SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

The Border Patrol Covering North Wales, Shropshire, Staffs, Merseyside and Cheshire for SV650.org members, past, present and future

Old 07-08-08, 08:17 PM   #1
Zombie Jesus

Default Petrol stations in north/mid Wales

What time are they usually open to the evenings? Reason I ask is that I'll be heading up to anglesey circuit from Cardiff next week thursday and want to avoid seeing numerous closed forecourts I did last sunday evening between newquay and lampeter.
Old 07-08-08, 10:53 PM   #2
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Default Re: Petrol stations in north/mid Wales

well that depends on your route to Anglesey don't it? There are plenty of late opening garages and I know of some 24-hour ones. Can you be more specific about your route and then locals can advise where is open late.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-08, 11:25 AM   #3
Zombie Jesus

Either the A487 from aberystwyth OR the A483 then the A5 from oswestry
Old 08-08-08, 11:56 AM   #4
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Ok in that case the Shell garage in Aberystwyth is 24 hour. Also there is a big Tesco in Porthmadog (A487) with the pay@pump facility.

A483 is less of a problem. There is the Esso where A483 joins A5 - open till 10 pm. There is a the big BP (was Texaco) garage in Chirk which is 24 hour. You can carry on from Chirk to Wrexham and there are several 24 hour garages. Easiest is the Shell garage at the A541 junction, then you can pick up A525 / A5104 to get back on the A5 at Corwen. On the A5 you have a problem, as there are no late night stations I can think of after Chirk until Betws-y-Coed. The Shell garage in b-y-C is 24 hour and is probably your last chance to get late night fuel, unless Baph knows somewhere around Caernarvon or Anglesey.

HTH

Oh and A483..........
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-08, 06:27 PM   #5
Zombie Jesus

thanks for the info
Old 03-09-08, 09:20 PM   #6
xXBADGERXx

Black Cat Shell garage is open 24 hours on the Black Cat roundabout in Llandudno Junction on the A55
Old 05-09-08, 07:07 AM   #7
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
On the A5 you have a problem, as there are no late night stations I can think of after Chirk until Betws-y-Coed. The Shell garage in b-y-C is 24 hour and is probably your last chance to get late night fuel, unless Baph knows somewhere around Caernarvon or Anglesey.
The man is right. Nothing from Chirk until BYC, which is 24hours.

From BYC heading up the A5, again, there's nothing until Bangor (and that would make more sense than Caernafon if you're heading up to Trac Mon).

At the top of the A5 you have the Llandegai services (mini roundabout just before A55 take a left then first right) or you have Tesco (on to the A55 heading towards Anglesey, IIRC it's the next junction). Both are 24hour, and Tesco is always cheaper than Llandegai.

After that, you could call off at the Shell at Menai Bridge, which again is 24hour, but that's a bit of a detour for you really. The track is tops 45mins from Tesco in Bangor.
Old 05-09-08, 11:03 AM   #8
slark01

Gotta love local knowledge.
A link to something I found while browsing
http://www.upmystreet.com/UK/findmyn.../in/wales.html

Last edited by slark01; 05-09-08 at 11:10 AM.