SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

View Poll Results: How long have u left your bike standing and still had it start off the button?
A day - a week 8 22.22%
A day 1 2.78%
A week - a fortnight 4 11.11%
A fortnight - a month 9 25.00%
A month - two months 2 5.56%
Two months - three months 6 16.67%
Three months plus 6 16.67%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-02-04, 09:29 PM   #1
ronnus

Default It's alive!!!! How long have you....

Having taken a fit of guilt after last night realising I haven't even started the SV since December the 7th I decided to try and start it this morning. Expecting at least the battery to be dead and the carbs needing draining due to the fuel being old n minging, imagine my utter shock/delight when it actually started after a mere minute and a half of unconvincing choke/throttle manipulations, swearing, starter button prodding and whispering sweet nothings to the battery n carbs... Needless to say it got a nice tankful of super and some octane booster (to try n replenish the crappy old fuel in it) as a thank you!

So how long have u left your bike and still got it to start off the button?
Old 06-02-04, 09:48 PM   #2
Itching 2 go

Default Re: It's alive!!!! How long have you....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnus
So how long have u left your bike and still got it to start off the button?
well i normally leave my bros 400 just lying aroud for anything up to 6months what a bike never a problem starting
Old 07-02-04, 02:06 AM   #3
SVTONYB

I've never left her longer than a few days without at least starting her up.... she loves me for it.....never says no
Old 07-02-04, 06:40 AM   #4
Logie bear

After nearly 2 months, I did have the battery removed for part of that, she started no problem, first push of the button.
Then I rode 130 miles thru torrential rain to work, my trousers leaked like a seive, got covered in ****e after spending half a day cleaning her up before christmas.
Then rode back home in very cold conditions yesterday, surprisingly saw loads of other bikes out and about.
And I loved every minute of it.
Now to start cleaning again.
Old 07-02-04, 08:46 AM   #5
budgie

left mine from sept till three days ago, she was covered in fungi the battery was u.s and she had to jumped off the car but she started no probs, I PROMISED HER I WILL NEVER DO IT AGAIN, SOD THE WIFE AND THE DIY,cleaned and pollished her bought a new battery and tyre and im ready to go.
Old 08-02-04, 12:23 PM   #6
Luckypants
Mega Poster

While moving house I left my bike in my mates garage for 5 months. He was under instruction not to touch her as he knows nothing about bikes. Picked her up when new house sorted out, she started on the 3rd go! Checked the tyre pressures and rode her from York to N. Wales to clear out the 'gunk' of a long 'sleep' and she's as happy as larry!

love this bike
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-04, 12:29 PM   #7
Iansv

Its never gone more than 2 days of not being used and thatwas only cos of snow so can't really help, i give a bit of choke to start all the time anyway due to the cold
Old 09-02-04, 12:43 PM   #8
RenamedMonkey

Mines been sitting in the garage for most of January and I'm hoping that once it'a repaired it will start first time. Left it over Christmas period and it started first time, no probs - that was for about 3 weeks.
Old 09-02-04, 03:10 PM   #9
Viney
Mega Poster

When i had my off last year, i couldnt ride for the best part of 3 months, but she started on the button, 2nd turn of the engine. However, a week later, she didnt! Flat battery! Oh, and that was with the alarm on for those 3 months!

She does get ridden daily other than that.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote