SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-09-08, 07:32 PM   #1
Sean_C

Default Crashed SVS to Cafe Racer..

Yup, my bike is now done

I crashed on may 11th and have spent the last 4 months taking bits off, putting new bits on, taking them off again, and now I’m finally done

The damage from the crash was fairly serious- one snapped fork, one banana shaped fork, one smashed mirror, every fairing panel cracked badly, headlight unit smashed, one R&G bung just disappeared, we couldn’t find it, had no idea where it went! Busted radiator, wouldn’t hold water.. but the indicators were fine

About the same time I crashed a complete gsxr front end came up for sale on org, which I snapped up. I’ve also installed a HID headlight, Trailtech Vapor, and fitted my Roca bellypan. Hiding the S loom was a pain, but its do-able- I took the airbox off to get mine done.

Some before and after pics.. Sorry about the size, I can't figure out how to resize them..
Taken by Seggons, some crash pics:

Now some after pics

The rest are on my flickr:
http://flickr.com/photos/clery/

So- what have I done?
GSXR front end, TLS clip ons, new 320mm discs, tokico 4 pots.
7inch round headlight, with a 55w HID kit inside it
Fitted my roca bellypan, had to make spacers for it
Trailtech vapor- Easy enough to install. I used some 1/8th thick by 1” strips of ally to mount the vapor, using the locating bolts for the clip ons under the top yoke.
Cut down my old screen as a shield against water getting on the wiring.
Tidied up the mudflap a little, moved the mudguard up. I’ll get some indicators to match the front next time I’m in a bike shop.
Seat cowl- not a perfect match, but it still looks decent.

To install my speedo sensor, I bought some pop rivets and drilled holes in my swingarm. I know it says you shouldn’t modify it in anyway, but this was the neatest solution, quite tidy, so I made the decision knowing if something mucks up its my fault The little magnet isn't glued or anything, and its good for 100mph continuos, though I'll take a few around with me anyway.

I’ve also wired up a neat little LED so that I have two fuel lights- the biggest reserve on the vapor unit, and the get-to-the-petrol-station reserve on the LED under the unit.

Money spent..
500 on gsxr wheel, forks, yokes, TL clip ons, with brake discs and a 70 profile tyre
230 on new brake discs, the ones that came with the job lot had a little too much movement.
80 on new rad
15 on the rad guard which i had to butcher to fit the S model rad
165 on avon storms and fitting
60 on a hids4u 55w H4 HID kit
70 on primers/paints/lacquer/wet and dry etc
210 on new helmet- my arai tested ok, but theres a fair bit of cosmetic damage, and my small shoei xr1000 fits me much better than my medium arai condor ever did
35 on seat cowl

Which adds up to just over 1350, and I’m sure I’ve forgotten something!

[edit: yup, mirrors 30 quid, fender extender (not fitted yet) 20 quid, so thats 1400..]
As with any project, its never finished- This weekend I’m picking up a few nice bits off Pete and Lissa

So.. I’ve just done 20 miles with Dad. There were some strange noises, which I then realised were the loose spanners, sockets, screw drivers and allen keys in my tankbad.. doh!
Baring in mind I’ve got new tyres, pads, discs and front end, I’m very impressed with how the bike feels. The damping is such a huge improvement, I never realised how bad the stock front end was. The HID kit is amazing- its better than Dad’s VFR on full beam, which is saying something. I got flashed a couple of times so pulled over and set it lower, no more flashes, and they’re still beyond amazing. A brilliant upgrade for not much money. Two things struck me- oh how I’ve missed that exhaust! And I never remember it being so loud

Best of all, after 4 months and 4 days without riding a bike, I got on and it was all normal. No nerves like I thought I’d have after riding pillion with Dad, just pure fun Dad’s gotten a lot faster, but I can still keep up with him and have plenty in reserve too

Tomorrow we’re going to go out earlier so I can have some warmer and daylight miles under my belt. I can’t wait

Thanks to the EAR lot for looking after me, giving me ideas, encouraging me and even visiting me! Also to Yorkie Chris and Northwind who’ve shared their knowledge with me

Last edited by Sean_C; 15-09-08 at 08:25 PM.
Old 15-09-08, 07:35 PM   #2
Girth
Mega Poster

Default Re: Crashed SVS to Cafe Racer..

Looks very like a Duke monster.........NIIIIIIIICE!!!

EDIT: ........for a curvy!
Old 15-09-08, 07:37 PM   #3
lily

Looks good sean

Bet you are glad to have it back
Old 15-09-08, 07:38 PM   #4
Sean_C

Oh yes

FREEDOM!!!!

I'm just glad it feels normal to ride it, I'm not a bag of nerves. Very reassuring, cos I'm going to be covering a few miles over the next week
Old 15-09-08, 07:46 PM   #5
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

How did you get on with the brackets for your Roca Sean?, I seem to remember you getting it without them and was making one up yourself

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-08, 07:48 PM   #6
Sean_C

Thanks Girth, I like the monster look- I'd love an S4R...

Dizzy, I made the spacers easy enough- Pete took his roca off and measured them for me, and the bolts too, and I found some type of wall plug in Dad's shed, which I cut roughly to length, then grinded till perfecto
Old 15-09-08, 07:51 PM   #7
zunkus

Don't take it wrong mate, but I'm so glad you crashed your bike. It's now georgeous. Well done on a super build. Noticed you installed the Vapor unit. Is it working MPH ok and does it have waterproofing problems? What did you use for speedo pickup?

Last edited by zunkus; 15-09-08 at 08:40 PM.
Old 15-09-08, 07:53 PM   #8
Sean_C

Thankyou very much
I'm rather pleased with how it turned out
Old 15-09-08, 07:53 PM   #9
Mike2165

Nice one Sean, look forward to seeing it and you soon. That Vapour looks the business, looks like it does more than just tell you your speeding!!

Last edited by Mike2165; 15-09-08 at 07:57 PM.
Old 15-09-08, 08:20 PM   #10
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Nice.It cafes up well dont it?