SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-08-11, 07:25 AM   #1
metalmonkey

Default Kawasaki ZX-6R

I'm thinking of changing my bike, just for a change something different I would like a supersport 600, probally the above bike. Been bored not being sleep in, been looking at these bikes. Quite a few people have said they are more comfy than the SV as well which is a factor for me. My shoulder and back isn't the best at the moment.

Whats the running cost of these bikes? For servicing, tyres, insurance ect, I have 4 ncb, have a garage live in the suburbs of London. Which year of bike is a good to one go for and whats the differnce between them?

I don't get online much at the moment first time I have used my laptop in a few days.

Any thoughts?
Old 21-08-11, 07:54 AM   #2
pookie

Default Re: Kawasaki ZX-6R

Depends how tall you are and how much you weigh. I'm a welter weight midget and 2007 zx6r p7f is very firm in comparison to sv1k and previous sv650. I feel all the bumps. Still looking to soften the ride some more as I really dont need to tear round a track.

I fitted trackstar heli pars to raise the front bars 1.5 inch and relax the wrist position which helped but i didnt find the previous riding position too bad. I added a diy gel insert to the seat to soften the impact.

MPG is great in line with what i was getting with sv650. I'm captain slow btw. Insurance is the same as 03 sv1k
Not had much to do with servicing other that oil and filters. 2007 zx6r reverted back to 599cc from the 636 engine.

Fun ..yes
Comfy ..maybe ( i can touch the floor better and its lighter to wheel around the garage).

Has big grin factor and superb new bike feel. I'd like to take it on longer rides than my commute. I still have the sv as its a nice lazy ride in
Now - 2010 Triton blue sv650s -Back to the future

Last edited by pookie; 21-08-11 at 07:55 AM.
pookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-11, 08:25 AM   #3
Murph

INsurance wise, mine double between a SV and a R6 (which is the same class of bike as the kawasaki?). The SV is insurance group 9/10 where as the kawasaki is group 15/16.
Old 21-08-11, 08:28 AM   #4
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

What age ZX6R you looking at?
Old 21-08-11, 08:44 AM   #5
rictus01
Mega Poster

Chris if you look at previous posts on ZX6R's you see they basically fall into two groups the C1-A1P (up to 2002-3) and the later models, the earlier bikes are a much more general and rounded approach by Kawasaki to the sector, very good practical bikes (think cbr600f), physically bigger and much more comfy a generally good alrounder (like Ian's/Caz/Jambo's/Ric's), from 2003 Kawasaki changed their outlook on this model and started on a more focused bike, loosing (IMO) a good deal of the practicallity, smaller and more compact, firmer/harsher ride, compacted riding position, in order to gain a performance edge over the competition, whilst it's possible to still commuting and touring and such on a later bike, it's harder work as the idea was more track oriented. insurance tends to reflect this with the earlier bikes being cheaper not old because they are older, but the type of use they are put to.

As to runnig costs, very few bikes can match the SV, in a like for like comparison, so expect more in the tyres/brakes cost, but be sensible and it's not a lot, servicing isn't really any more, although if you start finding multiple trackdays on the cards....all bets are off....Oh and a lot more to repair than a SV would be to.

HTH

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!

Last edited by rictus01; 21-08-11 at 08:46 AM.
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-11, 08:48 AM   #6
Lozzo

I've got a mint 2008 (green) and another mint 2009 (blue) at work - both for sale. The 2009 is much more focussed as a track based bike, the 2008 is easier to ride on road but both are fairly radical in terms of comfort and harshness in the suspension department.

As Pookie said, the ZX6R went back to a 600cc engine for 07 and the 08 is pretty much the same as the 07 bike except some minor differences like a smaller rear light and graphics on the bodywork. The 2009 bike hasn't changed much to date, basically it came in different colours for 2010 and different again for 2011.

I haven't a clue how they ride as a day to day bike because I only ever test ride them around the block after pdi or when they have running problems (usually caused by fitting aftermarket exhausts and O2 sensor eliminators)
Old 21-08-11, 09:17 AM   #7
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Also whats your budget?

The pre 2003's can be picked up for under 2k have seen them going private for 1200 notes in good nick.
ManxMatt has got a early 636 and goes two's up on it.

Lozzo that goes for most of the current SS600's though. I'm 6ft and a current R6 is close to hell for me.

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-11, 10:41 AM   #8
Jackie_Black

I had a 2008 p7f after my sv. I kept it 4 months. IMO it wasn't a road bike it was a track weapon with lights on. Went like the clappers though. 2nd gear limiter = ban

I got rid because it was so hard and focused I only thought about going fast on it and that's a recipe for disaster!
I still think twins are better on the road.
Old 21-08-11, 03:27 PM   #9
sv4me
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmonkey View Post
Quite a few people have said they are more comfy than the SV as well
They def ain't talking about mine

I'll go along with whats been said, you're safe upto a 2002 A1P model for comfort and practicality. And it still has the capacity advantage over other 600s for a little added mid range. Then they made the B1h like mine which is a torture rack in disguise. Ballistically quick and fantastic handling/fun if you're in the mood and like redlining it everywhere. The induction noise still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up 7 years on after buying it the radial brakes are awesome, rear shock not so much. 2bh its a bit of a pig on our roads, far too harshly sprung but show it a track or smooth road and all is forgiven if you're feeling off or just out for a bimble though its hell. You've got to be focused. And if you're tall you better be a contortionist. I'm 5'7 and fits me just right, did a 2,000 mile euro trip on it and didnt come back a hunchback

They softened it slightly for the '05-'06 model which I never liked, too bulbous. Then they went back to small and compact with the '07-'08 model. If I was buying another one i'd go for one of them. The newer model looks fugly IMO
sv4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-11, 05:27 PM   #10
Villers

I found my 2006 model to resemble nothing short of a torture rack. At times it was back breaking, wrist crunching hell. On the boil (i.e when I could be bothered!) it was fantastic, unfortunately every day isnt a hoon and sometimes I just had to get to work. If you have any kind of pre-existing problems with your back etc I wouldnt recommend one of the focused models as such to you. I currently hoon and commute on a RSV-R and its a lot more comfy, bearing in mind Im only 5'8"ish the 636 seemed very cramped at times!