SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 11-12-12, 10:43 AM   #11
Fallout
Mega Poster

Default Re: Little visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
You know sometimes when you say something which gives others a little insight into your mind....
I'd never heard it before. Just googled it and found out it was Scotish slang. I'll take it upon myself to use it down here and get it ingrained in southern culture.
Fallout Breakbeat (My Music)
Fallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-12, 10:58 AM   #12
Ceri JC

I went away on the bike for one weekend to find one of these in my garage. There is no way I missed it on the way out. It was amazing how big the wasp made it in at most 48hrs. Doused it with brake cleaner then when the wasp came out used WD40 to knock it out of the air and stamp on it. It took ages to WD40 it enough that it went down, it was like some sort of end of game boss. Once the wasp was gone, I knocked the nest down with a broom and kicked it outside into the garden. I felt a bit guilty when torching it on the BBQ, in case there were baby wasps in it.
Old 11-12-12, 12:02 PM   #13
Amadeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post
I went away on the bike for one weekend to find one of these in my garage. There is no way I missed it on the way out. It was amazing how big the wasp made it in at most 48hrs. Doused it with brake cleaner then when the wasp came out used WD40 to knock it out of the air and stamp on it. It took ages to WD40 it enough that it went down, it was like some sort of end of game boss. Once the wasp was gone, I knocked the nest down with a broom and kicked it outside into the garden. I felt a bit guilty when torching it on the BBQ, in case there were baby wasps in it.
That seems an extreme reaction! Do you have a phobia, an allergy or just don't like them and didn't want to have their nest there any more?
I can see the beauty in such things but I do accept that I'm probably unusual in that respect.
Old 11-12-12, 12:09 PM   #14
craig dow

hi no new wasps will ever move into it , they always stay with there own queen wasp , the ones that you see out and about are the workers , they get stuff to make byke bigger and wee insects for the grubs in the byke , which will become workers for that year , at the end of the season , one of them will become the queen and she will hibernate , pregnant , and the all the other wasps will die , and at the start of new year , about may she will come out and make a new byke , the size of a golf ball , and lay her eggs in the wee cells , they then will be the stat of her workers for that year , and away it goes again , if you find one in your loft shead , if you use fkly spray inside the wee hole they will just fall out dead , and saves you a fortune calling someone like me out to do it for you , but any bigger than a football , do not try this as there could be 2000+ wasps in there , i do about 4-500 wasp bykes a season , there you go now , some useless info
Old 11-12-12, 12:11 PM   #15
maviczap
Mega Poster

If you find one the size of this one I found in my sisters house, you'd develop a phobia very quickly!

I'm not overly scared of wasps, but when there's whole town of them I get the heebie jeebies

maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-12, 12:16 PM   #16
Amadeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
If you find one the size of this one I found in my sisters house, you'd develop a phobia very quickly!

I'm not overly scared of wasps, but when there's whole town of them I get the heebie jeebies
That's fair enough, no criticism intended.

I saw something recently on tv where there was a swam of bees on a tree branch and because there was no queen there (I think, tho I don't know why they'd form a swarm with no queen), they were totally calm. The guy just put his hands into the swarm and they were quite happy - he didn't get stung at all. I'd like to give that a go.
Old 11-12-12, 01:12 PM   #17
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

I find wasps to be fascinating, but then I tend to like the least lovable creatures on the planet. Having as I do a love of tarantulas, I read up on them and came across this little beauty, The Hawk Wasp.

The biggest wasp discovered so far and able to take out a tarantula.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-12, 01:18 PM   #18
Fallout
Mega Poster

I hope that fella is dead! That stinger looks big enough to give someone a very bad day.
Fallout Breakbeat (My Music)
Fallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-12, 01:39 PM   #19
Joe Marcon

Ef that! I heard they found a new wasp in india or somewhere . It was a massive very strong wasp!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-12-12, 02:29 PM   #20
STRAMASHER
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig dow View Post
there you go now , some useless info
Nah mate not at all. Amazing.

I always get told "They'll come back,THEY'LL COME BACK!"

Had a few at my place. Cellar, eaves and a wee cone type one in the bathroom (never finished for whatever reason, maybe us back from hols)
STRAMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote