SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-07-06, 10:23 PM   #1
Shinsei Jutsu

Default need help and comments

Long story, I'll try and keep this short.

Got my bike 2 months ago, and was told it was in great condition not crashed, and I believed the dealer. It was on about 9500 miles. It's now on 12500 so I had it serviced today. (I'm not going to name any company names here btw)
When I got there I gave them the service record book thing and we noticed that there was no registration date and that the suzuki sticker had the bike as being black. Thought this was strange so asked them to get this checked out.
When I got back to pick up my bike I was in for a small shock. Yes the bike was originally black. Doesn't sound good to me. The person that did the service said that there were a few things wrong. From minor things like the front indicators being upside down, to the wrong bolts being used on all the fairing, those black popper things missing, left pillion foot peg being slightly ground down, undertray slightly damaged, paint coming off the rear (above the rear light) and it being black underneath, the rear (don't know if this is just the undertray or the subframe) being slightly off center, slight damage to the top of the forks, and scratches to the frame under the fairing.
All these things are quite minor, but they had to adjust plenty of other things. Balance injectors, adjust throttle position sensor, and clutch adjustment at both ends.
The servicer said that the bike might have been in the condition of a cat c or d write off.
Now the bike has been hpi checked, but this is only if the bike was done on insurance ater damage isn't it? So won't show everything.

I have rung the original dealer and he has claimed innocence, but has said he will try his best to satisfy me. He has no bikes I would want instead, so where do I stand?

Could I get all my money back from them? how far can I go? Should I just let it lie?

Sorry it's so long but I'm not overly sure what to do.

Thanks for reading.
Shin
Old 05-07-06, 12:08 AM   #2
Gnan

tough one, the sale of goods act says you have reasonable time to make claim against the dealer, but i'm sure the responsibility must lie with the dealer to make sure the bike is all ok.. i would try asking for your money back and then the Citizens Advice Bureau if nothing comes of it.. but you may have to fight it through a solicitor which may be costly..

you could try HPI, if it has been written off and did not show on the report you should be entitled to claim off them, but as usual check the terms and conditions

the problem you may have is proving all these defects were there when you bought it
Old 05-07-06, 06:21 AM   #3
Shinsei Jutsu

the bike has been hpi'd and has come up fine, but if the person before raced it, or only had tpf&t insurance and crashed it themselves then nothing would be claimed on insurance and wouldn't show on an hpi.

Thankfully all records show that the bike was blue when I got it, and it was originally black. I think that's a big enough start to being mis-sold the bike.

thanks
Old 05-07-06, 06:28 AM   #4
Lissa
Just Ballast
Mega Poster

It might NOT be anything sinister.

Our new bike was originally yellow and is now blue. Our old bike was originally blue and is now yellow. Not because of crashing or drops, just because we wanted to keep all our blue paintwork and trick bits so just swapped everything over.

It could just be that the previous owner didn't like the black, or did a similar thing to us. That would be fairly unusual though, I admit.

I'd Rather Have Two Big Bangs Than Four Little Strokes
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-06, 06:29 AM   #5
K

My first question would be, "Are you happy with the bike?"

Mis-selling aside, do you actually like the bike you have been riding for the last 3k miles. Would you actually want another bike?

If you are happy with it - then I'd angle for compensation equal to the difference in the price you paid when compared with the price you would have paid if sold it as a Cat C or D bike.

Though how exactly you go about this I have little clue I'm afraid - my first step would be to write down a timeline of the history of the bike that you have evidence for. Then call Citizen's Advice.