SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 28-07-12, 07:27 PM   #1
agy

Default anyone else not bothered about non stop filtering?

I'm sure I'm in the minority here but wondered if there is anyone else out there who is not mad about squeezing into every single gap possible. Yeah, I filter if the traffic is slow and I am 100% positive I am safe but if everyone else is moving roughly at the speed limit, I don't see the need to try to overtake left right and centre. I'm never in a rush. I don't always push myself to the front at traffic lights if I think the lights might change back to green any second now or there's too much gymnastics involved.

Today I rode with a friend who incidentally failed her first attempt at full license two weeks ago (although she has a bunch of excuses for it) and on our way back, we actually lost each other cos she just kept getting into gaps when I exercised my laid back approach. I feel a bit stupid, like I should have kept up esp since she's on a 125 and I'm on a 650 but I just honestly don't have those kind of inclinations. I love riding my bike but I'm happy doing it the way I'm doing it now. The said friend once said I'm not a good biker cos it should be in my blood. Should it?
Old 28-07-12, 07:36 PM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: anyone else not bothered about non stop filtering?

filter don't filter its up to the individual. personally i like the bike for the reason i can get to the front of a Q. but i'm blessed living in scotland as the only Q's you see are in the main central belt.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-12, 07:46 PM   #3
agy

yes in front of a queue if traffic is slow/not moving but if everyone is moving at a good pace, personally I'm happy with that. i have no need to go any faster
Old 28-07-12, 08:00 PM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

wont filter above 20mph in town or 40mph on MW/DC's and will only filter if its continuous lines of traffic. if traffic is spread out but just moving slow then i'll just move along with it unless i'm in a hurry then i'll play the gaps but i'm never in that much of a hurry
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-12, 08:03 PM   #5
agy

exactly

That's pretty much what I'd do

Last edited by agy; 28-07-12 at 08:04 PM.
Old 28-07-12, 08:16 PM   #6
kellyjo

Just do what you're comfortable with. I've consciously slowed the speeds I ride at and as a result tend to always ride alone now.
Some days I filter at every opportunity and have a big grin as I do so, other days I'm happy to sit and wait. A good biker friend should be happy to accept and understand that.
Old 28-07-12, 08:55 PM   #7
Bri w

As the mood takes me. Sometimes I filter, and sometimes I'm driving Miss Daisy just pottering along. I find biking very relaxing and I'm turning into Grandad potterer.

Currently - Fighting the urge... seen a nice Triumph America

Previously - Honda CB125, Honda CB400-4 & BSA B40, Moto Guzzi 850, Yamaha RD250, Suzuki GT380, Kawasaki Z1B, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VFR, Triumph Street Triple R.
Bri w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-12, 09:28 PM   #8
Lozzo

I think I understand now what this 'filtering' thing is now t's been explained... you wouldn't catch me doing it, far too risky.
Old 28-07-12, 09:43 PM   #9
kiggles

filtering is the amount of risk you want to take. i filtered the m25 at 50 where traffic is doing 40, almost ended up in the back of a BMW who changed lanes with no indication.

yet earlier on in the week and even till now sometimes i cant be bothered to filter, then a pizza delivery person on L plates under takes me, cuts me up and decides to over take a car causing the car on the other side of the road to slam on their brakes. for which i decided to over take at an open part of the road with no junctions. stop infront of him at a red light. pull away in front of him then sit at the speed limit. at the next red traffic light shout to him, get a proper licence before you decide to over take other bikers dangerously.

goes same with speed, some people are faster then others on tight country lanes where 60 mph is hard to do safely. doesnt mean their good riders just means they take more risks.
Old 28-07-12, 09:46 PM   #10
bert682

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
wont filter above 20mph in town or 40mph on MW/DC's and will only filter if its continuous lines of traffic. if traffic is spread out but just moving slow then i'll just move along with it unless i'm in a hurry then i'll play the gaps but i'm never in that much of a hurry
40 is my magic number too. I like riding the bike and would like to be around to ride it tomorrow

Rob

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2