SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 13-08-09, 07:44 AM   #1
speedplay

Default Hotel living

Ok, some of you guys know that I have been working away from home for a while now.
The last job was in Redditch and I was commuting that daily on the sv.
That is part of the reason I fell out with my bike.
I was using it daily and it became less of a toy and more of a form of transport/tool.
After Redditch finished I started a job in Birmingham and decided that I wasnt going to commute daily.
I looked into fuel and running costs on the car (freelander) against staying in a hotel.
I never even considered using the daytona as a daily commuter as I like it too much to do that to it.
I've got a 3 star hotel 15 minutes from where I'm working and as I booked for 7 weeks, got a very good deal.

The ball ache is that I'm away from the lovely Mrs Speedplay (and the lovlier daytona ) and I'm constantly living out of a suitcase BUT Im saving over £100 quid a week in fuel alone, my working day is 4 hours shorter and I get a full english breakfast everyday

Has anyone else had to do this as part of their working life and if so, what were the benefits/downsides for you?
Old 13-08-09, 07:49 AM   #2
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Default Re: Hotel living

Think Paul6th spends a lot of time in hotels etc. He lives oop norf but always seems to be daaan saaaff

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-09, 07:55 AM   #3
maviczap
Mega Poster

Yep, in my work I can spend up to 6 nights away from home, but I work week on/week off
Downside
1. Miss my kids
2. Hotel food, plus you can't just go to kitchen and open a cupboard to get what you want. Fed up with full English breakfasts.
3. Can't do hat I want to do like ride my bike other hobbies
4. Noisy hotels/neighbours

Upsides
1. Catch up on all the TV & Movies I don't have time to watch at home
2. Free food -company pays for mine

At least with working week on week off I get to see my kids more than I did on my previous contract, whichmeant I could spend up to 4 nights aay each week. And when I'm off the phone doesn't ringto call me into work like it used to
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-09, 08:01 AM   #4
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

You'll be wanting to commute after the first week.

Ah I hate hotels. Mainly because on tour if the Tour Manager is a complete scrooge you get put in some right dives!!! But then sometimes you get put up in nice hotels but they are still rubbish rooms. Saying that I have stayed in some proper nice ones but a hotel room is a bed, shower and TV it just depends if the bed is comfy, the shower is clean and if the TV is a 13" CRT or 40" Plasma.

The best value hotel I stayed in was a chain called The Village hotels. They were £80 a night for 2 people, free internet, breakfast, evening meal up to the value of £18pp!!! and access to the gym and spa facilities.
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.

Last edited by Mr Speirs; 13-08-09 at 08:06 AM.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-09, 08:04 AM   #5
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

Actually just a thought. What about buying a commuter bike instead of shelling out all that cash on hotels? That'll give you a daily hack, cheaper fuel bills, daytona won't get wrecked, you can stay at home with the Mrs.

Then when you go away next time you can do that again.
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-09, 08:11 AM   #6
speedplay

Ive been on this one for the last 4 weeks already and the time is flying by.
I chose the hotel myself and its classed as a business expense so didnt mind paying a little extra as its "home" while I'm away.
I did think about getting a commuter but its the travel that was making me so tired last time.
The extra 4 hours to my day was a nightmare specially when I was finishing at 8 or 9pm
Old 13-08-09, 08:16 AM   #7
timwilky
Mega Poster

Yes, lived in many a hotel and a few brothels whilst working. Worst was a brothel in Shajiao china whilst waiting for our accommodation to be built. I was working on this project. Only hot water at weekends, and phone calls every 10 minutes did I want a girl. and the factory start bell outside my bedroom window that went off at 4:30 every morning.

Best aspect of that hotel was the internal walls were built across the windows, with a 4" gap between the end of the wall and the window. so you could put you arm into next door, hear everything and the rats and roaches had a free run from one end of the building to the other through every room

Working in France for 2 days a week for 3 years meant the hotel I used got to know my little ways. Tea in the morning that tasted of tea and not gnat pee. But I do hate it when some hotels put you over their night club etc. you want me back, ensure I can get a good nights sleep

Last edited by timwilky; 13-08-09 at 08:17 AM.
timwilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-09, 08:35 AM   #8
Daimo

I'd like to do it for a short time. I go away every so often only for a night for work and don't mind it. Little bit of time to myself.

Went to Dubai, had a 5 star suite, which was nice. That was for 9 days, but then im the kinda person who's happy to just walk around, I don't mind eating by myself etc...
Old 13-08-09, 08:36 AM   #9
-Ralph-

You'll get fat. Full breakfast every morning, restaurant meal every evening, and beer every night.

Oh and you'll spend all Sunday afternoon ironing your clothes and putting them straight back in your suitcase ready for the next week.

Buy some supplies - coke, water, biscuits, etc, nothing but tea and coffee in your room, you'll miss having your kitchen to hand as you do at home.

Sitting on a bed to watch the telly is f'ing uncomfortable, if you can find a room with mini living room (ie: chair or sofa, coffee table, decent size telly, etc) then try to get the staff to give you that room every week. Also buy a TV guide.

Eating at a table for one is horrible, in a busy restaurant is horrible.

Make sue you have a good mobile phone package with plenty of free calls.

The novelty will wear off soon enough!

Last edited by -Ralph-; 13-08-09 at 08:46 AM.
Old 13-08-09, 08:41 AM   #10
timwilky
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post

Eating at a table for one is horrible in a busy restaurant is horrible.
That is the worse, billy no mate going into a restaurant, table for one. shoved in the corner. Hated it.