SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-05-06, 08:36 PM   #1
fraser01

Default My test ride of the new BMW F800S

I test rode the BMW F800S today, so here is my review;

Having arrived at the dealer I was given a warm welcome, offered a cuppa and made to feel at home, which was a pleasant surprise. I was then introduced to the bike, this particular model was red and reminded me in some respects like an SV650s, my eye was drawn to the impressive single sided swing arm and the belt drive. The F800 will not be to everyones taste, like the new CBF1000 I think it is an acquired taste that will draw certain individuals, I must say that I wasn't too keen on the looks of the S model but favoured its alternative..the ST, which had the higher screen and the longer fairing.
I found the seat relatively comfortable for the 40 minutes that I test rode the bike, and being 6' tall I found this to be just the right height, a lower seat was available if I had requested it. The riding position is described by BMW as sporty however this is not extreme and at no time did I feel the weight on my wrists, I would liken the position to a CBR600F, sat fairly upright but not stretched across the tank.

The bike still had low mileage and had to be kept below 6000RPM for the run in period, this was still sufficient though to get a good idea of its performance. The ride was sedate until about 4000RPM when the bike started to pull, even in the majority of gears, there was no jerkiness, just a smooth gradual take up of power that soon brought the bike up to the speed limits. The engine/gearbox was a little noisy and the tone of the exhaust seemed very dampened. The changing of gears was a smooth process, which un-eased me as I am used to a firm clunk from my Suzuki although the current gear was shown on the digital display (pretty neat idea). Handling seemed pretty good also, the bike happily fell into bends and corners with ease and the brakes were fit for purpose, re-assured by the (£500 extra) ABS. On the down side I felt that that there was no integration between rider and bike, it lacked feed back and once the needle got to about 4000RPM I couldn't help but notice vibrations through the pegs. The ride although pleasant was not exhilarating, sure it accelerated but I don't think its anything to write home about.

My verdict about the new BMW? well to be honest I was a little disappointed, when I went to the dealer I so wanted to fall in love with the bike, I liked the looks (of the ST) and it was an affordable BMW that appeared to be smack bang in the middle of the market that I was looking at. The bike is perfect for a new rider who is still a little unsure and wants something un-intimidating, something they can grow into.... more experienced riders may find the ride a little un-inspiring or indeed lacking.... but you will never know until you ride it.
Old 26-05-06, 09:51 PM   #2
Quiff Wichard
Mega Poster

a good read- interesting- thanks fraser
Old 27-05-06, 06:56 AM   #3
falc

Cool, nice write up Fraser, I saw all the magazines saying lots of good things about it but good to get a different opinion on it. Not that I would buy it but could be useful for others.
Old 27-05-06, 09:21 AM   #4
jonboy

That extra 2500 revs that you didn't play with (fancy a dealer not running it in) will make all the difference I reckon. Can't wait for the naked "R" version.

Old 27-05-06, 10:01 AM   #5
DanAbnormal

Great report. A friend of mine has one, she's a very short female but loves it to bits. Not my cuppa tea though.

Cheers,

Dan
Old 27-05-06, 10:19 AM   #6
Fizzy Fish

Couldn't agree more Fraser - I rode one the other day and its a capable bike but just lacked the rider involvement and feedback of the SV
Old 27-05-06, 10:22 AM   #7
Ceri JC

Good review Fraser. Did you get any sort of estimates on running costs (I know BMW have set prices for service jobs), tyre life etc? I suppose it's early days in the model's life, but is it something of a "working bike" like a Yamaha Diversion or is it more aimed at leisure use?

Did you notice what the pillion position was like? Do you reckon it'd be too underpowered for a pillion an luggage?

Cheers.
Old 27-05-06, 10:30 AM   #8
tomjones2

Good review, my only question on this bike is the cost. At 6-7k don't u think there is better stuff out there.

But then again BMW are always expensive and still sell well
Old 27-05-06, 12:10 PM   #9
fraser01

The basic price of the bike is £6000 for the S model, add another £500 for the ST model, the problem being is that you soon end up in the 7 grand bracket after adding afew extras..the on board computer, ABS, hugger for example. As for running costs, well i didnt go into depth with the salesman, the first service seems to be included but i did notice it said labour is paid for, not sure about the parts??

As for luggage, well i believe they are off the K1200S, the pillion seat is probably the same as the SV, although cannot comment on how comfy it is.
Old 27-05-06, 12:14 PM   #10
KayDee

A little off-topic here, sorry! What model of BMW was shown in a bike mag or mcn a while back, it was blue and white and ridden by a stunter!