SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 01-07-07, 04:38 PM   #1
600+

Default Customs confescated my parcel !!!!

As per the title really, my parents sent me a parcel with 2 cartons of sigs from Greece as they are cheaper there.

Time went by and they didn't turn up so I asked them to send me another 2. Just as the 2nd parcel was due to turn up a letter from customs came through saying they have confescated the 2 cartons from the initial parcel as they believed it was for profit and not for personal use!

So I wrote them a letter explaining the case i.e. it is for personal use & the 2nd parcel was sent as the first was thought to be lost and they came back saying that

"Although we believe what you're saying we stand by our initial decision which we believe was correctly made under the circumstances"

Are they allowed to do so? My other options are take them to court were if I lose I will have to pay their fees.

Any suggestions please??

Cheers
Old 01-07-07, 05:02 PM   #2
philipMac

Default Re: Customs confescated my parcel !!!!

Stop smoking?
Old 01-07-07, 05:34 PM   #3
tigersaw
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600+ View Post

Are they allowed to do so?
Hell yes. I wouln't even consider taking them on either.
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-07, 06:23 PM   #4
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Send in a complaint and make it official.If you have it written that they believe the tabs were for personal use and not for profit then they should not nick them.
Truth is they are trying to fob you off cos they have already either smoked them or sold them.
Old 01-07-07, 08:00 PM   #5
lynw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles View Post
Send in a complaint and make it official.If you have it written that they believe the tabs were for personal use and not for profit then they should not nick them.
Truth is they are trying to fob you off cos they have already either smoked them or sold them.
*sigh* I wasnt going to bother giving any more advice given the amount of grief I get for it.

But when someone posts something which is wrong I dont really have much choice. In future before anyone posts, could you PLEASE make sure you are factually correct before doing so? ie BB perhaps make sure you are fully aware of what the law defines as personal use hmmm?

He mentioned sigs so Im presuming hes talking about cigarettes. You know, the things its ILLEGAL to import without paying duty on unless you bring them in yourself for personal consumption.

Customs ARE NOT fobbing him off. The importation of cigarettes is for personal use.

Thats personal use by the PERSON BUYING AND IMORTING THE GOODS THEMSELVES [just in case that wasnt clear enough for you all ].

He can complain all he likes - the fact is it is not for personal use. He didnt buy them PERSONALLY in Greece did he? Hence complaints are pointless. He can take HMRC to court for all I care, he WILL lose. The law is very very clear on this definition of personal use.

For the record, they get destroyed and before you start, I have actually seen this happen. But then wtf would I know. I only worked for Customs for 13 years.
Old 01-07-07, 08:05 PM   #6
keithd

so, lyn. what are you saying?

sorry.
Old 01-07-07, 08:15 PM   #7
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Sorry.My comment was not meant to be taken too seriously.I should have added a few

Having said that I always advocate having a pop at mindless bureaucracy and petty officialdom.I wouldn't advocate taking anyone to court or losing lots of money though.
Old 01-07-07, 08:20 PM   #8
Razor

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipMac View Post
Stop smoking?
+1
Old 01-07-07, 08:35 PM   #9
Stingo

I thought every body knew that you couldn't just put stuff like this in the post. One of those sort of assusmption thingies I suppose.

Mate of mine at work on Friday had to sort out a 'friendly' disagreement. A lad from NI was trying to explain to his mate from Sheffield what was involved in travelling home. In the end my mate had to show the Sheffield lad a map and point to Ireland. "Look - see that? Surrounded by water? It's Ireland."

His answer?

"How was I supposed to know? I'm from Sheffield".

Pure class!! Had to re-insert my lungs after that one. Followed by much shaking of head in disbelief.
Old 01-07-07, 09:20 PM   #10
600+

all thanks for your help

lynw - i'll take your word for it based on your experience I think it's quite conclusive when you redefine "personal use"

again thanks