SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-08-06, 02:34 PM   #1
Dougweb

Default 2500 miles in 9 days!! SV tour tastic

Hey Folks

Just returned from whitby-oban-outer hebridies-NW tip of Scotland-Lake district- Snowdonia and back to Whitby tour. Road above skye melted my rear Conti's to the very edge...teehee

North of Skye loads of visibilty, no walls etc, no traffic, and safe run off means very safe fast fun...If you havn't been go....Now!!

SV behaved very well apart from shaking a footpeg and my race can loose. Loaded to gunnels with tent and luggage did'nt seem to bother it too much but could have done with a fairing....i got a bit wet...and lost my pannier covers on a 115mph blast over a Hebridian causeway...opps!

So anyway i'm not just telling you guys all this to make me sound like a seasoned round the worlder, it was my first big bike tour!!, but just to say I never realised how much fun solo touring away from the known local 'good' roads can be. Knowing when you wake up in the morning you have another day of new fresh views and amazing roads ahead of you certainly beats the alarm clock and commute to work.

So where should I go next...any ideas??

Any of you peeps been to Ireland and the continant?

Oh and where can I get a gel seat?

p.s. also solo touring means you talk to loads of great nutters. Met a mad German bloke who turned his wife gay!! A group of Royal Enfield Riders with trailers attached to their machines!! and found my ideal shop. A petrol Station and fish and chip shop combined..hhmmmm....battered fuel!
Old 21-08-06, 02:42 PM   #2
Viney
Mega Poster

Default Re: 2500 miles in 9 days!! SV tour tastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougweb
Hey Folks

Just returned from whitby-oban-outer hebridies-NW tip of Scotland-Lake district- Snowdonia and back to Whitby tour. Road above skye melted my rear Conti's to the very edge...teehee

North of Skye loads of visibilty, no walls etc, no traffic, and safe run off means very safe fast fun...If you havn't been go....Now!!

SV behaved very well apart from shaking a footpeg and my race can loose. Loaded to gunnels with tent and luggage did'nt seem to bother it too much but could have done with a fairing....i got a bit wet...and lost my pannier covers on a 115mph blast over a Hebridian causeway...opps!

So anyway i'm not just telling you guys all this to make me sound like a seasoned round the worlder, it was my first big bike tour!!, but just to say I never realised how much fun solo touring away from the known local 'good' roads can be. Knowing when you wake up in the morning you have another day of new fresh views and amazing roads ahead of you certainly beats the alarm clock and commute to work.

So where should I go next...any ideas??

Any of you peeps been to Ireland and the continant?

Oh and where can I get a gel seat?

p.s. also solo touring means you talk to loads of great nutters. Met a mad German bloke who turned his wife gay!! A group of Royal Enfield Riders with trailers attached to their machines!! and found my ideal shop. A petrol Station and fish and chip shop combined..hhmmmm....battered fuel!
Nice one.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-06, 03:08 PM   #3
Skip
Mega Poster

Sounds like a great trip - solo too blimey!
Old 21-08-06, 03:27 PM   #4
Ceri JC

Congratulations on the tour, sounds like a lot of fun. Don't worry about the pannier covers; happens to the best of us. I just nick-wax mine a lot and put the stuff that dryness matters least for in them, inside a rucsac liner bag. More waterproof than just using covers too!On the subject of gel seats, has anyone got any recommendations on a gel seat that meets these requirements;

Single seat (IE- not one of those "stepped" Corbin ones); main reason being, I don't take a pillion on long journeys and I like to be able to retain my underseat storage without having to keep removing the front seat attachments every time I want access to it.

Doesn't look horrific. I know it's primarily functional, but I'd ideally want something that looks black/as close to the stock seat as possible.

Doesn't absorb water like a sponge; I've read about people fitting a touring seat only to later junk it because it takes days to dry after getting stuck in a downpour.

The reason I want one is I've been finding that my HG Cruise suit (whilst in many respects very good) is a bit lacking in the bum padding, compared to my old Joe Rocket trousers. Also, as I'm now using the bike for work, it means I'm doing more long trips: I'm finally sympathising with all those people who I thought were just being overly fussy with regard to comfort.
Old 21-08-06, 04:17 PM   #5
Tim in Belgium

Good going, glad you had a fun time.

As for next time, the Alps, or Spain and then on to Moroco?
Old 23-08-06, 09:22 AM   #6
Dougweb

Like the sound of the Alps. Nice to know that it's not just me that gets a numb bum.. Thanks for the Advice.
Old 23-08-06, 10:31 AM   #7
Tim in Belgium

Off on Sunday Monday for 5-6 days in the Alps if anyone fancies it...

Planning to take in the Stelvbio pass, possibly visit Monaco, but the route is still a bit up in the air, I'll see where the wind (or should that be road?) takes me.
Old 23-08-06, 10:23 PM   #8
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Gotta go to the Alps. Take the scenic route down there on the N-roads (granted a bit tough if you only got a week). Best trip ever, on my VFR750F solo to the Alps with my mates taking my boat and paddling gear....

I fancy the Pyranees now the missus is getting the bug too. Probably need something a bit bigger for that though.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote