SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-07-06, 10:36 PM   #1
Grinch

Default Got some cash and what to do...

Right I've got some cash, now I've been speaking to Northwind about me front end... so I've got that idea sorted. I have some Renthal bars and risers ready for that part of the conversion, plus a sub-frame and a whole collection of plastics to rebuild all that damage... So Anastasia will return once again...
But what do I do with this front end (lights and clocks)? Do I take the route 21QUEST took with his front end, which so far has been my fav. Or do I go the whole hog and change it... I'm just unsure about this.. I like the cut down idea, but i could sell the parts and get something like a GSXR head light, or a projector light mod. But that's been done... I don't want to go sill as time is hard to find and I'll also need some cash for a paint job.
I need a idea to make the bike stand-out, but as of yet my mind is dry... I'll just have to cruse eBay until something jumps out I think.

Scus me voicing... all replies welcome nothing too silly... well maybe you lot are odd at the best of times... and I'm not changing bikes, thats just not the point.
Old 31-07-06, 04:39 AM   #2
21QUEST
Mega Poster

So you've got the front end more sorted.

For the clocks/lights the easiest and least time consuming is to retain the original bits. If you went to even a single headlight you have to spend time sorting out the the wire that would normally be hidden in the front fairing. It would take even more time if you used for example a GSXR headlight with having to make brackets and such.

I changed mine to a single headlight and have managed to get the wires relatively tidied up by extending parts of the sub loom and hiding it under the tank. I say relatively because it ideally would still need the front section of the main loom shortened. I didn't have time for that and so had to sort of double it back on it's self. Not perfect but as the bike is now purely a work horse not too fussed. I've also put the clocks back in a ghetto fabulous fashion using a cut down clock bracket and a couple of lengths of steel. Not very pretty(a bit like me then) but functional.

Now , I'm going back to a cut down fairing for the other crashed damaged 650 I bought which I'm transferring all the nice bits to. One reason is time. It needs to be back on the road before the weather turns and really have not got time to fraff around so cut down fairing it is. No need to think about mounting different clocks, headlight etc.

Basically with time being an issue

*front end which you say you have sorted
*leave the original fairing/clock in on form or another
*single seat unit
*high level can
*Suspension (rear)

The single headlight does look nice on the curvy IMO but I wouldn't do it again(with an 'S') unless I have the time to shorten the main loom and come to thing of it lengthening some parts of the sub loom which I didn't do. It just sort of gets on my nerve really.

Another headlight to think about if you decide you have the time to do sort the loom out wire in a set of clock(if you don't want a bike speedo) is the stacked projector headlight. Similar to Ters'. That would be quite easy to mount as it only requires a simple bracket and looks well nice. I might go for similar next year myself once bike is up and running.

Emm... after all that waffling, I'm sure you get the gist

Cheers
Ben

ps: Don't cruise Ebay before you got sorted in your head what direction you want to go. At best you only waste time and at worst you end up wasting time and money.
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-06, 09:20 AM   #3
Grinch

Cheers mate...

I do like the look of those stacked projector lights, also as everyone seems to be at it now I imagine getting hold of some should be rather easy. But I must say I'm still drawn into that cut down S look with the renthal bars. As I have spare plastics I might give it a try anyway, times the hardest thing for me to find at the moment.

First though I'll get the backend back together and see about the MOT and Tax.
Old 31-07-06, 09:35 AM   #4
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinch
Cheers mate...

I do like the look of those stacked projector lights, also as everyone seems to be at it now I imagine getting hold of some should be rather easy. But I must say I'm still drawn into that cut down S look with the renthal bars. As I have spare plastics I might give it a try anyway, times the hardest thing for me to find at the moment.

First though I'll get the backend back together and see about the MOT and Tax.
Yep, I like the cut down S look too
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-06, 09:40 AM   #5
Grinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM
Yep, I like the cut down S look too
Not that much... lol...