SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-05-07, 10:16 PM   #11
stooster

Default Re: Ready for a noob question? Here you go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo View Post
My old naked SV was fine on private roads up to say 85mph. If you plan to cruise at anything more you really need something with a screen. I usually go out on long runs with 3 mates...a 600 gsxr, cbr600rr, and a naked 600 bandit. If the sport guys go for high speeds, and I try to keep up the lack of screen was a pain...literally! However, they were the ones wanting to stop all the time with back pains! And when it came to the twisty stuff, the wide bars and riding position of the SV and bandit, meant we left the sports bike boys behind!

maybe you should go see rossi and tell him that getting a high rise unfaired bike will make him quicker............

surely the s (sport)at the of the sv on faired bikes makes it a quicker bike to a good rider........

a good rider on a naked sv will blip a bad rider in the twisties on a gixer 1000.....

but like wise a good rider on a faired sv 650 will blitz a bad rider in tiwsties on apprillia 1000 tuono.....

appreciate yr sayinfthe faired is quiker on the straights but im sure it is a lso better set up for bends also

get the same rider on a track on the sv faied and unfaired and im pretty sure id back the winning lap time........

Last edited by stooster; 26-05-07 at 10:24 PM.
Old 27-05-07, 06:13 AM   #12
kcowgergmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by EC8010 View Post
I bought the naked SV650 because I once had a faired Ducati Pantah. Riding down unlit unknown country roads and finding the road has disappeared is not fun. Naked bikes take the headlight beam with the bars, faired bikes allow you to see where you'll end up if it all goes wrong (not terribly useful). Having said that, I bought my SV650 for commuting down country lanes where you can rarely go over 60mph - I wouldn't want to go all that far at > 70mph. The upright position is kind on my back...
I'm not the smartest and i am drunk right now but if you are going to the right wouldn't your light be more to the left because of the counter steering i maybe off but i think that would make it worse
Old 27-05-07, 01:49 PM   #13
Damoulianos Marios

Counter-steering has an effect on the front-end alignment only in the initial input. immediately after the bike's starts leaning the wheel looks already properly to the inside of the turn
Old 27-05-07, 04:05 PM   #14
kcowgergmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damoulianos Marios View Post
Counter-steering has an effect on the front-end alignment only in the initial input. immediately after the bike's starts leaning the wheel looks already properly to the inside of the turn
Ill have to pay a little closer attention next time i ride
Old 27-05-07, 06:35 PM   #15
Philbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by stooster View Post
maybe you should go see rossi and tell him that getting a high rise unfaired bike will make him quicker............
OOOO get her...

Obviously this thread isn't dealing with that level of skill or technology where an extra degree of deflection on a screen can affect performance of the bike!

We're talking about the pros and cons of naked and faired SV's...not a bike Rossi is likely to riding round a track any time soon.

I also believe that the info I gave was clearly about personal experience, and was not presented as anything other than this.

Quote:
surely the s (sport)at the of the sv on faired bikes makes it a quicker bike to a good rider........
How? Does the letter "S" have some mystical power? You said yourself it's all about the rider? OK I suppose it will have better aerodynamics, and a slightly higher top speed, but I've already acknowledged that the naked stoped bieng fun for me after 85mph.

Quote:
a good rider on a naked sv will blip a bad rider in the twisties on a gixer 1000.....
Agree

Quote:
but like wise a good rider on a faired sv 650 will blitz a bad rider in tiwsties on apprillia 1000 tuono.....
Also agree...

Quote:
appreciate yr sayinfthe faired is quiker on the straights but im sure it is a lso better set up for bends also
Yeh, a faired Jap sports IL4 600... As for the faired SV, it does have a higher top speed, but also has slower acceleration than the naked. (But as you've pointed out it's up to the rider to exploit these differences). And on a public road how often is top speed going to be a factor?

Quote:
get the same rider on a track on the sv faied and unfaired and im pretty sure id back the winning lap time........
Who mentioned track days?

Not sure why my post provoked such a fiery response from you. A new member asked for opinions about faired and naked SV650's, and that's what I posted. You'll notice that I don't even mention the faired SV, becuase I've never been on one, and I have simply talked about my opinions and experiences. At the end of the day it's all about personal preference...

Last edited by Philbo; 27-05-07 at 06:41 PM.
Old 27-05-07, 06:40 PM   #16
Alpinestarhero

Quote:

surely the s (sport)at the of the sv on faired bikes makes it a quicker bike to a good rider...........
Yea, the S adds several BHP and more grip only playing! dont take offence lol

The naked, having wider bars, means there is more leverage and therefore is easier to throw side to side - hence, easier to ride faste ron the twisty stuff. But it does suffer an areodynamic disadvantage...

Matt
Old 28-05-07, 01:18 AM   #17
Damoulianos Marios

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinestarhero View Post

The naked, having wider bars, means there is more leverage and therefore is easier to throw side to side -
The difference is very small. If you ride properly, i.e. body leaned forward and absolutely NO weight on the clip-ons, you can pretty much achieve the same flicking speed. The secret lies in using the footpegs for creating thrusting leverage for your arms when you need to flick.

I know this because I have a naked on which I installed the #1 variation from these:

http://www.suburban-machinery.com/sv650.htm

I also installed higher rearsets.

Initially I thought too that the bike had heavier steering but when I learned to lean forward and place no weight on the handlebar the bike would almost be driven and not ridden, with loads more feedback and loads more precision in line holding.

In all, the clip-ons are a wholly different world in riding but it needs to be sporty for them to shine...
Old 29-05-07, 11:43 AM   #18
Marrinator

Nice one, cheers guys.

As soon as i get the bike, I will not be riding next to Rossi at Monza so I don't think that's an issue. There's some interesting facts there. I think I'll be getting naked... myyyyyyy favourite.

Laters!