SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-07-07, 06:33 PM   #1
ak_uk

Unhappy Advice needed after coming off

Comrades

Just come off my scoot but have managed to get home with a bashed arm. Do I need to go to A&E or will my own pictures of my injuries be sufficient evidence in case of a claim?

I was filtering slowly past some traffic (in lane) and an Impreza decides to make a break for a right turn - without indicating, which he admitted. I saw him do it but just couldn't stop what with the rain and possibly I think some diesel. I've had this happen to me in the dry but have managed to stop in time.

It was only a cheap Chinese scoot but I'm still gutted - at least it wasn't the SV. If I had been wearing my gear it would have got wrecked but my arm probably would be fine! Can't believe how my clothes have been shredded.

Ouch!
Old 02-07-07, 06:50 PM   #2
andyaikido

Default Re: Advice needed after coming off

It would be a very good idea to get something recorded. If you don't think you are injured I would at least see your GP. Take pics of absolutely everything including you own injuries as they heal. Record all your costs too, even stuff like lifts off mates/family.

I can recomend White Dalton for fighting your case.
Old 02-07-07, 07:05 PM   #3
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Go to A & E and get checked out if you are worried.

Sort yourself out properly first and then worry about the injury claim later IMHO.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-07, 08:11 PM   #4
skint

You should get checked out anyway irrespective of any claims. If you make a claim the other party's legal team with demand professional evidence i.e. hospital records or the like. No, I doubt very much whether your own photo's would be accepted. To be honest I would want independent evidence.

But as Fizz say's get checked for your own sake first...
Old 02-07-07, 08:42 PM   #5
kamakazy

Despite any photos, were there any witnesses? he may have said to you he didn't indicate, but things can be very different when claims begin. Oh yeh! was he insured? I was hit from behind in my car just over 3 years ago, got details at the scene, but found out later he wasn't insured. Did manage compo eventually through MIB (no not men in black) but the Motorists Investigative Bureau. Goodluck hope it all goes well.
Old 02-07-07, 09:13 PM   #6
ASM-Forever

Fizz and Triumphumphumph(etc) are right get yourself checked out to make sure there is no injury you have missed, thats far more important than a claim.

From your desciption its hard to be sure, but if you were filtering....does that not count as overtaking and thus 50/50 liability(correct me if i am wrong). As others have said, i hope you have witnesses as i am sure he will say he indicated/checked his mirrors and you "shot out of nowhere".

As an aside even on a scoot its still better to wear protective gear.....noone to blame but yourself in that respect.
Old 02-07-07, 10:35 PM   #7
ak_uk

Thanks for the advice and asides . Think I'll get checked out tomorrow as more stuff is hurting!

Unfortunately, I was a bit focussed on the damage to pride, man and machine so no witnesses or accurate details, just an exchange of phone numbers - useless I know but the guy offered to get me a taxi home so fingers crossed he doesn't switch on me...
Old 03-07-07, 11:18 AM   #8
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamakazy View Post
Despite any photos, were there any witnesses? he may have said to you he didn't indicate, but things can be very different when claims begin.
Yep. Or did any witnesses hear him admit he didn't indicate? I've had someone admit something (although downplayed it) at the scene of the accident, but out of earshot of witnesses then claim they didn't say it when it comes down to claims.
Old 03-07-07, 03:13 PM   #9
neilfab

There is a good article in this months BIKE mag ref filtering.

It highlights certain court cases that have set landmarks. Your brief needs to quote Davis v Shrogin not the usual Powell v Moody or Leeson v Bevis.