SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-09-06, 06:25 PM   #1
hovis

Default charging battery

is there some type of battery gauge you can fit to make sure the battery is always charging? i think i read this some where?

whats the differace between a optimeter and a battery charger?(this is not a joke)
Old 23-09-06, 06:30 PM   #2
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

You want an optimiser or an optimate. Either or, both plug into your battery and also the mains. What they do is analyse your battery and keep it charged up.

A normal battery charger just charges your battery up once its gone flat. Where as an optimate should prevent your battery from every going flat.

Optimate seems to be prefered over the optimiser. I think they are about £30 ish... really useful if you leave your bike stood for long periods of time, especially if it has an alarm on it.

HTH

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-06, 06:41 PM   #3
jambo
Mega Poster

Neither of the above will give you anything more than a "charging" "fully charged" "dead" type LED indicator, but as Fizz says both are good if the bike will be parked up for weeks at a time. As long as you're doing decent trips and using the bike daily the bike should be keeping the battery topped up. I'm not sure I know of a system that you can fit to show you how full the battery is at any given point.
Old 23-09-06, 09:40 PM   #4
embee
Mega Poster

Default Re: charging battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovi5
is there some type of battery gauge you can fit to make sure the battery is always charging? i think i read this some where?
Simplest thing is a voltmeter across the battery. You can get all sorts of versions from the aftermarket/go-faster suppliers. While not strictly infallible, if it's showing around 14Volts under normal riding then the battery should be charging OK.
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-06, 02:30 PM   #5
Blue_SV650S

Default Re: charging battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovi5

whats the differace between a optimeter and a battery charger?(this is not a joke)

An optimate/optimiser (call these intelligent chargers if you will) as fiz said will charge the battery and then 'maintain' it at full charge if left connected to battery and mains. Therefore you can plug an optimate in and just leave it on 24/7 and the battery will never overcharge and will always be ready to use.

Your standard ‘dumb’ charger will just provide a charge, it has no idea how charged the battery is and will keep charging it. Leave a standard charger on 24/7 and eventually something will go pop!!! Standard chargers are fine, but you do have to make sure the battery is only charged for an appropriate time!

I’d recommend an intelligent charger, much less hassle … they aren’t THAT expensive and will last your biking carrear!!
Old 24-09-06, 02:55 PM   #6
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

No point in buying a charger if you continue to buy three batteries a week though.
Seriously,an optimate is well worth it.A battery kept in top condition will last five years or more,and that easily pays for the charger,and saves all sorts of hassle.
Old 24-09-06, 02:59 PM   #7
hovis

[quote="Biker Biggles"]No point in buying a charger if you continue to buy three batteries a week though.