SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-07-06, 02:38 AM   #1
ak_uk

Default Hit a brick and buckled my wheel

I hit a brick that was left in the middle of the road, moving back in after an overtake, in the dark on Friday at about 50. Checked it out myself and all I noticed was a small cut in the tyre and a couple of marks on the wheel.

Had my motosliders fitted today and the mechanic said my front wheel is buckled and the bearing is on its way out. The forks are fine though. Apparently the wheel costs £££'s. He says I can ride it until he gets the parts though...

FFS - this biking lark is expensive!

Just splashed out on riding gear an hour before he told me. All the gear is great but I've lost the sensitivity I had changing gears with the new boots compared to regular boots and seem to be able to change 1-2 but have to repositi on my foot for 3 onwards and even then I can miss out a gears regularly.....

At least my counter-steering practice is cheering me up.
Old 02-07-06, 07:36 AM   #2
RingDing

I did exactly the same thing on my GSX600F years back. Only just stayed on. The front wheel was knackered but got one from a breakers for £80.

The front wheel on my Triumph Trophy was buckled as well (very soft alloy Brembos) and failed a MOT beacuase of it. That time I sent it to Maidstone Motoliners (01622 - 790 705) who straightened it for £50 (IIRC).

If I were you I'd explore getting a secondhand one or getting your current one straightened.

P.

3x Honda C110 - phut-phut-phut
KTM Duke 690 - brum-braaaaaaa!!!!!
BSA C25 - brum-braa-braa
RD350LC Ring-ding-phut-clatter-££££££
RingDing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-06, 07:38 AM   #3
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

check on ebay they normally come up pretty often
Old 02-07-06, 08:23 AM   #4
ak_uk

Thanks guys, none on ebay at the moment (need a K5) and maidstone motoliners are charging from £55 so I think I'll give them a call on Monday..
Old 02-07-06, 09:36 AM   #5
Mr Toad

motoliners did a very good job straightening my buckled front wheel, can't praise them enough
Old 03-07-06, 09:48 AM   #6
SVeeedy Gonzales

Keep an eye on ebay - stuff comes up there now and then (if you can afford to wait) and you might find one for 50-100 quid. Maybe try breakers too (though the front wheel is harder to find as a lot of SV's end their days by hitting solid objects)

Had the same thing happen over a year ago, same speed, head on into a half brick. Front wheel came up but no damage done to bike, just underpants.
Old 03-07-06, 02:49 PM   #7
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Default Re: Hit a brick and buckled my wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_uk
........ I've lost the sensitivity I had changing gears with the new boots compared to regular boots and seem to be able to change 1-2 but have to repositi on my foot for 3 onwards and even then I can miss out a gears regularly.....
You can adjust the angle of the gear change you know, i did it on mine and it made a great diffrence to my foots comfort too.
And its easy to do
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-06, 03:21 PM   #8
jambo
Mega Poster

As stated Maidstome Motoliner are well worth a look, if there's a cut in the tyre I'd make changing it a major priority assuming it's not just a little nick, they're gonna have the tyre off the front to straighten it anyway, might be the ideal time to look at new front tyre. Again the nice people at maidstone motoliner or similar should be able to tell you if the current one's ok or not)

Also worth looking at changing the bearings while you're there (assuming it's the wheel bearings that are on the way out).
Old 03-07-06, 06:58 PM   #9
chunkytfg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVeeedy Gonzales
Keep an eye on ebay - stuff comes up there now and then (if you can afford to wait) and you might find one for 50-100 quid. Maybe try breakers too (though the front wheel is harder to find as a lot of SV's end their days by hitting solid objects)

Had the same thing happen over a year ago, same speed, head on into a half brick. Front wheel came up but no damage done to bike, just underpants.
if you can find one for that pirce i'll buyit off you straight away for a mere £75 on top. easy money!!!!!

I have never seen a straight K3+ front wheel go for less than £190
Old 04-07-06, 08:36 AM   #10
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkytfg
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVeeedy Gonzales

if you can find one for that pirce i'll buyit off you straight away for a mere £75 on top. easy money!!!!!

I have never seen a straight K3+ front wheel go for less than £190
That must be including discs though... right?