SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-11-06, 08:34 PM   #1
lucky strike

Default Urgent advice needed with speedo on a Faired Curvy.........

Evening guys and gals, just a quick question before I buy a datatool gear indicator from someone. Have conducted a search on the forums but to no avail........

I have a 2001 faired curvy (sv650sy to be precise). Am I correct in thinking that I need to purchase the 'cable speedo version' with the datatool digi gear indicator unit? ie not just the standard one on its own? As I thought only the pointys with their digital speed units implied that they have digital/electronic tacho systems?

Also, how hard is it to fit one of these things? I have a datatool system 3 alarm fitted currently on the bike, i'm assuming that this will in no way interfere with the gear indicator at all will it? Has anyone had ANY issues with regards to fitting at all?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated and have a good weekend!
Old 11-11-06, 08:38 PM   #2
northwind
Mega Poster

Teh curvy doesn't have a cable speedo... It's got a magnetic rotor-type pickup and electronic speedo.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-06, 08:39 PM   #3
mattSV
Mega Poster

Try this:-

random number generator
2013 - 2016 Triumph Explorer 1200
2016 - Ducati Multistrada DVT S
mattSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-06, 08:48 PM   #4
lucky strike

Thanks for the speedy replies guys, I assumed that the mechanical speed dial meant that it'd be a cable speedo version, Doh! Live and learn I suppose, so I'm right in thinking that any normal digital gear indicator would work in that case?
Matt, with regards to the link you posted, I had read that earlier during the search I carried out and the title got me thinking a bit, I'm having second thoughts as to getting one of these things now. I already know 95% of the time what gear i'm in, it was just for the gimmick/gadget side of things that I would have wanted one really, but I reckon there are probably more productive ways of spending 50-70 quid on improving the bike. Speaking of which, i'm off to learn all about bleedin' brakes for my braided lines that I acquired recently!
Old 11-11-06, 09:40 PM   #5
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Probably a wise move.I used to think I'd like a gear indicator too,but they cost a bit and I've managed all these years without one so I thought better of it.That sort of money buys a brand new set of fork springs and oil with some to spare,and if you shop around for used stuff,you could get the rear shock too.
Old 11-11-06, 09:44 PM   #6
northwind
Mega Poster

I liked the idea, mainly because it's a mod, and I'm an addict But then I got one, on the Veypor, and never used it once. Thought the same about a shoft light- although they're cooler than an indicator, I still shifted by "ear" not by the light.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-06, 11:15 PM   #7
21QUEST
Mega Poster

Every time I think about a gear indicator I ask myself "would I 100% trust the darn thing?"
The answer is always I reckon not making it a pointless mod for me.

Imagine going down two gears when you thought you were in fourth(cos indicator said so) but really in third . Atleast without one if in doubt you feather the clutch or just kick up up one.

By the way I've experience going down two when I thought I was in Fourth and we'll just say the out come was not very nice :Lil: .

Oh... II RC the data tool indicator did have a problem with the earlier ones due to electrical interference on the Curvy SUV. I think the did sort it out but don't quote me.

Cheers
Ben
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote