SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Track Days Post up here about trackdays

Old 04-06-07, 07:47 PM   #1
hovis

Default trackday overtaking

in the breifing we were told only to overtake on the straights, & not in the bends, but i found i struggled against the "bigger" bikes, so i started overtaking people on the inside of the bends

nothing was said to me, so i kept doing it

is this ok?
Old 04-06-07, 07:54 PM   #2
weazelz

Default Re: trackday overtaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovis View Post
in the breifing we were told only to overtake on the straights, & not in the bends, but i found i struggled against the "bigger" bikes, so i started overtaking people on the inside of the bends

is this ok?
so long as you're not "stuffing it up the inside" & causing people to have to sit the bike up, then that's fine. a little space & courtesy go a long way

if it was your first trackday in the novice group - & I seem to rememer you said it was no overtaking ont he first session? - then it sounds like they were being extra cautious. going around the outside is possibly better, especially if you're going past a novice, as it means that you're not interfering with their line, but a sensibly done, up-the-inside-on-the-brakes *before* the turn-in is usually acceptable
Old 04-06-07, 08:09 PM   #3
Tim in Belgium

Yep, as long as you give the other guy reasonable space overtaking round corners is fine I'd say. However if it's a tight complex and you know you can take the guy in an upcoming more open turn it may be more polite to wait until then.

Last sesion of my last track day had a great ding dong with a guy on a GSXR 750, we left each other loads of space, but still swapped positions between 5 & 7 times, went and had a chat with him afterwards as we'd had so much fun.
Old 04-06-07, 09:30 PM   #4
Blue_SV650S

Quote:

is this ok?
No, if they specifically said "No overtaking apart from on the straights" then it is not OK to do it in the bends ... I can't believe you are asking this question Hovi!!

The correct questions should be "Are you not supposed to overtake in the corners at trackdays? - as the bloke said .... " ... the answer to that would be ... that is track/organiser and even group dependent, but generally as long as it is 'clean' corner overtaking is acceptable unless told otherwise ...
Old 11-06-07, 03:26 PM   #5
hovis

well if its good enough for rossi........
Old 11-06-07, 03:29 PM   #6
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
well if its good enough for rossi........
I love the way Rossi pushes the front end so hard to get the Duke back that it looks like the front end is washing at every turn!! ... Rossi is so
Old 14-06-07, 12:02 AM   #7
monkey

Just try and think of the people your overtaking. I'm a relative newbie to track riding and have been sent over the grass all because someone couldn't wait to get in front. Overtaking on the chequered flag really gets my goat. It's a simple rule yet some people don't seem to be able to follow it. There are always morons on track days-don't be one of them! (Please)