SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

2006 Annual Rideout Discussions & info on the 2006 SV650.org's annual rideout

Old 26-01-06, 07:20 PM   #1
Stig

Default Possible camp site???

With so many people this year deciding to camp it, I thought that it would be wise to start searching for a suitable place early as to make sure that we could get somewhere that could cater for such a large number of people, tents and bikes.

I contacted a camp site that is situated in Much Wenlock, this is some 12 miles from the centre of Shrewsbury. For those that don't know, the rideout this year is to be in Shropshire. A home venue this year for the overlord of the org.

Anyway, back on track. I initially contacted the owner stating that this was a preliminary enquiry if they could accommodate the number of people (between 25-35) that we were expecting.

His reply to this was that at this time he could supply a whole field for the sole use of ourselves. This I thought would be ideal. He went on to explain that also available are two toilets a shower and (if we want) a kitchen. The kitchen is optional and would cost £45 per night. This would mean that the kitchen would be for our exclusive use. He did though also mention that if there were other campers in other areas that wished to use the kitchen then he would reduce the price accordingly.

The price for the camp site (excluding the kitchen) is £3 per person per night. If 20 people were to camp for two nights and we had the kitchen included that would equate to £5 per person per night. A tenner for the weekend.

The camp site is situated a quarter of a mile from Much Wenlock so in easy distance for the stagger home from the pub.

Depending on the final choice of the rideout I think that this would be an ideal place to start and finish the ride. We have a whole field that could accommodate the bikes for the start of the run, and obviously the same on our return. There is also a BP garage in Much Wenlock, so again very convenient for those needing to fill up before we start the ride and again, for those that are not staying, head home

Here for those that are interested is the link to the website.

Sytche & Stokes Barn

Your thoughts please

EDIT: I forgot to mention, for those wanting hotels to stay in. There are at least three in Much Wenlock although I have not phoned any of them yet. For those wanting B&B, again I have not yet got on to that.

Old 26-01-06, 07:24 PM   #2
Anonymous

Sounds good to me. I'm not sure I'd use the kitchen but for just a few quid more its a good idea.
I'd go along with this idea.

Old 26-01-06, 07:46 PM   #3
admin
John T
Mega Poster

This might be a good place to start the rideout. If memory serves it's on the rideout route anyhow.

The current start point of Dobbies Island a49/a5 junction is a pig to get out of the services. Sythree , Daryl and I were looking for a better start point, so it might be easier to come down to MW.

This was the place that I had in mind, as it's the only campsite I know of in Shrewsbury (but I'm sure there are many more).
http://www.caravancampingsites.co.uk...evernhouse.htm

John
Old 26-01-06, 07:58 PM   #4
Stig

That looks like a nice site John, the only down side that I can see is that it only has 25 pitches. If some are already taken before we arrive I'm not sure that all the campers would fit in there.

Old 26-01-06, 07:59 PM   #5
El Saxo

Both look good to me, but not knowing the area i guess it depends which is better located for the rideout.

I noticed that John's suggested site states 'Rallies welcome' on it's site, which i guess we could be classed as if there are a lot of bikes turning up.

Old 26-01-06, 08:03 PM   #6
jonboy

I do like the idea of a separate field for us hooligans .

Old 26-01-06, 08:07 PM   #7
Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Saxo
I noticed that John's suggested site states 'Rallies welcome' on it's site, which i guess we could be classed as if there are a lot of bikes turning up.
Needs checking tho as could mean caravan rallies.

Old 26-01-06, 08:57 PM   #8
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

just been checking out possible places for me n mrs spidey to stay and found this site www.virtualshropshire.co.uk

So i'm browsing the hotles bit and came across this
******* Hall
01952 728775
57 Sheinton Street
Much Wenlock
Unique 15th Century Guest house with a wealth of beams and oak panelling. Rooms overlooking Wenlock Priory with tranquil garden. Located within 2 minutes walk of town.

The link to the hotels site dont work, sadly cos it actually looks quite nice in the pictures
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Old 26-01-06, 10:27 PM   #9
Ed

Guys - a few thoughts, I know both of these places well.

MW is a bigger site, no doubt. Plus it has the kitchen etc. A very pretty spot. However it's a bit of a stagger up the road (busy, and uphill) from the pubs in MW. Quite a few walkers/ramblers use the site. MW itself is a nice spot, small, deffo a village not a town, pitch black at night and you'd hear the owls and the nightingales. As re the B&Bs - well put it this way, Much Wenlock is not the sort of place that springs to mind when I think of bike meets. Getting out of the campsite would be a right turn onto a busyish road - the A458. The BP garage is on the other side of the village, but not far, heading for Bridgnorth. However MW could be a good place to start, in particular cos it gives a headstart on the route. But you'd miss the Cressage straight on the A458 between S'bury and Cressage, it's 2 miles straight as an arrow with excellent visibility, and also the ride up Wenlock Edge.

Montford Bridge - on the west side of S'bury, also very, very pretty, in the grounds of The Old Swan pub - good food too - right next to the Severn, so may be some midges around in summer, and if you're plastered there's a falling in hazard. There's another campsite on the other side of the river, Severn View or something I think. I'll have a mosey down, it's only a few miles away from here. Funny, I pass through Montford Bridge when I go to Ellesmere Port one day a week & never take any notice. It's a quiet road through MB (the old A5). No PFS in MB, the nearest is here at Meole Brace (pronounced Meal Brace). There's a big retail park here, so that would be a good place to start (John is right - the car park at Dobbies on the A5/A49 roundabout is hell on earth to get out of), and also there's another big car park behind the BP PFS here. Plus, Meole Brace is about a mile and a half from S'bury town centre. And you get the fabulous Cressage straight. Lots of B&Bs on the south side of S'bury.

If we start at Much Wenlock then on the way back we could cut off the bit from Newtown to Shrewsbury via Welshpool, and take the A489 from Newtown via Churchstoke to just above Craven Arms, up the A49 to Church Stretton (busy, but not far), then right at the traffic lights in CS onto the B something-or-other to Much Wenlock (this road's one of John's favourites!), all ace biking roads.

Old 27-01-06, 07:28 AM   #10
darylB

While there are no filling stations in montford bridge there is one just a few miles away in Ford, also the home of Dinky's diner, a hugely popular cafe type place with a large car park that can hold loads of bikes and easy to get back out of to start the ride from.

Daryl