SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-07-17, 10:48 PM   #1
Van_Isle SV

Default Jetting ?

Hey I have a 2001 with an M4 Slip-on and stock air box and filter. I'm getting lots of popping/backfiring on de-acceleration. I have read lots about jetting for M4 full systems with after market filters and altered air boxes, but nothing for slip-on only. Is anyone running this set-up and have had the same problem ? If re-jetting is the answer should I do both or just the pilots ? is there anything else I should/could do ?.

Thanks
Old 17-07-17, 06:43 AM   #2
SheepShagger

Default Re: Jetting ?

Put it on a dyno for a fuelling run and all will be revealed.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-17, 08:23 AM   #3
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Main only, but yes really a dyno set-up is needed to know what's going on. If you look on svrider.com then beware, the Yanks seem to go for massive upjetting for little apparent reason. Have you got the PAIR or similar system on yours, that bleeds air in the zorst to burn off excess fuel gases? If so then this is likely the problem, or leaks around the headers.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-17, 03:29 PM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

with stock air box and filter with a slip on (no matter what make) you should not need to re-jet. i would look elsewhere on the bike for your answer. old plugs, leaky exhaust joints (most likely culprit), vacuum leaks, worn needle jets and or emulsion tubes (usually fouls plugs very quickly), the list can go on and on.

the curvy does pop and bang on deceleration so it could be normal depending on just how bad it is.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-17, 06:19 PM   #5
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
the curvy does pop and bang on deceleration so it could be normal depending on just how bad it is.
They all do that Sir

Mine does, it's never bothered me much, my CX500 did too
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-17, 08:07 PM   #6
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Also check for worn,"Air-Cut-Off" valves.These enrich the fuel/air mixture when closing the throttle.If faulty you will get popping.Neither my 1999 SV650 pops on declaration nor any of my CX500s ever popped on deceleration once I knew the fix.I suspect the the same will be true with Carbed SVs like mine etc.

Parts around 34/36 on here,

https://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-sv650s-...6.html#results

I did a lot of work on CV carbs over the years with my CXs and this was a common overlooked fault area along with Air leaks into the carbs.
Old 18-07-17, 01:44 AM   #7
Van_Isle SV

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post
Also check for worn,"Air-Cut-Off" valves.These enrich the fuel/air mixture when closing the throttle.If faulty you will get popping.Neither my 1999 SV650 pops on declaration nor any of my CX500s ever popped on deceleration once I knew the fix.I suspect the the same will be true with Carbed SVs like mine etc.

Parts around 34/36 on here,

https://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-sv650s-...6.html#results

I did a lot of work on CV carbs over the years with my CXs and this was a common overlooked fault area along with Air leaks into the carbs.
Thanks I'll check that out
Old 18-07-17, 09:47 AM   #8
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Also as recently as a couple of weeks ago a guy came on the forum with similar problems.His was fixed with a shot of RedX fuel treatment.Both myself and other members have been using this product for years.
Basically get a 250 ml bottle and take it to the Petrol/Gas station and when you fill up just before the tank is full put half a bottle in.This will clean the fuel system out and also helps stop carbon forming in the cylinders.
This will last for thousands of miles but I like to put a couple of cap fulls in every third or fourth tank as it also stabilizes fuel as my SV gets left unused when I work away.Same as if,"Winterizing" the bike and stops the fuel going stale.

As you are in Canada it may not be easily available but STP fuel treatment is the same.

https://www.amazon.ca/STP-Countor-Ca...fuel+treatment

Most Auto parts shops sell it as well and Asda/Wallmart Supermarkets usually carry it or similar.

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 18-07-17 at 09:51 AM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote