SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-10-11, 05:20 PM   #1
Thaleshwar

Question Key reminder

Hi,

I was wondering if it was good idea to hook key in a spare disklock reminder coil attached to the jacket / Hiviz I am wearing, as very often in the midst of removing the gloves and helmet etc I forget to remove and take the keys from the motorbike, after I stop and park. I have seen some courier motorcyclist etc with their keys hanging on their jacket, also the Hiviz vest I received for doing the bikesafe course has a 'D' ring stiched on top left front, I think this should be for hooking the keys? will appreciate some comments.

Thanks
Old 18-10-11, 09:40 PM   #2
DJ123
Mega Poster

Default Re: Key reminder

when you park your bike do you put your steering lock on, and then open your seat to get out your disk lock and then lock it on? if so, i can't see how you would forget your keys!
I wouldn't hook it to myself whilst riding the bike, only when off the bike. Why not attach the keys to a lanyard and be sure to wrap the lanyard around something you'll see to remind you to take the keys.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-11, 02:13 AM   #3
Stenno

As above. My key also contains my disk lock key which normally reminds me to take it. You just need to get into a habit of making sure you have it.

Mind you, that's not to say I haven't done it myself in the past. I've left the keys in the ignition over night before and on day trips out I've left it in the seat lock. Oh well :P
Old 19-10-11, 07:51 AM   #4
AndyBrad

im forever leaving ym keys in the lock, left it in the middle of hudds with the key and alarm fob in before. also in the middle of brighouse. no ones ever nicked it which i find strange as apparently acording to my insurance company i live next to afganistan.
Old 19-10-11, 08:38 AM   #5
Dicky Ticker

The best reminder is when you come back and find your bike gone and think------
F***M* I wont do that again Especially when you tell the insurance you left trhe keys in it and the declare your insurance void

Joking apart,if you are forgetful regarding your keys connecting them to the bottom of your jacket somehow is a good idea.
Old 19-10-11, 09:38 AM   #6
enzoalex

But won't the cable by going over your tank, rubbing on the paintwork?

I left my bike key in my seat lock on the weekend, I always make a habit of double checking i've got all my keys as I'm walking away, so I quickly turned back for it.
Old 19-10-11, 10:16 AM   #7
Owenski

Countless times my keys in the pillion seat lock. At work, at uni, at home pretty sure I've done it in most places.

If you can run the 2nd disclock coil from bike to body then 100% good solution. I'd be trying to attached it near the waist as opposed to a breast pocket though.
Old 19-10-11, 06:32 PM   #8
victor_meldrew

and I thought it was just me ... put your lock key on the bike key, is the best way - and remember to lock it !