SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-06-13, 02:52 PM   #1
warrenhewitt10

Default Idling Issue YZF-R6

Hello all,

I got myself a 2006 R6 many months ago, but due to the worlds worst handled insurance claim I am still currently not insured on it, so its not been out for a proper run in a long time. I just start it from time to time to make sure its still alive.

I have noticed however that it is pretty hard to start and keep running. The bike bursts into life instantly, revs will rise, but as soon as you let go of the throttle it will die. It will do this over and over again until you hold the revs on for a few seconds then let it drop slowly. Once this has been done, it idles perfect, you could rev it all day and it will be fine. Its just the initial start that doesnt seem to work.

The bike only has 4086 miles on it, however it had only had the 1 oil change its whole life, at 600 miles before I bought it. Which I know isnt good thing. Now its got new oil, plugs, oil filter, air filter and 5 litres of super unleaded in it. When I took the old plugs out they were quite wet from fuel.

Does the bike just need a good run out, I think it had been stored from last October.

Give me your thoughts...