SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

2009 Annual Rideout Discussions & info on the 2009 SV650.org's annual rideout

Old 26-05-09, 03:21 PM   #111
hovis

Default Re: AR Marking Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulKiss View Post
How do they differ from how you perceive this rideout will be?
mainly down to the fact that anyone can do drop offs, rather than just following the bike in front. to make it more intreasting, and not so much like a guided tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by the white rabbit View Post
Its similar to a normal rideout, but with two 'p's in it
Old 26-05-09, 03:31 PM   #112
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by the white rabbit View Post
Its similar to a normal rideout, but with two 'p's in it
Scroll up - I was ironically quoting the typo

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-09, 03:36 PM   #113
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovis View Post
mainly down to the fact that anyone can do drop offs, rather than just following the bike in front. to make it more intreasting, and not so much like a guided tour

You have been on an AR before - so you should know that it ISN'T like a standard Saturday morning run - and your "guided tour" comment isn't really that far off.

Thats the nature of a rideout that needs to cater for EVERY standard of riding that may be there.

So a slow bimble is what it has to be.

Old 26-05-09, 03:38 PM   #114
monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowsie View Post
Oops I thought TYM meant that there would be dedicated marker group and they would mark. My bad, think I misread.
I meant exacty that Stu except the markers would only have to mark once. Any monkey can do it and there's zero pressure as long as they can identify a a long outstretched arm with a pointing finger and are able to stop their bike safely and wear a yellow bib. We could even have some who mark once and others who return to the front. Geddit?
Old 26-05-09, 03:39 PM   #115
plowsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by teriyakimonkey View Post
I meant exacty that Stu except the markers would only have to mark once. Any monkey can do it and there's zero pressure as long as they can identify a a long outstretched arm with a pointing finger and are able to stop their bike safely and wear a yellow bib. We could even have some who mark once and others who return to the front. Geddit?
*Does the jive*

I was right
Old 26-05-09, 03:42 PM   #116
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by teriyakimonkey View Post
You are making it MUCH more complcated than it needs to be.......................

Seems to be trying to find a problem to assign a solution to.

Last edited by SoulKiss; 26-05-09 at 03:43 PM.
Old 26-05-09, 03:46 PM   #117
monkey

Surely the problem is people feeling like they've been buzzed and people wanting to mark? This would stop all of that. If there are 25 junctions and 25 yellow bib wearing folk, they would all start at the front and end towards the back. Simples.
Old 26-05-09, 03:46 PM   #118
hovis

Quote:
Scroll up - I was ironically quoting the typo

Quote:
You have been on an AR before - so you should know that it ISN'T like a standard Saturday morning run - and your "guided tour" comment isn't really that far off.

Thats the nature of a rideout that needs to cater for EVERY standard of riding that may be there.

So a slow bimble is what it has to be.
every rideout i have been on has catered for all types of rider, or i should say every SV650.org rideout has. thats the whole point of the marker system so nobody gets lost etc

i just dont see why everyone that wants to do drop offs cant
Old 26-05-09, 04:00 PM   #119
Sally

Rider 2 (first behind the leader), marks the first junction when the leader turns off.
Lets the whole group pass until he sees TEC, and rejoins at the back.

Next junction, the orginally 3rd rider(who is now behind the leader) marks the next junction, and rejoins when he/she sees the TEC.

And so on and so on..

Saves the need for markers that need to pass the whole group to get to the front to mark again.

But thats only my 2p.
Old 26-05-09, 04:23 PM   #120
Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by saoralba View Post
Rider 2 (first behind the leader), marks the first junction when the leader turns off.
Lets the whole group pass until he sees TEC, and rejoins at the back.

Next junction, the orginally 3rd rider(who is now behind the leader) marks the next junction, and rejoins when he/she sees the TEC.

And so on and so on..

Saves the need for markers that need to pass the whole group to get to the front to mark again.

But thats only my 2p.
That indeed is a very good system and works very well. However, it has also proved to be a disaster when used with people that do not understand the marker system properly or quite simply get bored with sitting there waiting for the tail end charley. There have also been instances where by a marker on a particular corner waited for so long he was convinced he must have missed the TEC and carried on. This was not the case and eventually riders arrived at the junction to find no marker. With dedicated markers this erases any of those possibilities.

The TVSF use the drop off system to very good effect. It just is not suitable for mass rideouts with unknown quantities. It only takes one single marker to decide not to mark the corner for a potential disaster to occur.