SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 30-12-09, 02:28 PM   #1
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Queens Speech Boring ?

Seems that the DJ at this radio station thought so.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8434956.stm

I think he's got a point, it bl**dy was. I had it on in the car as I was travelling to Liz's parents and Radio 4 put it out live.

I had to say it was boring, she didnt even sound like she was interested in what she was reading / saying and IMHO it had more than likely been written for her.

If you are going to speak to the nation, put some passion into what you are saying.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-09, 02:31 PM   #2
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Default Re: Queens Speech Boring ?

The queens speech has always been boring.

I like this bit
Quote:
in 2004 it paid compensation to a woman who suffered permanent scarring to her buttocks by sitting on dry ice to try to win a competition.
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-09, 02:31 PM   #3
zsv650

i never watch it just a load of uninspired drivel.
Old 30-12-09, 03:14 PM   #4
Bri w

Out of perhaps an old fashioned (to some) level of respect for Queen and Country I've always watched/listened to the Queen's Xmas speech, and her opening of Parliament one too.

I thought this year's speech lacked energy and empathy. It certainly didn't 'connect' with me, or my feelings for our nation.

I know its only a snapshot view of her but my gut feeling was 'sell by date' expired. And, perhaps cruelly, if thats the best she can offer then its certainly not value for money.

Currently - Fighting the urge... seen a nice Triumph America

Previously - Honda CB125, Honda CB400-4 & BSA B40, Moto Guzzi 850, Yamaha RD250, Suzuki GT380, Kawasaki Z1B, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VFR, Triumph Street Triple R.
Bri w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-09, 03:16 PM   #5
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
I had to say it was boring, she didnt even sound like she was interested in what she was reading / saying and IMHO it had more than likely been written for her.
The Queen's Speech is always written by the Ministers Of The Crown, ie the upper ranks of government, by which you can deduce that on this occasion it's penned by the relentlessly spinning advisers to our 'PM'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
If you are going to speak to the nation, put some passion into what you are saying.
She's not 'speaking to the nation', she's repeating the risible babbling of a dying administration. The purpose of the speech is to set out the government's plans for the next year, and I'm sure she realises as much as the rest of us how pointless that is as they'll be out as soon as an election can be arranged.

Don't blame Liz for it, and don't blame her for sounding less than enthused either, this government have politicised the speech in a way not before seen, and by doing so attempted to turn the monarch into a New Labour mouthpiece, add to that I sincerely doubt she believes a word of it - any more then we do.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-09, 03:22 PM   #6
Bri w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid View Post
The Queen's Speech is always written by the Ministers Of The Crown, ie the upper ranks of government, by which you can deduce that on this occasion it's penned by the relentlessly spinning advisers to our 'PM'.

She's not 'speaking to the nation', she's repeating the risible babbling of a dying administration. The purpose of the speech is to set out the government's plans for the next year, and I'm sure she realises as much as the rest of us how pointless that is as they'll be out as soon as an election can be arranged.

Don't blame Liz for it, and don't blame her for sounding less than enthused either, this government have politicised the speech in a way not before seen, and by doing so attempted to turn the monarch into a New Labour mouthpiece, add to that I sincerely doubt she believes a word of it - any more then we do.
The Queen's speech at the opening of parliament is written by Senior Ministers, the Xmas speech is written by her.

Currently - Fighting the urge... seen a nice Triumph America

Previously - Honda CB125, Honda CB400-4 & BSA B40, Moto Guzzi 850, Yamaha RD250, Suzuki GT380, Kawasaki Z1B, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VFR, Triumph Street Triple R.
Bri w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-09, 03:26 PM   #7
suzijax

Was always forced as kids to listen to her drivel totally spoiled xmas day. Always said if i ever had kids they would never have to listen to her on xmas day and they never have done we ALWAYS turn it off as thats what the controls are for
Old 30-12-09, 03:36 PM   #8
Rai86

I was always brought up to watch it. Altho this year i missed it - didnt realise it was on BBC 4 live - would have listened if i knew. This is part of the tradition of themonarchy, and part of me.

People say its just the older generations that still watch it, but I am only 23 and i will be bringing my kids up to watch it as well. I would like my children to respect the queen and our country. Taking a hour out from stuffing your faces and ripping open presents to reflect on what people in Britain and around the world on behalf of Britain have had to endure is not too much to ask i think.

Last edited by Rai86; 30-12-09 at 03:39 PM.
Old 30-12-09, 03:41 PM   #9
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

It's on sky anytime and youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4ObGQLjfCo
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-09, 03:43 PM   #10
Rai86

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S View Post
It's on sky anytime and youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4ObGQLjfCo
Yes but some of us have to work Dazza I will get round to watching it when i get 5 min s