SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-12-07, 03:31 PM   #1
Blue_SV650S

Default ebike ins - am I covered to ride other peoples bikes?

Do you have ebike insurance?

Its my bike ins renewal time and thinking of going ebike as you can have 4 bikes on the same policy and it is a few quid cheaper. However my current insurance allows me to ride other peoples bike TPO - I can’t really make out if I would be covered to ride other peoples bikes under ebike insurance … also if that is true, is it still the same for TPFT as well as fullycomp?
Old 21-12-07, 03:32 PM   #2
Paws

Default Re: ebike ins - am I covered to ride other peoples bikes?

dont think you can as me and tsm were having chat about this the other nioght
Old 21-12-07, 03:40 PM   #3
rigor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebikes website
Q:Can I ride other bikes? Am I covered third party to ride any bike? Can I ride a friend’s bike? Can I get temporary cover on someone else’s bike?
A: No.

We do not provide a 'Riding Other Bikes' extension on the policy.

The 'Riding of any bike not belonging to the policyholder' cover was originally designed for emergency use only and misuse has resulted in an increase in claims due to riders having a go on an unfamiliar bike and then crashing it (eg, someone who has just passed their test riding their mate's R1).

This in turn would have a knock on effect to all policy holders and increase insurance premiums - which is something we all want to avoid!

At eBike, we are trying to minimise costs to provide realistic premiums - if we introduce this cover across the board, premiums will go up for everyone.

We are however looking to introduce a scheme whereby people who want this cover can pay an extra premium to have it - this is still some way off though.

Guess that's a no then
Old 21-12-07, 03:44 PM   #4
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

They used to cover it, but I don't believe they do anymore. Which is annoying as it was useful to be able to ride Liz's bikes to get them MOT'd and serviced and its now a PIA to do it.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-07, 03:49 PM   #5
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

No it wont.My policy with Hastings does cover this,but my car policy no longer allows driving other cars.Also with Hastings.
Old 21-12-07, 04:10 PM   #6
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigor View Post
Guess that's a no then
Hummm .. well found ... I clicked on 'Helpdesk and FAQ' and didn't find that ... (where did you find it, have I just been blind?!? ) ...

Anyway you have answered my question ... that sux and might keep me with my current ins co ... like I said there is only a tenner in it money wise and I get TPO to ride other ppls bikes at the mo ...

Last edited by Blue_SV650S; 21-12-07 at 04:13 PM.
Old 21-12-07, 04:24 PM   #7
rigor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S View Post
Hummm .. well found ... I clicked on 'Helpdesk and FAQ' and didn't find that ... (where did you find it, have I just been blind?!? ) ...

On the FAQ page you can type in your question, I typed "other bikes" and it was halfway down the pages

Funnily enough if you copy and paste the exact question from their FAQ into the box it doesn't come up with the answer
Old 21-12-07, 04:43 PM   #8
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigor View Post
On the FAQ page you can type in your question, I typed "other bikes" and it was halfway down the pages
Ahhh ... I figured that was how one posts a NEW question ... and the eiting q/a were all below ...

Anyway, 'played' and I now know the answer I was looking for
Old 21-12-07, 04:48 PM   #9
wheelnut

Ive used Ebike for 4 years and its the only thing in life that gets cheaper each year.

To be honest the point of being able to ride other peoples bikes is irrelevant because if you asked me for a ride on mine, the answer would be no, it would most definately be no if I knew you were only insured 3rd party as is the case with any motor policy.

Even European Green Cards are only 3rd party unless you pay extra for full cover
Old 21-12-07, 06:58 PM   #10
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelnut View Post
To be honest the point of being able to ride other peoples bikes is irrelevant because if you asked me for a ride on mine, the answer would be no,
Thankfully I have friends that are more trusting than you so it is not useless to me!

It also helps when buying a new bike as you can take it on a test ride (you still need to leave a deposit, but you are legally entitled to ride).

Either way it is a useful thing to have, a bit like 3rd party on anyone's/any car under my car policy!!

Last edited by Blue_SV650S; 21-12-07 at 07:02 PM.