2009 Annual Rideout Discussions & info on the 2009 SV650.org's annual rideout

Old 16-05-09, 09:30 PM   #61
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Re: AR Marking Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonz View Post
But I really think that if being a marker was open and inclusive then it could foster greater pariticipation should folks wish to be part of this.
I totally understand where your coming from on this one.

Quote:
A suggesiton. How about creating some criterea to be markers on the day. One of the criterea could be any new markers must participate with a shakedown run with the ride leader as well as ridden the system as part of a group on the route. This could happen as part of the overall organisation etc and could help the organiser to ensure the routes and hazards are all checked prior as I am sure the organiser would like feedback and assistance.

Or if they are not local then they must have organised a few of local runs using the drop-off system with their section. Maybe it would help to build a greater local community through this as well. When I mean use the drop off system then use and communicate a standard set of rules such as what we used for France. These rules work when communicated clearly.

Other critereas maybe they are included for being IAM members or the such which all know the marker system well and I would consider as some of the safer riders out there who can bring a wealth of knowledge along with them. We can steel part of their regime and integrate it into our own values for training or meeting a criterea first.
IMHO all the markers we used last year met the above criteria. So with that in mind I think thats both sensible and achievable. Theres no point setting the bar to high and then it not being achievable. I'm not 100% on the IAM membership bit though.

Quote:
On another note if people are not markers and want to stop or drop off along the way then I think this should be encouraged and communicated to all. If a marker sees they are a potential hazard they are right there to say something to them.
This happened as far as I can tell during AR08 I am reasonably confident that Mattsv marked a junction and stayed there till a marker with a bib on caught up to the front and marked the junction instead allowing him to move on again.

I saw Stu stop and mark an exit of a roundabout, IIRC Sid Squid was there at the exit and stopped either just before or at the same time as Stu did. I definately recall seeing two Kwaks at the roundabout and neither of them had a "bear shaped" rider on them...

IIRC as well Cazza stopped to mark a junction as we peeled off to go over the ranges before we stopped at the view point overlooking Swanage / Lullworth she stopped at the junction till Sid Squid took over and she waited with Sid until I caught up ( I was TEC at that point )

Personally even if theres dedicated markers quite happy for peeps to stop I'd much rather that they stopped and marked rather than leaving a junction with nobody on it.

I'm still concious that some people use marking as an excuse to hoon through the pack a few people have said it on the forum in the past and I've also seen it happen. I am keen on making sure its not used as an excuse in this way.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-09, 09:42 PM   #62
Demonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
I'm still concious that some people use marking as an excuse to hoon through the pack a few people have said it on the forum in the past and I've also seen it happen. I am keen on making sure its not used as an excuse in this way.

Yes I agree. Maybe add to the rules no overtaking markers. And markers cant overtake markers (unless they are marking) - then have lots of qualified markers... that ought to work.
Old 16-05-09, 09:46 PM   #63
ArtyLady

I don't get it! I really don't!...what's the big deal about being a marker?!! Does it make you more attractive to the opposite sex or something? Aren't people grateful that marshalls are laid on for them? I know I wouldn't want to do it - far too much responsibility!...Oh wait a minute...of course! if I was to do it I could show off my riding skills!....No, I just want to enjoy the ride and if someone else has gone to the trouble to organise, lead and marshall it - great! Seriously...what IS the problem?!
Old 17-05-09, 12:01 AM   #64
petevtwin650

I like being a marker. I have done it before and have the confidence and experience to position myself so that I can be clearly seen to all the following bikes. I also enjoy progressing back to the front as usually a rideout pace may be slower than I prefer to travel. I may inadvertendly buzz someone or been perceived to do so. We are not all perfect riders all of the time. You cannot vet all the riders on a rideout whether they be markers or not. I have had bikes I'm passing pull out in front of me without looking or indicating. **** happens. At the end of the day we are all mates together as far as I'm concerned.

