SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 22-03-20, 08:32 AM   #11
Craig380
Mega Poster

Default Re: pay at the pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
If you're using PAP to avoid Covid-19 I'm not convinced it's any safer than going to the desk.

When I fill up I keep my gloves on, fill the tank then walk inside and once inside the store I'll remove one glove and retrieve my card from my pocket/wallet, and pay contactless. Return card to pocket/wallet, glove back on, back to bike and ride away. I don't kiss the girl behind the desk, or have any contact with anyone or anything. I regard the outside of my gloves as "dirty" so I try and avoid touching them with my hands and as soon as I return home they are left in the garage with the bike where I wash my hands before entering the house.

To do PAP you invariably have to remove a glove to both put your card into the slot and to punch in your PIN. When you retrieve your card you are again gloveless. Both the contact your card has had with the reader, and you touching the keypad, have the potential to transfer Covid-19. You then put your glove back on which transfers any infection to the inside of your glove, so you now have to wash your hands every time you remove your glove before eating anything or even touching your face.......
+1. However, if I'm forced to take my helmet off before being able to fill (like I was yesterday), I make sure to sneeze violently over the pump I was using
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-20, 08:57 AM   #12
DJ123
Mega Poster

just wash your hands over with some petrol/diesel - that'll kill the virus off!

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-20, 09:06 AM   #13
Seeker
Mega Poster

I have been using cash at an Esso station, they don't make you remove your helmet but don't have contactless payment. My local Tesco requests you remove your helmet (from what I've read) but I only have ever used them for filling up my car. I was thinking of using PaP at Tesco - I have silk inner gloves - so remove outer glove and continue wearing inner glove before handling pump/keypad.

When I was a kid I thought the idea of having an adventure would be exciting, turns out that it isn't.
Old 22-03-20, 09:51 AM   #14
DJ123
Mega Poster

there is only one petrol station I know that makes you remove your helmet before filling up even! Solstice Services on the A303. I avoid filing up there due to that policy; they don't make people remove their hats, scarfs, sunglasses etc before filling up.....

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-20, 12:36 PM   #15
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

I was told to close my boot lid yesterday before the assistant would turn the pump on. I had retrieved the jerry can if you were wondering. As I had to go in to pay I asked asked why was I told to do so and the very polite lady said it obstructed her view of what was going on at the pump behind. As it is the only town centre filling station, and the cheapest unless you go two miles to Asda, they get some right scrotes in there. Fair enough.

Have never been asked to remove my lid though, there or anywhere else, so I think I've been lucky.
Old 22-03-20, 09:45 PM   #16
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
I was thinking of using PaP at Tesco - I have silk inner gloves - so remove outer glove and continue wearing inner glove before handling pump/keypad.
It's not about touching something with the skin on your hand, you don't catch a virus that way. It's all about transferring the virus from something you have touched to your mucous membrane (these are in your mouth, eyes and nose). This is typically done by someone rubbing their eye, picking their nose, touching their lips or eating something after they have touched an infected surface. This is why getting people to continually wash their hands is the most effective measure to stop infection. Wearing a paper mask should be effective because it prevents you inadvertently touching your face, however in practice people adjust them so often that it means they are more likely to contaminate it and lodge the virus right where they don't want it......

The virus can live for a period of time on your hand, but also on surfaces, hard longer than soft. Touching the pump with your inner glove may transfer the virus to it, which isn't a problem providing you take the inner glove off before touching your face. As it's almost impossible to take the second inner glove off without touching the outside of it with your other uncovered hand you need to remember to wash your hands immediately you take them off. Remember your card is still dirty, think about that next time you get it out of your wallet.

The safest way to do PAP is to remove your motorcycle glove and put on a disposable glove such as the ones they provide for diesel filling. Have an alcohol based sanitiser wipe ready to wipe you card when you remove it (and you could do the keypad as well if your feeling public spirited). Put your card away before picking up the pump handle. When you have finished peel the glove off turning it inside out and dropping it into the bin.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-20, 02:04 PM   #17
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
I've never used PATP in the UK, the petrol station I normally use doesn't offer it. I thought I'd switch to a station that does but I was reading that they now pre-authorise your card for £99, is that correct?
Was this way, with one supermarket. Now no longer done, by anyone.

End of conversation.
Old 25-03-20, 02:15 PM   #18
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
It's not about touching something with the skin on your hand, you don't catch a virus that way. It's all about transferring the virus from something you have touched to your mucous membrane (these are in your mouth, eyes and nose). This is typically done by someone rubbing their eye, picking their nose, touching their lips or eating something after they have touched an infected surface. This is why getting people to continually wash their hands is the most effective measure to stop infection. Wearing a paper mask should be effective because it prevents you inadvertently touching your face, however in practice people adjust them so often that it means they are more likely to contaminate it and lodge the virus right where they don't want it......

The virus can live for a period of time on your hand, but also on surfaces, hard longer than soft. Touching the pump with your inner glove may transfer the virus to it, which isn't a problem providing you take the inner glove off before touching your face. As it's almost impossible to take the second inner glove off without touching the outside of it with your other uncovered hand you need to remember to wash your hands immediately you take them off. Remember your card is still dirty, think about that next time you get it out of your wallet.

The safest way to do PAP is to remove your motorcycle glove and put on a disposable glove such as the ones they provide for diesel filling. Have an alcohol based sanitiser wipe ready to wipe you card when you remove it (and you could do the keypad as well if your feeling public spirited). Put your card away before picking up the pump handle. When you have finished peel the glove off turning it inside out and dropping it into the bin.
I'd argue simply leaving your gloves on is the best bet, leave everything on - not likely to touch your face if you've got a helmet on with your visor down, eh? Take gloves off by placing them under your arm and pulling your hand out.

I've been wiping every door handle, lift button and key fob we use. I realise people have been utter bams and bought all the wipes, leaving most with none (my wife got us a single pack from her dentist office where she works) but I think everyone's got a social responsibility to do this. It'll help massively.
Old 25-03-20, 03:32 PM   #19
Seeker
Mega Poster

I used my usual Esso station on Monday and they had introduced disposable gloves at each pump for fuel delivery, which is good but it leaves the problem of using the touchpad since they don't have contactless. What we need is a spray so we can see the virus
Old 25-03-20, 09:44 PM   #20
Mega Poster

If you have disposable gloves, why would a touchpad be an issue?