SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 20-07-24, 06:42 AM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default 13th worst seaside resort...

... goes to Cleethorpes.

Whilst I'm not totally surprised by this, what does surprise me is that it rates better than Gt Yarmouth, Margate, Skegness and Mablethorpe.

I admit I am basing it on childhood memories and I used to love roller coasters, the Clee roller coaster was tame (and was torn down years ago) but Yarmouth's and Margate's was much better.

As for beaches, Cleethorpes does have one but it's on the Humber estuary and go too far out (very shallow drop off) and you reach mud. Mablethorpe and Skegness are actually on the North Sea and have decent beaches for kids although I remember lots of jellyfish at Mablethorpe (seem to have all disappeared now).

Cleethorpes council are trying hard to renovate the front but when it's probably cheaper to go to the Med, they may be fighting a losing battle (and don't get me started talking about our joined-at-the-hip neighbour, Grimsby).

edit: link https://uk.yahoo.com/style/uks-best-...115804324.html

I always thought it amusing that the A46 starts in Bath and ends in Cleethorpes. Definition of chalk and cheese.

Last edited by Seeker; 20-07-24 at 06:55 AM.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-24, 10:56 AM   #2
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Default Re: 13th worst seaside resort...

They ruined it for me when they removed the M/C bay on the front near the pier

If you are up that way drop into Route 18 Roadside café. Open to around 1.30/2pm everyday.

https://shorturl.at/iAUDK

Best bacon and tomato on the South bank and cheap. Their pasties are awesome as well and the council have put some decent tarmac down as it used to have nasty potholes in the parking bay.

Have you been to Jenny's ?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/...1hzq?entry=ttu

Great cakes and always a few bikers there.
Old 20-07-24, 10:59 AM   #3
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

These surveys and lists are usually utter garbage. One will say good things while another, just a week later, can say the opposite.

I have fond memories of Great Yarmouth, having grown up just ten miles from there. The vibrant market, now redeveloped with no character or soul, the Marina Leisure Centre on the front with a wave machine, now a crumbling wreck, and the Pleasure Beach which looked so rusty and run down last time I walked past it I'm surprised anyone goes there any more. Its no different to any other faded seaside resort and if you look in the right place you do find some old gems worth seeing. Alas, the surplus of cheap hotel rooms means they're often used to home asylum seekers, which changes the atmosphere a smidge...
Old 20-07-24, 11:06 AM   #4
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

I think that's why I like Withernsea and Hornsea up this way. They've never been too big or over-popular to fail but still have their own charm.

I'm probably off to ,"WithStock" next weekend on one of the days for a couple of hours

https://www.visiteastyorkshire.co.uk...val/214035101/
Old 20-07-24, 01:33 PM   #5
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post
They ruined it for me when they removed the M/C bay on the front near the pier
That area is part of the renovation project.

Quote:
If you are up that way drop into Route 18 Roadside café. Open to around 1.30/2pm everyday.
Been past it a few times when heading for the bridge but I'm a vegetarian (mostly ) and I'm usually looking for cake. Uncle Henry's just off the A15 is good, about 5 miles north of Caenby Corner on B1205

Quote:
Have you been to Jenny's ?
I visited her last place when it was on the A46 (Faldingworth) but that was a while ago because I had a Street Triple so <2016. The Brigg area always seems to be a place I'm passing through.
Old 22-07-24, 08:34 AM   #6
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

I went to Route 18 for a Bacon and tomato sarnie yesterday ( Sunday) still brill. Then I had a run to Cleethorpes. It was OK. There's a couple of other Motorcycle bays one near the Leisure centre that isn't bad. Had a good ride around and ended up at Jenny's @ Hibaldstow. Lovely big bit of Choccy cake and quite a few bikes there