SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 31-03-11, 11:07 PM   #1
LVC

Default Curvy RED Project

Hey all,

New to here, been biking for some time now and finally come to terms with my 1985 XBR500 being abit long in the tooth and with a pending european trip it was time to get my SV.

I always liked SV's and planned to get one someday, I even convinced a couple of pals to get one at various points. One of whom still had his 06 pointy.

Anyway, collecting and mot'ing my SV on saturday will then give it a good clean an take some piccy's for here.

Cheers

Joe
Old 31-03-11, 11:21 PM   #2
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Default Re: Curvy RED Project

XBR500 was one of my favourite 80's bikes. Loved the clubby cafe racer look of them.

Welcome along Joe.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-11, 11:22 PM   #3
LVC

no worries might post some pics of tht once i get it sorted just gotta give it time i guess and take it easy with it, hence the SV
Old 03-04-11, 06:21 AM   #4
LVC

Ok guys went to look at the curvy, and low n behold it wouldn't start, long story short glazed plugs from short running on idle as it's been off the road for 18months. Also the plugs were less than finger tight but never mind.

She has been dropped and is registered CAT C but, collected it yesterday morning then a nice 40 mile ride across to Stratford to see Nigel at Pittbull Choppers, 24/7 MOT's at your convenience.

Any way it past with only one advisory on a misty fork stanchion seals probably got another 3000mls in it then need doing.

Gotta now decide whether i replace all the plastics n tank or run it naked with the bandit h/lamp n all that jazz.

Been offered a nice set of GSXR 750 upsiders with yokes free of charge so thts a maybe.

First thing tho is to strip it down a little and give it a bloody good going over, which leads me nicely onto my first question.

SV650s, is it an oil controlled cam chain tensioner, only reason i ask is that on idle there is an intermittent rattle which disappears as soon as the revs pickup i.e. increase of oil pressure. Obviously I am going to service the bike before it comes into use and therefore if it is the case it should clear up.

Joe

P.S. Pics to follow
Old 03-04-11, 06:46 AM   #5
daveyrach

I asked the same thing about my 1999 SVS when i first got it, apparently it is just a trait of the 'V' twin and they all seem to rattle, but mine does the same as yours disappears once the revs are above 4k.
Old 03-04-11, 07:22 AM   #6
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVC View Post
SV650s, is it an oil controlled cam chain tensioner, only reason i ask is that on idle there is an intermittent rattle which disappears as soon as the revs pickup i.e. increase of oil pressure.
No its a manual spring operated one, sounds like it needs that service quick.

Best upgrade to a later pointy CCT, K5 is one to go for I think
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-11, 08:20 AM   #7
daveyrach

Does the cam chain not auto adjust then, maybe if i adjust mine the rattle will go?
Old 03-04-11, 09:21 AM   #8
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyrach View Post
Does the cam chain not auto adjust then, maybe if i adjust mine the rattle will go?
No & yes
Old 03-04-11, 10:30 AM   #9
mikerj

The cam chain tensioners ARE automatic, it's just that the early ones seem to have occasional problems. There is a small bolt in the end of the tensioner, if you remove it you will see a slotted screw head - this allows you to release the pressure from the threaded adjusting mechanism by turning clockwise against a spring. Manually operating them a few times can help any sticking.
mikerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-11, 10:37 AM   #10
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerj View Post
The cam chain tensioners ARE automatic, it's just that the early ones seem to have occasional problems. There is a small bolt in the end of the tensioner, if you remove it you will see a slotted screw head - this allows you to release the pressure from the threaded adjusting mechanism by turning clockwise against a spring. Manually operating them a few times can help any sticking.
But they're not oil fed tensioners which was the original post. They are an item in the service schedule to do what you've described. So semi automatic might be a better description

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVC View Post
is it an oil controlled cam chain tensioner, only reason i ask is that on idle there is an intermittent rattle which disappears as soon as the revs pickup i.e. increase of oil pressure. P.S. Pics to follow
Mine don't rattle

Last edited by maviczap; 03-04-11 at 10:41 AM.