SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Closed Thread

Old 16-04-10, 01:35 PM   #31
Stig

Default Re: Unhappy with servicing.

Oh had I read this before your FB status I would not have written what I did. Was right though.

Another good example of why I learnt to do stuff on my own bike and why I do not trust garages.

Old 16-04-10, 04:02 PM   #32
Philbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Bar Kid View Post
I didn't get the caliper back tonight. He had just dropped bike off and then drove away, I had to sprint after him as he didn't even leave my key!! I will phone tomorrow and ask for the caliper to be sent through, or arrange for someone to pick it up for me!!
Can't be 100% sure, but going by the cost of a set of caliper seals for my old RGV250, that will probably be an exchange and return price for the second hand caliper. i.e. they keep your old one as part of the deal. Pretty normal practice in all sorts of industries.

Sounds like a wee letter to Mr Suzuki is order regarding the managers attitide and general poor customer service.

Last edited by Philbo; 16-04-10 at 04:28 PM.

Old 16-04-10, 04:48 PM   #33
Dicky Ticker

Should be in uniform and I bet he has a different approach especially if you take a couple of big mates with you
I am NOT suggesting you should exercise any powers over him but I think that
they have given you the run around and a reduction in the bill for your time and travelling expenses is in order,especially as you were travelling on the information
supplied by them

Old 16-04-10, 04:56 PM   #34
Sosha

Well the attitude sucked but the bill was OK - now - How's the Bike?

Old 16-04-10, 05:43 PM   #35
ethariel

Just as an aside - next time you get the 'oh it needs ABC done' followed by an 'oh xyz needs doing too!!', just tell them you want all the old parts kept for inspection when you pick the bike up.
Old 16-04-10, 10:57 PM   #36
thefallenangel

If you haven't paid the bill, ask for the old caliper and reufse to pay the bill until it arrives as it's classed as your materials as it's not been declared as waste, otherwise the dealer will "overhaul" it and use it on the next mugs bike.

Old 17-04-10, 06:46 AM   #37
Spanner Man
Mega Poster

Good morning all.

Sorry to hear of your problems. Don't go there again, & tell everyone you meet what a bunch of Shysters they are is my recommendation.

How about this for main dealer 'service'. We had a chap bring in a Yamaha 125 scooter yeaterday for new brakes & an MOT prep.

We noticed that the lower caliper retaining bolt was missing. Apparently West London Yamaha in Hanworth (Name & Shame) Had told him that was ok after he queried whether there should be a bolt in the vacant hole! Not only that, the other bolt had been done up by King Kongs bigger brother!

Cheers.
Old 17-04-10, 07:38 AM   #38
Lozzo

Default Re: Servicing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wideboy View Post
you didn't give the go ahead for a second calliper?

he's right about not touching them without your permission but replacing it without your permission?? I'd be concerned he didn't replace it at all especially using second hand parts
What's the big deal with people buying used brake parts because they are potentially damgerous?

Just bear in mind that every time you buy a used bike you buy used brake parts. In fact every time you buy a used bike, all you're buying is a bolted together collection of used parts.

It's probably cheaper, in both parts terms and labour to replace a rear caliper with a new one than it is to renovate an old seized one. If they had a good caliper to hand then I wouldn't be complaining.

FWIW, a 1996 to '98 CBR600F rear caliper is the same as a pointy's one, so they aren't hard to find if anyone ever needs one.

Old 17-04-10, 07:40 AM   #39
Neeja

Default Re: Servicing...

Quote:
That was the shop management!!!

Next time I am down, you and the Stretchmeister can show me some stuff...maybe!
Or stop off for a cuppa in Warrington on the way, take the mick out of Saxo and get shown stuff here

Old 21-04-10, 08:19 AM   #40
Glencoe

Quote:
So, as some of you will be aware, I took my bike into our nearest suzuki dealer for servicing on Tuesday. I arrived just before 1pm as agreed and was told that unless there was some MAJOR problem then the bike would be ready by the end of the day.

I got a phonecall about twenty to four telling me the front brakes needed stripping and that it should be finished about 5pm. Fine says I. Ten minutes later, I get a call saying, actually, no. They are quite badly corroded and bike won't be ready til 10am the following morning. So bearing in mind I am about 55 miles away from home, I popped down and asked to have a look. The manager wasn't overly chuffed but agreed to take me into the workshop. The sight which met me was the mechanic working on a Yamaha R6....with no one even near my bike and the calipers were still on it.

I asked them if there were any other issues with the bike and was told no, absolutely everything else was fine. I left it like that and jumped on the back of my pals GSXR750 to get home.

Next morning, a pal gave me a lift back through. Arrived about 11.25am. Bike not touched all morning. Was then told the rear caliper was stuff and that a pin had apparently seized in it and they were apparently not allowed to touch the bike til I had given permission. I queried why I wasn't 'phoned and the guy started getting all defensive and saying stuff like" Are you complaining about the service? What exactly is your complaint??"

I politely explained that I didn't understand why I couldn't have been informed about the problems earlier on, saving me the 110 mile round trip. He got really snotted and decided I was trying to accuse him of diddling me out of money. I informed him that I was suggesting no such thing and that tbh, the money wasn't what concerned me. He got very rude and said the following:

"If you are not happy with our service then I suggest you go elsewhere in future."

I completely agreed with this point!!!

Anyway, he then informed me bike would be ready after lunch. I met up with a lass that used to work on my shift, had lunch and natter for an hour and a half. Went back down with her, nope. Not ready. Be ready in an hour.

Got a phone call, not be ready til later, need to drill a pin out....ok says I, how long, about another hour or so. An hour and a half later I went down....no joy. And they had stopped working on my bike.

I lost the rag a little bit and told them I didn't mind them doing the work that needed done on my bike but that I was raging that they had me running about after them for two whole days!! He then told me he would deliver my bike tomorrow, no extra charge.

I then had to sit for 3 hours and wait on the next bus - in full gear. Got on the bus, like a twonk wearing leathers and looking like a total Tard...

So we worked it out and apparently with all the work this mechanic had done, it was at least 6hrs of labour (if all that I was being told was true).

Tonight, 2 hours after bike was due, he arrives. Apparently had to replace caliper with a second hand one. Fair dues.

My invoice looks as follows:

7500 miles service: 3.5 hrs @ £40 per hour + VAT = £140
Silkolene Oil: £14.25
Sump washers: £0.50
Oil filter: £9.57
Spark Plug: £12.72
Health and safety: £3.38
2nd hand caliper: £34.04

Grand total: £252!!!!

Never again.
Hmmm yeah thats not good atall is it, with that kind of service I think you would be better off learning a bit of bike mechanics, get a genuine workshop manual, that would be a good place to start.

Closed Thread