SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-10-18, 08:05 PM   #41
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Default Re: Topyokes conversion

Photos of throttle cable length and front brake hoses.
Throttle cables are the +60mm Venhill ones. Brake hoses were supplied as part of the kit from Topyokes. Both fit fine with both the low and ultra-low Renthal bars. They could probably afford to be a cm or two shorter with the ultra-low bars. No shorter for the low though. Likewise standard switchgear / ignition rerouted and removed from the retaining bracket under the tank was just long enough with the low bars and fine with the ultra-low. Clutch cable is the 2005 Bandit 650 one as suggested by Bibio and all fits perfectly with no tight spots or bends.

Last edited by Adam Ef; 16-10-18 at 10:05 PM.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-18, 08:24 PM   #42
Flybuster

Nice work. Does look the business mind. Was thinking about doing this on my curvy. I think I'd need to trim off some fairing being a curvy.
Flybuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-18, 08:50 PM   #43
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Also, throttle cables will be going behind the reservoir once I've stopped messing with throttle freeplay adjustments etc trying to sort out the jerky low revs and hard cutout / /engine braking issue. Trying the TPS adjustment tomorrow that Bibio suggested....
http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.p...osition+sensor
Old 16-10-18, 08:53 PM   #44
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybuster View Post
...I think I'd need to trim off some fairing being a curvy.

I think Maviczap said he opted for the Gilles Variobars instead of the Topyokes conversion so that he had the adjustability to not have the bars clash with the fairing on the curvy.
There was a Gilles kit available on eBay a few weeks back..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gilles-Va...rdt=true&rt=nc
Old 17-10-18, 07:57 AM   #45
maviczap
Mega Poster

Yep Gilles on my curvy
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-18, 10:45 AM   #46
Bibio
Mega Poster

if those are the correct sizes for the inner throttle cables from venhill then they are +90mm. longest original inner should be 770mm and your new ones from venhill are 860mm then thats +90mm. or i could be wrong...
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-18, 06:46 PM   #47
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
check your TPS setting. this removes a fair bit of "jerkyness". there are a few threads on here.

I tried this today. It was set at, or had drifted to 4500rpm!! Way out! Tricky getting it to stay at the setting you've set as doing the bolt up again seems to affect the setting as the adjustments needed are so tiny to change it. The extra pressure on the bolt seemed to be back it off slightly. By luck I managed to set it at about 1600rpm. Very short test ride and it felt smoother on the throttle but the engine felt lumpy. Much less able to pull in the low gears, almost like it was going to stall unless I shifted up quite quickly. Very different to normal where I can stay in 1st up to something like 40mph if needed (not that I do)!
So adjusted it again using the hit and miss, do up the bolt, see what it says, undo and redo until it's set around something I'm happy to try method, and eventually got it at about 2100rpm. Which is where I've left it for today. I'll test ride again tomorrow.

Edit :this is on a K8 so there's only the one bolt to undo.
Old 17-10-18, 06:49 PM   #48
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
if those are the correct sizes for the inner throttle cables from venhill then they are +90mm. longest original inner should be 770mm and your new ones from venhill are 860mm then thats +90mm. or i could be wrong...

My measurements aren't super precise and I was using a tape measure to go around the curves at the throttle fittings end, so I may have added a few mm. You're right though, they do seem to be longer than the 60mm they state. All fits perfectly though so happy either way.

Still waiting on a refund on the wrongly supplied cables from Matt. In fact, still waiting on even a hint of a reply to my three emails I've sent about it now.
Old 17-10-18, 09:29 PM   #49
Bibio
Mega Poster

good stuff.. i've noticed as the bike clocks up the miles the clutch basket seems to loosen up and the "chuddering" starts so you have to keep the revs higher at lower speeds, no way can i cruse at 30mph in 6th. mind you thats also a trait of a v twin.. BTW you dont need to have the bike running to do the TPS you just need to move the throttle or as i do it just off the mark moving, its a Throttle POSITION Sensor.

they dont go out often due to the auto idle but a TB balance might be in order. only trouble is you NEED the sds tool to do it. curvys on the other hand...
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-18, 09:43 PM   #50
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Would fitting the new throttle cables have had an effect on this and made it need the TPS adjustment more? I noticed it was always a bit grabby under 3k revs before but not as bad as after I did the conversion and had the new cables fitted. First ride out I nearly came off trying to leave a junction when the lights went green. The throttle was so on and off it nearly threw me off starting around a corner out of the junction. I wondered what was going on.