SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 15-02-08, 09:08 AM   #1
skint

Default You never know when this could come in handy...

Subject: You never know when this could come in handy

I haven't as yet proved these so be careful and try them out!

4 THINGS YOU PROBABLY NEVER KNEW YOUR MOBILE PHONE COULD DO There are a few things that can be done in times of grave emergencies. Your mobile phone can actually be a life saver or an emergency tool for survival. Check out the things that you can do with it:
Emergency
The Emergency Number worldwide for Mobile is 112. If you find yourself out of the coverage area of your mobile; network and there is an emergency, dial 112 and the mobile will search any existing network to establish the emergency number for you, and interestingly this number 112 can be dialed even if the keypad is locked. Try it out.
Have you locked your keys in the car?
Does your car have remote keyless entry? This may come in handy someday. Good reason to own a cell phone: If you lock your keys in the car and the spare keys are at home, call someone at home on their mobile phone from your cell phone. Hold your cell phone about a foot from your car door and have the person at your home press the unlock button, holding it near the mobile phone on their end. Your car will unlock. Saves someone from having to drive your keys to you. Distance is no object. You could be hundreds of miles away, and if you can reach someone who has the other 'remote' for your car, you can unlock the doors (or the trunk).
Editor's Note: It works fine! We tried it out and it unlocked our car over a mobile phone!'

Hidden Battery Power
Imagine your mobile battery is very low. To activate, press the keys *3370# Your mobile will restart with this reserve and the instrument will show a 50% increase in battery. This reserve will get charged when you charge your mobile next time.

How to disable a STOLEN mobile phone?
To check your Mobile phone's serial number, key in the following digits on your phone * # 0 6 # A 15 digit code will appear on the screen. This number is unique to your handset. Write it down and keep it somewhere safe. When your phone get stolen, you can phone your service provider and give them this code. They will then be able to block your handset so even if the thief changes the SIM card, your phone will be totally useless. You probably won't get your phone back, but at least you know that whoever stole it can't use/sell it either. If everybody does this, there would be no point in people stealing mobile phones.

Last edited by skint; 15-02-08 at 09:13 AM.
Old 15-02-08, 09:13 AM   #2
G
Mega Poster

Default Re: You never know when this could come in handy...

The reserve battery thing doesnt work

I cant see the mobile thing working either, its surely transmits sound not waves
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-08, 09:23 AM   #3
Ceri JC

The serial no. thing is a nice idea, but it only blocks your phone where it is registered (in most people's case, the UK). Would be good if it weren't for the fact that well over 90% of mobile phones that are stolen leave the country on ship in containers destined for the east, in particular India.

I don't know about the battery reserve thing on othere phones, but it doesn't work on my (ubiquitous) Nokia 6021.

The remote keyfob thing sounds like a nice idea (and from a theoretical POV could be possible if both your car and phone were bluetooth enabled and paired- could be a nice feature to see in future if phone and car companies collaborated on the issue. Given Ford's recent integration of bluetooth and phone pairing in the USA, it looks like this may well happen in the not too distant future), but I think it's nonsense. I've not tested it, but I don't see how it could possibly work. For it to be transmitted from a landline of someone with the keys it would have to be based on very high pitched sound, which even if your phone's speaker could reproduce, would be shaved off to save bandwidth on the phone network (low frequency sounds are also removed). It's technologically possible if your keyfob worked on IR and both the sending and recieving phone also had IR built in, but I don't believe phones transmit background IR as a matter of course (if they do you could use the same trick to open remote garage doors, change tv channels, etc.)

112 thankfully is correct and can sometimes work when a phone reports zero coverage (useful if hiking).
Old 15-02-08, 09:30 AM   #4
Tiger 55

1 - Maybe
2 - No
3 - No
4 - Kind of

Urban Legends refers...
Old 15-02-08, 10:06 AM   #5
pencil shavings

The 112 thing is true and works. but iirc its only Europe not Global.
Old 15-02-08, 10:41 AM   #6
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencil shavings View Post
The 112 thing is true and works. but iirc its only Europe not Global.
European landlines and anywhere (globally) where there's GSM mobile coverage.
Old 15-02-08, 11:28 AM   #7
tigersaw
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by skint View Post
dial 112 and the mobile will search any existing network to establish the emergency number for you, and interestingly this number 112 can be dialed even if the keypad is locked. Try it out.

Not a good suggestion
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-08, 11:32 AM   #8
jambo
Mega Poster

112 works on any GSM network that your phone supports. It will use say an O2 transmitter even if you're with Vodafone. If there are no GSM posts near you then you're out of luck. People sometimes get a bit carried away and claim it works on the underground and uses satalites and would work where a normal mobile wouldn't, which is rubbish.

As far as I know 112 is simply used to provide a standard, on my phone for instance 911, and 999 also get through the key lock and should work in the same way as above.
Old 15-02-08, 11:37 AM   #9
blueto

battery thing does not work on the nokia n73! says requesting........not done!

boo hoo. as my battery is always running out
Old 15-02-08, 03:17 PM   #10
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

Talking Re: You never know when this could come in handy...

Hmm,

However what you forgot to mention is the also very handy anti mugger effect of the phone.

Keep your phone in one leg of a pair of old tights and when you get mugged, pull it out and you have a handy comparison with a billiard ball in a sock. Tw*t the bu**er around the head with it and then run away.

Mum always told me that you should cut the tendons in the back of the knee too and push a 6 inch nail in their ear really really hard. Maybe that is why they keep her locked up in that special hospital
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote