SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 07-07-06, 08:22 AM   #521
keithd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDare

No neither have I
ooo you little bluffer! do you play poker?
Old 07-07-06, 09:02 AM   #522
lynw

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithd
Quote:
Quote:
water does NOT drain down a plughole one way in the northern hemisphere and the opposite way in the southern hemisphere.

a kind of a non fact if you will.
Yes it does, have you tried it?
nope.

but i've got it on good authority that it only depends on the shape of the basin/bath and which tap the water falls from i.e. left or right

i stand to be corrected tho!
No neither have I

Father in Law has, I thought it was to do with the earth spinning on its axis and aliens.
Having lived in Australia and the UK I can vouch it DOES go down the drain the opposite way to the other. No matter what basin/bath/shower you have in Australia, I have never seen it go the same way as in the UK.

Whats even more disconcerting are the stars are upside down too [again very disconcerting being used to Orion and other constellations being the other way round].

Just thought Id pop in and correct Keith :P I'll stop throwing my toys out the pram as long as someone doesnt make a political issue out of this one :P :P
Old 07-07-06, 09:17 AM   #523
keithd

what about this info then lyn?

http://www.loc.gov/rr/scitech/mysteries/coriolis.html
Old 07-07-06, 03:04 PM   #524
philipMac

Quote:
I wasntgoing to say anything... but I have to sort of agree with who ever wrote this page. I mean, maybe there is some tendancy for water to drain in a certain way, and maybe that gets stronger the further you are from the equator, but, from what I have seen, even down to the edge of Antarctica drain water sort of does whatever on the way out of the sink. I could get it to spin either way, much the same.

One thing that does look totally differant in the southern hemisphere though is the moon. It looks... I dunno, completely different.
And the light is differant down there too. You get this amazing twilight. Its nice when you are sleeping out in it.
Old 09-07-06, 02:17 PM   #525
lynw

Quote:
Where Ive lived have obviously all had drains/baths/basins/loos which conform to the effect of that hemisphere.

Unfair - I want a special one now that doesnt conform :P

PhillipMac I know what you mean. I put it down to the fact youre looking at it from a different perspective ie the same reason the constellations like Orion are "upside down".
Old 09-07-06, 11:17 PM   #526
philipMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynw
PhillipMac I know what you mean. I put it down to the fact youre looking at it from a different perspective ie the same reason the constellations like Orion are "upside down".
Yeah. It is upside down... I suppose realistically that's all it can be, but, somehow it looks even more than that. It is actually a bit disturbing looking up at the sky, and seeing no stars you know, and even the moon doesnt look like the moon you have been looking at for the past 20 odd years.

Also, did you ever see sometimes before the sun rises out there, these enormously long sort of concentric, or just single rings? They seemed to me to be very very high in the atmosphere. I would never see the whole hoop, just a part of one or more rings that appeared to be flat in the sky. I would see them usually when I was deep in the Andes, and it was very dark, and still.

No one seemed to have a clue what they are. I have never seen anything about them since.
Old 11-07-06, 12:42 PM   #527
therealvw

From my time in N.Z. it did look to go the opposite way down the plug hole.

I wonder if it will change when the earths magnetic poles change?
Old 11-07-06, 01:54 PM   #528
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealvw

Nope. The coriolis effect is caused by the earth spinning
Old 11-07-06, 01:58 PM   #529
keithd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin_Squirrel
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealvw

Nope. The coriolis effect is caused by the earth spinning
the earth spins?

that expalins my constant giddy feeling....
Old 12-07-06, 09:51 AM   #530
therealvw

HEHE, ahh. nice one Keithd. Thought it was the mascoline that you are prescribed!?

BUT did anyone else know that the earths magnetic poles are or will be changing. SO north becomes south, south becomse north....

Wonder if that will mean a shift in stuck up southerners, and dopey northerners?