SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-04-05, 08:24 PM   #1
Peter Henry

Default Carbon Fibre.

Not wishing to sound like one of the great unwashed! But am I some kind of odd ball in that carbon fibre bits and bobs do not really inspire me? I contradict myself to some degree when I mention that my first little treat for Lolita has been a very well made and shaped hugger in said material which though made in Italy arrived from the Uk next day! This purchase was made with a practical outlook,that is to protect rear shocker and underneath of rear of bike. This is now fitted and does look good.
However there is almost no end to the parts you can get for bikes but apart from the qualities of said material,is there some other point I am missing?
Please feel free to enlighten me!
Old 28-04-05, 08:33 PM   #2
Carsick

It's really light and like most things that are originally used to enhance performance in some way, it has become a fashion thing.
I personally don't find it that appealling, but if used well (or more specifically, used properly) then it can look nice.
Old 28-04-05, 09:35 PM   #3
BURNER

CF is fine in certain applications but carbon look in unforgiveable like on the dash of my SV
Old 28-04-05, 09:36 PM   #4
K

Most definately a fashion accessory for me!

Yeah weight saving yadda yadda yadda, racing applications blah blah blah. I think the few bits I've got look good on my Black SV.

'Carbon Look' is however, both 'bad' and 'wrong'... I'd even go as far as to say it's Badong! (Let's see what sad people get that movie quote!)
Old 28-04-05, 09:40 PM   #5
Carsick

Quote:
Originally Posted by K
'Carbon Look' is however, both 'bad' and 'wrong'... I'd even go as far as to say it's Badong! (Let's see what sad people get that movie quote!)
I haven't see that film.
Damn!
Ok, I may have done.
Old 28-04-05, 09:58 PM   #6
Wiltshire7

i chose a carbon fibre tank protector as a normal plastic one would have slowed me down too much \/
Old 28-04-05, 10:15 PM   #7
Godikus

Quote:
Originally Posted by K
Kung Pow ..... love that film

My mate just got a wee honda cityfly 125. second hand. came with some unbelievable carbon look bits. the entire handlebars for example... madness. it has now been dubed ****tyfly acordingly
Old 28-04-05, 10:56 PM   #8
Jelster

Hmmmm Carbon....... Can never have too much carbon on a bike, but then, it has been said I have a fettish for the stuff

Old 29-04-05, 04:24 AM   #9
Shooter

My bike came loaded with CF and it sure seems to attract a crowd. I like the contrast.

One thing I notice is the god awful sound a stone makes as it flys thru between the wheels and the front CF guard or the rear CF hugger.

Freaked me the first few times but getting used to it now.
Old 29-04-05, 08:24 AM   #10
Ceri JC

Peter, no I agree with you, carbon doesn't do much for me either.

A marginal weight saving for a lot more shekels. Lay off the pies and cakes for the same effect, but much cheaper!

I can see the practical application on race bikes, but on road bikes if most people are honest, it's largely an aesthetic thing. Also, in places where it's likely to become scuffed (eg heel plates) it tends to lose its nice appearence quicker than stock bits. The only carbon I have on mine is the tax disk holder, because I was toying with the idea of putting it somewhere it'd affect the unsprung weight (very very slightly, I know).

I think a lot of the 'tart's carbon', like fuel cap covers that actually stick over existing ones, thereby adding to weight rather than saving it, and 'carbon look' stuff is fairly tasteless. I don't actually like the pattern of carbon much, colour matched stuff looks better IMO, but then, I've never been into race rep looks. In some applications, such as bar ends, surely carbon is inferior to stock parts (eg would cause more bar vibes, less protection in a low speed spill etc.)