I do get a buzz from doing marking but also feel I'm helping, in a very small way, towards the smooth running of everybodies day.
Old 17-05-09, 02:12 AM   #65
northwind
Mega Poster

I have no idea why anyone wants to be a marker. I like being TEC, you never need to overtake anyone, and if you need to stop for a wee, nobody even knows

On 06, at one point I went completely off the rideout route, because there was a bike parked just off a roundabout who was nothing to do with the rideout. Luckily I twigged almost immediately otherwise I'd still be in wales to this day. Not to mention quite a few totally unmarked junctions where it became a leap of faith. Instead of picking holes in the system we have, just look at what it avoids.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-09, 08:11 AM   #66
ArtyLady

Northwind exactly my point about it being a responsibilty - I would much rather be TEC too if I had to choose

IMO there seem to be 5 types of rider in this whole debacle...sorry - scenario -
  • those who have the riding skills/attitude necessary to be a marker and don't need to massage their ego but genuinely are the type to enjoy helping out.
  • those who have the riding skills necessary to be a marker and AND an ego they want to massage
  • those who have limited/mediocre riding skills AND an ego that they want to massage.
  • those who have limited/mediocre riding skills and ADMIT that to themselves BUT don't need to prove anything.
  • those who have the riding skills/attitude necessary to be a marker and NO ego BUT they just want to enjoy the ride
Old 17-05-09, 08:48 AM   #67
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevtwin650 View Post
I do get a buzz from doing marking but also feel I'm helping, in a very small way, towards the smooth running of everybodies day.
Pete, were you bothered about not being asked to be marker on AR08 and what did you think to the marker system that was run on the day ?

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-09, 09:40 AM   #68
mattSV
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post

This happened as far as I can tell during AR08 I am reasonably confident that Mattsv marked a junction and stayed there till a marker with a bib on caught up to the front and marked the junction instead allowing him to move on again.
I think this was after we left Dorchester, opportunities for the markers to work their way back up were a bit limited due to the narrow roads, and eventually I found myself behind your Dad - we got to a T Junction, and there were no markers available so I stopped to mark it. I actually stayed and marked until quite a few 'official' markers had gone past - thought it better to give them a chance to work back up the front. It also gave me an opportunity to take a few pics of people approaching/leaving the junction

I had no issues with the choice of markers - whils Fizz would not actually have been responsible had anyone been lost/injured etc on the ride, I know that he would have been gutted if anything had happened. As organiser, he needed a team of people he could trust, without causing issues for anyone else on the road.

I would have been very happy to have been an 'official' marker, not because I wanted to 'feel special' to to have 'the right to blat through the pack' (although that is a buzz) - more because I would have felt that I had been able to help and contribute something to the day.
2013 - 2016 Triumph Explorer 1200
2016 - Ducati Multistrada DVT S
mattSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-09, 09:55 AM   #69
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevtwin650 View Post
i like being a marker. I have done it before and have the confidence and experience to position myself so that i can be clearly seen to all the following bikes. I also enjoy progressing back to the front as usually a rideout pace may be slower than i prefer to travel. I may inadvertendly buzz someone or been perceived to do so. We are not all perfect riders all of the time. You cannot vet all the riders on a rideout whether they be markers or not. I have had bikes i'm passing pull out in front of me without looking or indicating. **** happens. At the end of the day we are all mates together as far as i'm concerned.

I do get a buzz from doing marking but also feel i'm helping, in a very small way, towards the smooth running of everybodies day.
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsv View Post
i would have been very happy to have been an 'official' marker, not because i wanted to 'feel special' to to have 'the right to blat through the pack' more because i would have felt that i had been able to help and contribute something to the day.
+1
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-09, 10:12 AM   #70
Demonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtyLady View Post
Northwind exactly my point about it being a responsibilty - I would much rather be TEC too if I had to choose

IMO there seem to be 5 types of rider in this whole debacle...sorry - scenario -
  • those who have the riding skills/attitude necessary to be a marker and don't need to massage their ego but genuinely are the type to enjoy helping out.
  • those who have the riding skills necessary to be a marker and AND an ego they want to massage
  • those who have limited/mediocre riding skills AND an ego that they want to massage.
  • those who have limited/mediocre riding skills and ADMIT that to themselves BUT don't need to prove anything.
  • those who have the riding skills/attitude necessary to be a marker and NO ego BUT they just want to enjoy the ride
I dont know about the others but I personally dont think stereotyping and categorising folks would work to well on the day

No harm in wanting to TEC though.