SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-03-09, 08:31 AM   #1
mike_red2uk

Default GSXR front forks onto a Curvy

Hope someone can put me right on this upgrade!

What year/model GSXR fron forks fit a Curvy?

Is it just a straight swap for the forks or will i need a GSXR front complete with brakes, disks, wheel etc ????

some one knows the answer !!! can someone help ?
Old 19-03-09, 08:49 AM   #2
davepreston

Default Re: GSXR front forks onto a Curvy

allow me this time peeps

use the search facility there are 10000's of ones on this with all the answers you need
Old 19-03-09, 08:52 AM   #3
davepreston

type in THE GR33k look at any of his posts a link is on his signature
Old 19-03-09, 10:03 AM   #4
Geoffrey

this chap fitted a front end to my son's bike not too long ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
Keep it simple, for USD forks what you need is the entire GSXR 750 SRAD (1996-1999) front end for a Curvy and for RWU forks the entire GSXR 600 SRAD (1996-2000) front end (bear in mind many GSXR parts are interchangeable between models)....

Yokes, Forks, Wheel, Spindle, Brake Discs, Brake Calipers, and the Fender.

In addition you will need TL1000S clip-ons for the 750 forks as the GSXR ones are two low and the throttle cables will damage the fairings. To make it all work the simplest method is to buy a bearing from Twin Works Factory, this replaces the top bearing on the SV and allows for the bigger SRAD stem to pass through. The lower SV bearing can be retained as it is a shared part with the GSXR's.

I have fitted 27 front ends to Curvy's in the past 9 years, and 4 have had steering lock alignment issues (which is a bit strange for a mass produced bike and parts). The simplest way to over come this, and the best if you want to return to the SV front end in the future, is to file off 1mm from the SRAD's right hand side steering lock tab. This will allow the SV's handle bars to lock and cause no permanent damage to the bikes frame or ignition barrel.

Another method to mount the yokes, without the TWF bearing is a little more time consuming. You need an SV steering stem for the SRAD bottom yoke, however it is a smaller diameter than the SRAD's so you will have to braze some metal on and then mill it down to the correct size. A shim (spacer) is also required for the top yoke as the SV steering stem is a smaller diameter up there too. The advantages of this method is that the bike retains all its original headrace bearings, thus making them easier and quicker to get hold of.

The one problem you will be left with, whether you go USD or RWU is the speedo. The SV650 runs it speedo off of the front wheel and the SRAD wheel has no location for it and the SRAD spindle has no space and is to large a diameter to except the speedo unit. There are three option to take, one is to run with no speedo, another is to use a Hall Effect sensor (Northwind and Yorkie Chris are your experts here ), and the final option is to run the standard SV speedo off of the rear wheel.

The above USD fork option is only applicable to Curvy SV's (1999-2002).
Old 19-03-09, 10:42 AM   #5
Nicky S
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepreston View Post
allow me this time peeps

use the search facility there are 10000's of ones on this with all the answers you need
+1

Nicky S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-09, 08:22 AM   #6
mike_red2uk

Thanks for the helpful point in the right direction, and the other replies too
Old 20-03-09, 08:31 AM   #7
plowsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky S View Post
+1
Most pointless post of the day goes to....

Mike, welcome to the site, there is a table that can be used to show interchanging parts/whats needed to fit what.

>>>Click<<<

Yes you can use the search, but why not just hook the guy up. I bet some people remember when they ask the noob's question. I know I do.
Old 20-03-09, 09:51 AM   #8
Dappa D

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowsie View Post
Most pointless post of the day goes to....

Mike, welcome to the site, there is a table that can be used to show interchanging parts/whats needed to fit what.

>>>Click<<<

Yes you can use the search, but why not just hook the guy up. I bet some people remember when they ask the noob's question. I know I do.
well put plowsie

Hi Mike - let us know if ya do it fella
Old 20-03-09, 10:14 AM   #9
mike_red2uk

spot on cheers
Old 20-03-09, 10:50 AM   #10
mike_red2uk

well for now ive fitted a Hyperpro rear race shock
and Hyperpro springs and oil to the front std forks,
first trackday not till cadwell in april (doin 10 this year), first year on this minitwin tho,
might track me Sp-1 later in the year or next year instead,
see how it goes,
thanks for the genuine advise tho

m