SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-01-06, 11:49 AM   #1
Tris

Default Over charging

I've checked all the posts and can't find anything that answers my question.

I've fitted one of those LED voltage meters and find if I run with the lights on I get 12v, turn lights off and get off the scale overcharge indicated

I double checked with a multieter when I got home and confirmed 15+ volts.

So question is, can a knackered regulator be masked by a duff battery if I'm seeing an overcharge.

Cheers

Tris
Old 27-01-06, 11:59 AM   #2
BillyC
Mega Poster

Your battery won't be charging properly unless it's getting something in the region of 15-17v passed across its terminals.

I think that's pretty standard - Sid Squid will no doubt confirm or correct me.
Old 27-01-06, 12:25 PM   #3
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Voltage across the battery terminals should be 11-12V with the bike off, 13-15V with it running (perhaps off-idle). It sounds very much like the regulator/rectifier unti is clapped, stop riding it before you cook something electronic.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-06, 12:38 PM   #4
mac

I served my apprenticship in a car battery factory and seem to remember 14.4v to the battery when charging as being the correct figure ( not sure about bikes though ).

Battery when being unused should be above 12v ( around 12.5 ish ) if its not should be charged ( again car batterys )

Dont know how much help that is

Old 27-01-06, 12:52 PM   #5
Diveboy

Having just (last night) replaced my regulator. I used this post as my basis for deciding what the problem was http://forums.sv650.org/viewtopic.ph...hlight=battery and Sid was also extremely helpful.

You should be getting 13.5v or more with lights on reving to 5k or over.

I got a none SV one from ebay for £9 all in. SV ones must be crap I think this is the 5th post in a week or so about them going tits up.
Old 27-01-06, 01:10 PM   #6
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Absolute maximum of 15 volts.

Make sure the meter is accurate - many aren't - if it is then congratulations, you're the first ever owner of an SV650 that charges too well.

Mostly they undercharge and leave you with a flat battery, anyway the result will be the same; battery grief. However a fried battery - which is what will happen if your bike is significantly overcharging - can't be fixed by sticking it on charge for few hours.

Properly overcharging, that is; loads too much, carries the teensy weensiest chance of the battery exploding, not funny, not even a bit.

Fortunately this mostly happens to Ducatis, so that's alright then.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-06, 03:39 PM   #7
Tris

Cheers everyone

Better make sure that the meter is accurate before I do anything else!

There must be someone at work in the controls section with a decent calibrated source to check it against. Alternativly I think one of my mates has a Fluke which should be better than my £15.99 one from B&Q!!

Tris
Old 28-01-06, 05:33 PM   #8
GSXR Carlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid
Fortunately this mostly happens to Ducatis, so that's alright then.
don't tell Peter then
Old 21-02-06, 12:13 PM   #9
Tris

Still trying to work this one out!!!

Fired up the bike this weekend and left it idling. Voltage started out OK 14v(ish) but slowly crept up to 15.9v!

I found this yesterday

http://www.users.waitrose.com/~paso/regulator.htm

The significant bit being

Quote:
The condition of the battery can also effect the regulator. If you let the electrolyte level get too low then the regulator 'senses' that the battery is flat and increases its output. This can result in the battery being overcharged and the regulator being overworked. A common failure with old motorcycle batteries is that one cell shorts internally. Once again the regulator is overworked with the impossible task of trying to bring this battery up to 12 volts!
Does this make any sense as I don't want to get a new regulator only to find it's the battery

Hopefully!!

Tris