SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-09-12, 05:39 PM   #1
Scythe92

Default Carb fuel leak.

After the last two days out, I've noticed a small smell of fuel in my garage after putting my bike away.

Whipped the airbox off and had a feel round the carbs, the area which has fuel on it is opposite the carb cover, see red circled below. Sorry for the small pic, I took it off an ebay auction.

What is this part called? Will a simple strip and rebuild of carbs sort it, or is there a type of seal there that will need replacing?

I want to nip it in the bud asap before it gets any worse, right now it's only a slight drip of fuel.
Old 03-09-12, 08:19 PM   #2
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default Re: Carb fuel leak.

Picture is too small to tell exactly, got a bigger one?
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-12, 08:32 PM   #3
m1tch_1987

Gasket 14? Should be the float bowl gasket?

http://www.powersportsplus.com/image...08/08/0010.png

You might be able to temporarily seal it with some black silicone sealent (the one that is heat and fuel safe) the SV carbs and float bowls are at an angle due to the V twin layout so I guess that the gasket has just got old and has started leaking, you might even be able to make your own with some gasket material.

Last edited by m1tch_1987; 03-09-12 at 08:36 PM.
Old 03-09-12, 08:55 PM   #4
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

I've never seen a properly fitted 'O' ring there leak*, the float bowl could be loose, or the same could be true of the drain screw.

Need a more specific picture or description of fault to be sure.

*It could have been fitted arsewise or course, it could be pinched or not fitted in the groove correctly
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

Old 03-09-12, 09:15 PM   #5
Nicky S
Mega Poster

It could also be the black pipe ? As that is what feeds the carb with fuel. Check the clip and make sure the pipe is not ripped or broken.

If the gasket leaked woudnt the bike run like a dog ???

Nicky S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-12, 09:23 PM   #6
m1tch_1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky S View Post
It could also be the black pipe ? As that is what feeds the carb with fuel. Check the clip and make sure the pipe is not ripped or broken.

If the gasket leaked woudnt the bike run like a dog ???
If its the float bowl gasket than it would just keep pumping fuel in to bowl as it drops below the required level but yeah I would check the fuel pipe and clamp as well, the clips are fairly exposed so can corrode.
Old 03-09-12, 09:46 PM   #7
Scythe92

Fuel line is fine, I reseated it earlier to check. It is directly below the fuel line for the rear carb if anyone is familiar with it. I'll try to find a larger pic on google.

The bike has never had a problem until two days ago, you can smell it after a ride when my bike is in my garage approx 30 mins after I get home. It's a tiny leak right now, talking about 2 drops of fuel.

Yes m1tch it looks in a similar position to the float bowl gasket! I thought it might have been a gasket of some sort. I work during the day until 5 but I'll try to strip them down in the next few days. Can you buy a float bowl gasket from any suzuki dealer - a couple of pence I imagine?

The bike is also running fine too

Last edited by Scythe92; 03-09-12 at 09:48 PM.
Old 03-09-12, 09:53 PM   #8
m1tch_1987

I will take a photo of my carbs tomorrow as there don't seem to be that many detailed photos of the carbs close up, as its a japanese part its probably a million pounds lol
Old 03-09-12, 10:35 PM   #9
Scythe92

I've found a carb rebuild kit on wemoto for £20, containing the gasket, o-rings and floats etc. Bit annoying because I only need a gasket if diagnosis is correct.
Old 03-09-12, 10:38 PM   #10
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Guessing can be expensive, get it apart and find out exactly what is leaking.