SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-12-08, 05:37 PM   #1
Davies

Unhappy Ducati out of BSB

Taken from here

Quote:

Ducati UK will not contest the 2009 British Superbike Championship after being unable to secure a team to defend their manufactures crown.
Ducati had a fantastic 2008, winning a number of titles with the 1098R: the British Superbike Championship with Airwaves Ducati and Shane Byrne; the Superbike Cup with North West 200 and John Laverty, the World Superbike Championship with Troy Bayliss and the European Superstock crown with Brendan Roberts. Ducati were hoping to build on the success of this year with a strong line-up for 2009, but in the end, negotiations to field a team have been unsuccessful.

Tim Maccabee, Managing Director of Ducati UK commented on the news, "The 1098R has proven to be a winning machine and this makes it all the more frustrating not to be in BSB next year, but we owe it to Ducati and to race fans to put together as strong a team as possible. Unfortunately due to a number of factors we have been unable find a team solution that will allow us to compete at the highest level. We do however expect to be back in 2010."

Although Ducati will be not be competing in British Superbikes, they are expected to field riders in British Superstock with the new 1198S and will continue to have a strong presence in both World Superbikes and MotoGP
Old 16-12-08, 06:06 PM   #2
Dangerous Dave

Default Re: Ducati out of BSB

No factory Dukes or no Dukes at all?
Old 16-12-08, 07:16 PM   #3
zsv650

oh dear what a shame never mind im sure everyone will miss them and their truly epic engine advantage over all the other teams.
Old 16-12-08, 07:37 PM   #4
MR UKI (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
No factory Dukes or no Dukes at all?
GSE are racing Yamaha's and Buildbase NW200 Ducati squad didnt want Rutter in BSB as the Ducati factory team prefer younger riders, but offered him a management role in BSB and road rides (TT, NW200 etc). I think the NW200/Kennedy guys want Rutter so according to threads on BSB forum their money will move with Rutter, maybe to partner Chris Walker on a Yamaha or possibly Crescent Suzuki.
Old 16-12-08, 07:39 PM   #5
MR UKI (1)

Just seen update on BSB site, NW200 Yamaha as Rutter and NW200 sponsorship have moved to Rob Mac.

http://www.britishsuperbike.com/arti...p?article=1734
Old 16-12-08, 07:40 PM   #6
Dangerous Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR UKI (1) View Post
GSE are racing Yamaha's and Buildbase NW200 Ducati squad didnt want Rutter in BSB as the Ducati factory team prefer younger riders, but offered him a management role in BSB and road rides (TT, NW200 etc). I think the NW200/Kennedy guys want Rutter so according to threads on BSB forum their money will move with Rutter, maybe to partner Chris Walker on a Yamaha or possibly Crescent Suzuki.
Ahh... yeah just read that Rutter has signed to partner Walker at Rob Mac.
Old 17-12-08, 11:02 AM   #7
DanAbnormal

This makes no sense to me at all. What am I missing?

They are a winning bike, why would no one want to build a team. Are there imposed rules/money issues to be considered?
Old 17-12-08, 11:12 AM   #8
Dangerous Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanAbnormal View Post
What am I missing?
Dispite them pushing for the new rules to allow them to run the bigger engines for 2008, meaning less tuning is needed and the cost of the bike and compenents was reduced, the cost of running a minimum of two Ducati's is still high.
Old 17-12-08, 01:08 PM   #9
Supervox
No more Mr Nice Guy
Mega Poster

Even though I posted a reply in the other 'BSB without Ducati' thread, I'll repeat my sentiments here -

Quite simply I'm ecstatic that there will be no Ducati entry next year (barring any privateers of course) as IMHO it means that for the first time in ages there will be good EQUAL racing. None of this 'oversized engine but reduced level of tuning' rubbish.

I don't care what sort of engine layout a manufacturer chooses to use - the rules should state a maximum engine capacity & a list of what can & cannot be 'tinkered' with - end of story.
Old 17-12-08, 02:37 PM   #10
Daimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supervox View Post
I don't care what sort of engine layout a manufacturer chooses to use - the rules should state a maximum engine capacity & a list of what can & cannot be 'tinkered' with - end of story.

So your singular opinion is right, and 20 years of WSB racing with Ducati ALWAYS having a cc advantage, have been proven wrong?

As far as i know, Ducati haven't won every single WSB championship since it began?

Same applies for BSB....

A twin will NEVER keep up or be anywhere near the pace of a same cc IL4 engine.