SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 31-08-05, 07:15 AM   #1
dclifford

Default brake light flickers when the front brake pulled in - K4

The brake light will not stay on when the lever is pulled in. It seems to flicker on and off once it passes the intial click sound of the switch turning on. I noticed if I wiggle the wires around at the level the light will stay on as normal. I cant't remove the wires from the switch to check the connection. Has anyone else noticed this.
Old 31-08-05, 07:39 AM   #2
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

It may be the connectors, and yes they be can be a bit difficult to remove, they don't feel very substantial and they're often quite tight, however the greatest likelyhood is dirty switch contacts.
The switch is held by a single screw, remove it, (even if you don't pull the connector off), and using some WD40 or similar, squirt into the gaps in the switch while clicking the button in and out.
Switch the ignition on and operate the button, the light should operate reliably, if not then the switch will likely require replacement.

When refitting the switch, smear a dab of grease onto the end of the operating pin, where it contacts the brake lever, it's surprising how much the little plastic pin can wear the metal of the lever.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-05, 09:07 AM   #3
dclifford

That is exactly what I was thinking. I just didnt know what I could squirt in. I tried to remove the connectors, but they felt as if they would break rather than come free.
Does WD40 fix everything?
Old 31-08-05, 04:17 PM   #4
embee
Mega Poster

I recently had exactly the same problem as you describe, and yes it was definitely dirty contacts.

I actually dismantled the switch. Note that they are not intended to come apart, but will.

Take the switch off and look at the flat side. The 2 switch halves are held together with 3 pegs which go through holes and the ends are melted over (they are recessed in slightly). These can be prised apart and the melted bit pops off or just pulls through the hole. There are 2 one side and one on the other side, do the one on its own first, you can then do the others in turn.

The switch contacts can then be lifted out, cleaned, and refitted. I found the 2 halves then just popped back together, not needing any further fixing since the screw prevents it coming apart.

........or you can fill it full of WD40 and hope

........or you can buy a new switch.

Someone who knows a bit about electrickery type things suggested it was probably contamination from a cleaner or polish spray etc that caused the contacts to get "dirty".
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-05, 04:50 PM   #5
dclifford

I will give that a go.
Thanks
Old 04-09-05, 07:09 PM   #6
dclifford

I opened up the switch. Good detail embee. No obvious problems found.
I took off the connector that connects the wires to the switch. I gave the connectors a slight brush of sand paper. All back together now and working fine.
Old 04-09-05, 07:36 PM   #7
embee
Mega Poster

good job done.

...at least if you have it happen again you'll know where to attack! :P
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-05, 08:40 PM   #8
Cloggsy

Its a K4... Get it back to the dealers & let them sort it out
Old 05-09-05, 09:52 AM   #9
dclifford

Do people really go back to the dealer with things like that. I think it would be a waste of time to go to the dealer. Most of a day wasted when all it took was to clean a couple of contacts.
Old 05-09-05, 10:39 AM   #10
21QUEST
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclifford
Do people really go back to the dealer with things like that. I think it would be a waste of time to go to the dealer. Most of a day wasted when all it took was to clean a couple of contacts.
Unfortunately that's the world we live in now. You have got 'rights' you know .

Cheers
Ben
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote