SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 16-03-08, 08:27 AM   #1
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Default .org Scuba Divers

Hi,

I was wondering if any of the .orgs scuba divers could help us out with the difference and quality between the different brands. I'm looking to buy some kit at the moment, yet don't want to buy something that isn't that great because of my lack of knowledge!

Brands i'm looking at are:

Scubapro
Mares
US Divers
Tusa
Aqualung

Any others?

I find that shops here tend to sell only one or two brands and so trying to get an objective view across the board is tough!

I'm after:

BCD
Reg + Occy

Thanks all!
Luke
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-08, 08:30 AM   #2
Tim in Belgium

Default Re: .org Scuba Divers

Jealous, very jealous....
Old 16-03-08, 09:41 AM   #3
Scuba1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukemillar View Post
Hi,

I was wondering if any of the .orgs scuba divers could help us out with the difference and quality between the different brands. I'm looking to buy some kit at the moment, yet don't want to buy something that isn't that great because of my lack of knowledge!

Brands i'm looking at are:

Scubapro
Mares
US Divers
Tusa
Aqualung

Any others?

I find that shops here tend to sell only one or two brands and so trying to get an objective view across the board is tough!

I'm after:

BCD
Reg + Occy

Thanks all!
Luke
I have used Scubapro as the regs of choise for the dive centre that I used to own. Avoid aqualung like the plague. I myself use Poseidon 500 but they are a bit heavy but you can use them from both sides, so it does not matter on what side you carry your occy. I use a long hose on my main reg 210cm of it and hand that over to the buddy,but that is a matter of choice also. I don?t know where your diving will take youbut have you considered getting a wing and backplate instead of a BCD as thosethings will grow with your diving and I find them a lot more comfortable then a BCD, also the wing is modular and if something breaks, you can just change that part of it and don?t have to bin the whole thing. If on the other hand you just want to do the odd dip when on holls, anything goes, whatever you get, keep it clean and it will last a lot longer.

ATB

Michael
Old 16-03-08, 10:52 AM   #4
Davie

Apex reg's
buddy bcds built to last a life time you might not be abl
a metal back plate and wing is what i use and is pretty much future proof

but in saying this you might not get all this were you are
Old 16-03-08, 05:22 PM   #5
ASM-Forever

Watch out for sharks, sting rays, box jelly fish and sexually frustrated mermaids.

HTH.
Old 16-03-08, 08:27 PM   #6
Spike1105

iv done a dive and want to do my padi course next time i go somewere nice 2 dive?, fancy ridding down to spain in the future to do the course as my mate's dad has just bought a scuba shop with training facilities and will do it at mates rates
Old 16-03-08, 08:46 PM   #7
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba1 View Post
I have used Scubapro as the regs of choise for the dive centre that I used to own. Avoid aqualung like the plague. I myself use Poseidon 500 but they are a bit heavy but you can use them from both sides, so it does not matter on what side you carry your occy. I use a long hose on my main reg 210cm of it and hand that over to the buddy,but that is a matter of choice also. I don?t know where your diving will take youbut have you considered getting a wing and backplate instead of a BCD as thosethings will grow with your diving and I find them a lot more comfortable then a BCD, also the wing is modular and if something breaks, you can just change that part of it and don?t have to bin the whole thing. If on the other hand you just want to do the odd dip when on holls, anything goes, whatever you get, keep it clean and it will last a lot longer.

ATB

Michael
Hi Michael,

Thanks for your reply! I am only newly qualified so am looking to buy my first equipment. I know the initial cost outlay is quite high, so I'm looking to spend a little bit more, rather thin skimp as it is a one off. It's hard to say how much diving I'll be doing but, I would imagine quite a lot which will increase in the future.

The idea of a wing and backplate sounds pretty interesting, especially because you can replace parts. I hae had a look around but can't find out much info on manufacturers and stuff - can you point me in the right direction, so I can do some reading?

Thanks
Luke
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
Old 16-03-08, 08:48 PM   #8
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike1105 View Post
iv done a dive and want to do my padi course next time i go somewere nice 2 dive?, fancy ridding down to spain in the future to do the course as my mate's dad has just bought a scuba shop with training facilities and will do it at mates rates
With you on a 50 and me in Australia, riding down to Spain isn't going to happen! (but I bet I would still win! )
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
Old 16-03-08, 08:50 PM   #9
Berlin

Definitely Apex Octopus & Regs. Mines now 11 years old and still like it was bought yesterday. Suunto Cobra for Computer.
BDC depending on what you want it to do, try them on to get the best fit/make sure it doesn't rub/stays in place.

Carl
Old 17-03-08, 12:00 AM   #10
Scuba1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukemillar View Post
Hi Michael,

Thanks for your reply! I am only newly qualified so am looking to buy my first equipment. I know the initial cost outlay is quite high, so I'm looking to spend a little bit more, rather thin skimp as it is a one off. It's hard to say how much diving I'll be doing but, I would imagine quite a lot which will increase in the future.

The idea of a wing and backplate sounds pretty interesting, especially because you can replace parts. I hae had a look around but can't find out much info on manufacturers and stuff - can you point me in the right direction, so I can do some reading?

Thanks
Luke
Register in this forum and them that you know Scuba one and you will be taken care of in the best way.
http://www.yorkshire-divers.com/forums/

That will help

ATB Michael