SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 21-09-06, 10:09 AM   #1
Nekkid

Default Ebay hoo-ha

Mornin' all.
Got a bit of a 'thing' going on with an ebay seller at the moment, and wanted to know what you thought.

I bought a radio remote flash trigger for my camera, which was listed as being compatible with a Canon 430ex flashgun, which is what I have.

So I tried the unit and it just fired the flash over and over i.e. Not Working Correctly.

So I mailed the seller, who suggested that I needed to cover some of the metal contacts on the flash hotshoe to make the unit work with that flash. now, it said nothing about that in the listing.

I've since read on the net that the flash unit I have emits tiny RF waves, which interfere with the trigger unit. I have confirmed this by just holding the unit lose to the flash, then moving it further away. Within one inch or so, the trigger goes nuts, when you move it away, it stops.

Now, I could buy a short cord to attach the unit to my flash, which would work because it then wouldn't be right next to it. Problem is, the cords are expensive, and they wear out fast, so you need to buy at least one spare.

Anyway, the seller has said they will accept the unit back as faulty, but I have to pay the postage. It came from HK and the postage was the same amount as the unit, so clearly it's not worth me sending it back!

My point is this - leaving aside the technical gubbins, the unit will not work with the flash it was advertised for without me purchasing an extra part. This was not mentioned in the listing. So shouldn't the seller pay for the postage?

I'd be grateful if someone with experience of this sort of thing could give me some advice.

TIA!
Old 21-09-06, 10:12 AM   #2
the_runt69

Threaten them with you reporting them to EBay as selling something unfit for purpose. If the unit doesnt do what id said in the ad then you are not at fault unless they have put a disclaimer on it.

H
Old 21-09-06, 10:33 AM   #3
ArtyLady

I believe alot of it depends on whether it was an auction or Buy it now, Also Im not sure whether it makes a difference if he is business or if he is a private seller?

Have a look at the Distance Selling Regulations to see where you stand legally -
http://www.oft.gov.uk/Business/Legal/DSR/default.htm

edit - just seen it came from HK not sure whether DSR would apply out of the EU?
Old 21-09-06, 11:00 AM   #4
Nekkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by need2ride
I believe alot of it depends on whether it was an auction or Buy it now, Also Im not sure whether it makes a difference if he is business or if he is a private seller?

Have a look at the Distance Selling Regulations to see where you stand legally -

edit - just seen it came from HK not sure whether DSR would apply out of the EU?
It was a Buy it Now. I really just wanted to know what Ebay's take on it would be, given that it was advertised wrongly. I don't want to demand the seller pays the postage if Ebay aint gonna back me up! It was only 20 notes, so I can't be bothered with too much hassle. I'll just give them back feedback!
Old 21-09-06, 11:06 AM   #5
ArtyLady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekkid
Quote:

It was a Buy it Now. I really just wanted to know what Ebay's take on it would be, given that it was advertised wrongly. I don't want to demand the seller pays the postage if Ebay aint gonna back me up! It was only 20 notes, so I can't be bothered with too much hassle. I'll just give them back feedback!
I dont know what their stance on postage would be - I just thought the above link would help - until I saw you got it from HK - I spose it depends on how much the postage is as to whether you bother sending it back
Old 21-09-06, 11:36 AM   #6
Nekkid

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekkid
Quote:

I dont know what their stance on postage would be - I just thought the above link would help - until I saw you got it from HK - I spose it depends on how much the postage is as to whether you bother sending it back
Loke I said, the postage was about the same as the item, so not worth sending it back.
Old 21-09-06, 12:49 PM   #7
arenalife

Spin it back on eBay with a better description. Some you win, some you lose. The good things eBay has done for me considerably outweigh the very few disappointments.
Old 21-09-06, 12:53 PM   #8
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

I believe ebay and paypal would back you up. I find paypal's complaints better to deal with.

First piece of advice is to price up how much it is to return.
If it is less than you've been charged, ebay will back you up, they hate peeps avoiding ebay fees by loading the postage.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-06, 01:15 PM   #9
Shellywoozle
Mega Poster

Have you asked the seller if they will credit you the postage into your paypal account, they may prefer to do that then get negative feedback, always worth a shot.

I feel the same, I just bought a small item anf it was faulty, they are sending me out another one but I have to pay the postage on the item I am sending back, which makes it more expensive.

As has been said - some you win some you loose. I am finding ebay more of a nightmare just recently, you have to be so careful.

Shell
Black K4 Pointy named Zuky, OEM belly pan, OEM hugger, OEM cowl, R&G bungs, akrapovic system, tinted double bubble Fabbri screen, tail tidy, scottoiler, alarm, datatagged, lowered seat for short ass rider named Shell.

RIP PC David Rathband sad day 29/2/2012
Shellywoozle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-06, 02:43 PM   #10
Nekkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellywoozle
Have you asked the seller if they will credit you the postage into your paypal account, they may prefer to do that then get negative feedback, always worth a shot.

I feel the same, I just bought a small item anf it was faulty, they are sending me out another one but I have to pay the postage on the item I am sending back, which makes it more expensive.

As has been said - some you win some you loose. I am finding ebay more of a nightmare just recently, you have to be so careful.

Shell
Yup, I have emailed asking them to pay the postage and explaining why.