SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

BSB & WSB Goto BSB Website
Goto WSB Website

Old 08-04-08, 12:43 PM   #1
BLACKFIRE

Default Im confused !!!

Can someone clear up a question for me ...
I was watching WSB over the weekend and they were on about the weight deficit Ducati may have imposed if they out perform all other bikes because of their engine size.
Now I know Bayliss is way ahead in the table on his Ducati but the commentators were saying that they were not going to impose the extra weight ???
Now Bayliss is 48 points ahead ... Does that not imply that Ducati have an unfair advantage ??? Please can some one clarify
Old 08-04-08, 12:49 PM   #2
rigor

Default Re: Im confused !!!

They are working on some sort of average system. So it's not just looking at Bayliss's results, but of the top Ducati's and comparing them to the IL4's.

2008 CHAMPIONSHIP
1 T. Bayliss 128 Ducati
2 F. Nieto 80 Suzuki
3 T. Corser 72 Yamaha
4 C. Checa 72 Honda
5 R. Xaus 68 Ducati

Last edited by rigor; 08-04-08 at 12:58 PM.
Old 08-04-08, 12:51 PM   #3
Sharka Zulu

Ducati need to learn how to play fair!!!!
Old 08-04-08, 02:30 PM   #4
sinbad

The system can't just look at Bayliss. It has to assume the riders are all equally talented and that the machinery is what makes the difference, so it must take averages and ignore exceptionally good/bad performances by individuals. Otherwise Bayliss would be penalised for riding well.
Old 08-04-08, 03:18 PM   #5
Sharka Zulu

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad View Post
The system can't just look at Bayliss. It has to assume the riders are all equally talented and that the machinery is what makes the difference, so it must take averages and ignore exceptionally good/bad performances by individuals. Otherwise Bayliss would be penalised for riding well.
That said, If Ducatis choice of engine configuration puts them at a disadvantage when using the same engine size as everyone else that's their problem.
Why should they be allowed to use a larger engine capacity which has clearly given them an unfair advantage over the last 15 or so years.

I bet Bayliss wouldnt be where he is if he was on a four cylinder 1000cc
Old 08-04-08, 03:34 PM   #6
sinbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharka Zulu View Post
That said, If Ducatis choice of engine configuration puts them at a disadvantage when using the same engine size as everyone else that's their problem.
Why should they be allowed to use a larger engine capacity which has clearly given them an unfair advantage over the last 15 or so years.

I bet Bayliss wouldnt be where he is if he was on a four cylinder 1000cc
Simply put, I agree with you on the engine thing. It's like diesel engines at Le Mans or in WTCC/BTCC. If something needs a leg up to become competitive, is it right to allow it? The only thing you can say, is that everyone knows the regulations before the season is anywhere near to starting and they build to the regulations. Yamaha could build a 1200 twin also if they wished, so in that respect it's fair.

How Bayliss would do I have no idea, and it's impossible to make that judgment. Max Biaggi and Ruben Xaus are also on competitive Ducatis, as is his team mate, and there are a lot of IL4s between Bayliss and the next Ducati in the standings. Take Bayliss away and the Ducati certainly doesn't leap out as the machine to be on (so far).
Old 08-04-08, 03:44 PM   #7
Dave The Rave

If Xaus did not bin it (and Max for that fact as well) than there would be a penatly. I wonder if they are going to have the podium for themselves for rest of the season too!

Talking about WSB I felt forry for that German guy when Checa took him out. IMO totally unfair as the Spanish idiot run in there too fast and binned it taking the Suzuki with him.
Old 11-04-08, 11:38 AM   #8
Alpinestarhero

The ducati;s going to 1200cc means they can conform to the same rules as the IL4's with regards to tuning and modifications over a standard machine. Lets not forget that the 1000cc fours have always been closer in relation to the road going counterparts; the 1000cc twins, with their more relaxed rules on tuning to ensure they where competitive, where much more removed from their road-going counterparts.

The 1200cc dukes now are much more closely related to the road 1098's (well, the 1098R's, at least!)
Old 11-04-08, 04:56 PM   #9
Dangerous Dave

It's Bayliss thats got the 48 point advantage, not Ducati!
Old 13-04-08, 02:10 PM   #10
ThEGr33k

Indeed. The IL4's still have the power advantage that is OBVIOUS on the streights. Its just not as obvious as it was with the 999.

The real issue is that Ducati make a track bike for the road (1098R) which is MUCH closer to a race bike than the IL4's so they have an advantage with frame and other components from the off. They should make it so that they have to sell more of a certain model. That will either make the R a lot cheaper OR make Ducati make the 1098(s) better.

Its clear that the power of the IL4 is better. look at any similar cpacity bike on the road (V2 vs IL4) and youll see the IL4 has lots more power, even now the 1098R is 10+BHP down on the road going IL4's.

Back when it was 750IL4's vs 1000V-twins the power outputs were higher on the 750's its just that the Twins had better drive out of the corners. So maybe the IL4's need to stop chasing the revs and the power and go for the corner escaping mid range punch the V-twins have?