SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-10-08, 02:55 PM   #1
riktherider

Default Hornet 919 who has one??

i want to buy another bike, aswell as the sv, and i quite like the hornet 900. just wondering if anyone has one on here or what people think of them?? im looking at models 02-04. problem is they lack power, so i will have to do a bit of work to get it close to fireblade status, cams, ecu remap, ful exhuast system (which i cant seem to find one anywhere!) etc.
had a look at a couple and they look really well built (typical honda quality) etc.

whats your two cents???
Old 03-10-08, 02:59 PM   #2
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Default Re: Hornet 919 who has one??

A friend of mine had one and found it rather underwhelming. Said it did everything incredibly well, but was like a ford mondeo on 2 wheels.
Old 03-10-08, 03:02 PM   #3
riktherider

ha ha ha. i like mondeos too! well thats why i kinda want to liven it up a tad. get it up to fireblade spec, decent suspension, and bobs your uncle, should be a decent bike. quite rare too by the looks of things.
Old 03-10-08, 03:06 PM   #4
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Motor is strong enough for nitrous Quite a big shot too...
Old 03-10-08, 03:13 PM   #5
DanAbnormal

Believe me when I say the Hornet 600 is far superior in every way. Not sure what happend that week at the Honda design board but they managed to make a 900cc bike slower than the 600cc one. It's lardy and boring and slow.

Hornet 600 is light, quick and damn good fun. I'm on my 2nd Hornet 600. Love 'em.

The 919 is 'rare' yes. Also know as crap, so not many bought them.
Old 03-10-08, 03:19 PM   #6
riktherider

thats why i want to make mine different! make a good one! i love the sv to bits, but i need a larger motor to have a good fun blast on. anything over 80-90 (on an airfield of coarse!!) its a bitch and i like to be lasy. im taking one for a test ride at the weekend, and comparing it to the bandit. then think about finding a donor fireblade engine to mutilize and get the most out of this motor
Old 03-10-08, 03:27 PM   #7
injury_ian

Fzs1000 is the betterer option, wiped the floor with it
Old 03-10-08, 03:28 PM   #8
DanAbnormal

Maybe if you change the chassis, engine and suspension you may get a better one. I would rather have Bandit 12 any day.

I wouldn't spend all that money doing it up. It would still be a bad bike. What about buying an older Fireblade and making it naked?

Somehow it's top speed is lower than a Hornet 600. What exactly would you do to improve that. Even if you tuned the engine a tuned Hornet 600 would probably still be faster! FZ1 is a good place to start.
Old 03-10-08, 03:41 PM   #9
riktherider

i do like the fz1, but havent got enough money to get one. my initial thought were to change the motor for the fireblade one, but ive been told all i will need to do to take it back up to fireblade spec is to change the cams, valves, sort the stupid exhaust, and remap. however i think an engine swap with a newer 929 balade would be better. then get around 150-160 bhp with some extra tuning, and betetr gearbox, shoudl make it a decent bike.
as for the fazor, i dont like the look of it, they done a good job on the new fz1, but older models suck. as for the bandit, i do love the power of it, but the quality of it really does suck!!! build quality and materials are awfull.

as for streetfighting a blade, it would still be a blade and quiet expencive to insure. the hornet is dead cheap to insure, even if i dont change much on it.
Old 03-10-08, 03:58 PM   #10
DanAbnormal

Quote:
Originally Posted by riktherider View Post
as for streetfighting a blade, it would still be a blade and quiet expencive to insure. the hornet is dead cheap to insure, even if i dont change much on it.
I'm pretty sure a Hornet 919 with a heavily tuned engine will also bump it up a few groups in the insurance co's. Well, good luck whatever you decide to do and remember to show us pics. You may want to visit the Hornets nest:
http://www.hondahornet.co.uk/message...1985f5004b5456)

Maybe someone has done what you want to (I am sure they already have). Also Fireblade forks/shock is a must if you're going the whole hog.