SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 22-04-08, 12:54 AM   #1
Berlin

Default £81.73 to fill up the family car!

Now that's taking the P***. Its only a 406!

Quite happily I did manage to get 710 miles out of the tankful though!

Unfortunately, we also have a 4 litre jeep!

C
Old 22-04-08, 07:18 AM   #2
G
Mega Poster

Default Re: £81.73 to fill up the family car!

7 series BMW (Not Mine) £115 to fill up......and that was not from completely empty
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-08, 07:38 AM   #3
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

I'm getting about 300 miles out of 45 quid from my Golf.

Scoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-08, 07:53 AM   #4
Camel

Happy days for me - my old Mondeo (N reg) Estate 1.8td got 510 miles out of the last tank full - that was 100 miles of A1, the rest was driving round town. But it cost £60 to fill it up.

The wifes 1.6 petrol Picasso needs £40 when it has covered 300 miles, pretty much all of that is local (it does get alot better on a run).

I keep thinking that my old heap of crap gets good mpg, and that the Picasso is poor. But looking at the figues, if we put £60 in the Picasso, then that would get 450 miles, which is close to the deisel.

So, is the Picasso good, or the Mondeo poor - or both average??!!

On a side note, I took the Mondeo for MOT on SAT - it flew through, but the test was £40. Then had to go and fill up both cars. £140 spent before lunchtime on a Saturday, weekend before payday.

Not good
Old 22-04-08, 07:53 AM   #5
gettin2dizzy

£60 diesel = 500 miles in my focus. I'd hate to run a petrol car!
Old 22-04-08, 08:20 AM   #6
G
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettin2dizzy View Post
I'd hate to run a petrol car!

Its a missconception that diesel is more economical than pertrol there really is nothing in it nowday.

My girlfriends new mini doesnt get below 52mpg generally and that commuting sat in traffic.

My car is petrol and can get 57mpg up and down the motorway without really trying.

At a 10p difference per litre generaly if you do your sums, there is next to no benefit to having a diesel, in some cases you will be worse off.

To put it into perspective it cost me £49.20 to fill my tank yesterday which was 46.02 litres into a 55litre tank, it was not empty and I had done 478m to that particular tank......averaging 46.6mpg, that particular tank was just commuting to work this week not motorway miles at 55+mpg...it can be improved by miles and 550_ miles to the tank is easily achievable which kind of ****es on diesels fire lol
Old 22-04-08, 08:23 AM   #7
gettin2dizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by graemepaterson View Post
Its a missconception that diesel is more economical than pertrol there really is nothing in it nowday.

My girlfriends new mini doesnt get below 52mpg generally and that commuting sat in traffic.

My car is petrol and can get 57mpg up and down the motorway without really trying.

At a 10p difference per litre generaly if you do your sums, there is next to no benefit to having a diesel, in some cases you will be worse off.

To put it into perspective it cost me £49.20 to fill my tank yesterday which was 46.02 litres into a 55litre tank, it was not empty and I had done 478m to that particular tank......averaging 46.6mpg, that particular tank was just commuting to work this week not motorway miles at 55+mpg...it can be improved by miles and 550_ miles to the tank is easily achievable which kind of ****es on diesels fire lol
I see your point yeah, especially annoying as diesel is cheaper than petrol on the continent. But 56mpg?! A prius can't even get that! where do you get that from, and what in?!
Old 22-04-08, 08:27 AM   #8
Luckypants
Mega Poster

cost me £60 quid to fill my car and I got 350 miles for that (mainly country roads). Seriously thinking of chopping in my diesel for petrol because of the difference in fuel prices. Saw diesel at 125p a litre at the weekend!!! Luckily was on the bike.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-08, 08:28 AM   #9
Camel

Quote:
£60 diesel = 500 miles in my focus. I'd hate to run a petrol car!
But is that really that good though? Looking at my figures above, and then taking into account that deisel is more expensive, and deisel cars cost more, maybe an econonical petrol is the way forward?

EDIT: Doh, that'll teach me to do work bewteen posts!
Old 22-04-08, 08:28 AM   #10
G
Mega Poster

Quote:
I see your point yeah, especially annoying as diesel is cheaper than petrol on the continent. But 56mpg?! A prius can't even get that! where do you get that from, and what in?!
Its a new shape 1.4 clio rated to 52mpg by renault, drive it well and you can get much more.....The prius is an outdated piece of crap and never was economical.....My old 1.9Dci Laguna used to get as better mpg than the prius.......Hell the audi A2 1.4TDCI can get a proven 76+ mpg