SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 10-03-07, 09:22 PM   #1
Ed

Default Amitriptyline

After trying non-drug treatments for years with limited success, my doc has finally accepted that it isn't improving and has prescribed me this for irritable bowel syndrome. Needn't describe the symptoms, only to say it's exceedingly painful and unpleasant.

Just wondering if anyone else takes this. PM me if you prefer.
Old 10-03-07, 10:00 PM   #2
wyrdness

Default Re: Amitriptyline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed View Post
After trying non-drug treatments for years with limited success, my doc has finally accepted that it isn't improving and has prescribed me this for irritable bowel syndrome. Needn't describe the symptoms, only to say it's exceedingly painful and unpleasant.

Just wondering if anyone else takes this. PM me if you prefer.
They seem to prescribe Amitriptyline for everything. I'm on it at the moment for a trapped nerve in my neck/shoulder. It acts as a muscle relaxant and my doctor said that it's good for nerve pain. It seems to be most commonly prescribed as an anti-depressant. It's also used to treat migraines.

It's a sedative, especially when taken in conjunction with alcohol. This really helped me to sleep when I was in too much pain to lie down. The down side is that it can be extremely difficult to wake up in the morning. I've been woken up by the alarm clock, got out of bed to switch it off, then crashed out on the bed again for another hour.

Don't ride your bike if it's making you feel drowsy.

Mrs Wyrdness had IBS a few years ago, just after we met. She was recommended by her boss to a company in Covent Garden who charged her a lot of money and put her on a severe exclusion diet. It did cure her IBS though she wouldn't now recommend it, as the diet was too severe and she lost a lot of weight - going down to a size 6 from a size 8.
Old 10-03-07, 10:37 PM   #3
Dan

freaky - I was prescribed Amitriptyline yesterday. Doc's prescribed it for the neuralgia I'm suffering as a result of repeated tension headaches.

I work for a GP Out of Hours provider and consulting with some of the clinicians yields the following:

Amitriptyline is a tricyclic antidepressant - and is apparently one of the top 20 most prescribed drugs in the country in it's 10mg form.

In low dose form (10mg blue tabs) it's often used as a nerve-firing suppressant, sleep aid, or muscle relaxant. It's safe in this form for reasonably long term usage (up to three months), without any risk of problems coming off the dosage.

It's also available in other doses, for example 25mg and 50mg tabs, which are often prescribed as antidepressants or as part of psychoactive mental-health problem treatments. In these dosages, more monitoring is required as there are often side effects when coming off the drug.

Anyway, it helps me sleep - but don't mix it with alcohol, and beware the effects - although I felt perfectly fine, I realise looking back that although I had a really nice ride today I was not at 100% capacity - not a mistake I'll be making again.

Last edited by Dan; 10-03-07 at 11:17 PM.
Old 11-03-07, 12:15 AM   #4
speedygirl

Hmmm - yes amitriptyline is prescribed for a number of symptoms in addition to under its main classification as a form of antidepressant. In low dose is can be used to relieve anxiety and aid sleeping. It's also commonly used for nerve related symptoms as discussed. Personally I've never come across it's use in irritable bowel syndrome, and as it doesn;t come without its side effects I would a) make sure there's nothing simpler you can try first and b) make sure appropriate investigations have been carried out to ensure that you do in fact have IBS and nothing else. When you say you've tried various non-drug treatments, have you tried more simple thing like Buscopan (hyoscine) or peppermint supplements? Buscopan's commonly prescribed for IBS - I have used it myself!
Old 12-03-07, 06:48 PM   #5
gettin2dizzy

90% of IBS can be cured by hypnotherapy. Phone up somewhere local, its worth a shot
Old 12-03-07, 09:34 PM   #6
Ed

TVM for the replies. You might have guessed that I'm not really sure about taking the stuff, he also gave me Spasmonal as well. Speedygirl - not heard of Buscopam, I've tried peppermint and (a) I don't like the taste and (b) it makes me feel sick so not good really. Hypnotherapy? - hmmm will think on that, might be worth a look
Old 12-03-07, 09:51 PM   #7
Dan

Quote:
TVM for the replies. You might have guessed that I'm not really sure about taking the stuff, he also gave me Spasmonal as well. Speedygirl - not heard of Buscopam, I've tried peppermint and (a) I don't like the taste and (b) it makes me feel sick so not good really. Hypnotherapy? - hmmm will think on that, might be worth a look
Ed,

I've been having the same feelings about the Amitriptyline - there's something about the word 'antidepressant' which kind of puts me off.

Depends on the dosage really how much effect it will have, but I'm told by a lot of the clinicians at work that it's perfectly safe.

If you have any questions Ed, pm me and i'll pass them on.
Old 12-03-07, 10:19 PM   #8
CoolGirl

Acupuncture is pretty good as well. And funnily enough, so is reflexology - it's very effective at stimulating the intestinal tract.

Anyway, I'd try a whole heap more alternative therapies before taking any heavy-duty drugs with the word 'trip' in them. Might take a few goes to find one that works best for you, but worth the effort.
Old 12-03-07, 11:08 PM   #9
gettin2dizzy

yeah, the hypnotherapy stops it for life, isn't very expensive (considering the success rate), and of course drug free! Being hypnotised is completely different to anything you see on tv. Your fully aware of what happens throughout the whole thing
http://www.pharosuk.co.uk/ibs.htm
Old 13-03-07, 03:50 AM   #10
speedygirl

Quote:
Ed - spasmonal similar to Buscopan, works by reducing bowel spasm (hence the name ) - however different people get on with different types, so give spasmonal a try, of no joy then ask for buscopan. Not a heavy drug with relatively few side effects if used sparingly. Def a try before amitriptyline. Don;t know a huge amount about hypnotherapy but it's brilliant for loads of stuff like giving up smoking, so may be worth a try!