SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 05-09-18, 07:57 AM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default another Darwin award candidate

I don't know whether you have been following the (USA) NFL debacle. In a nutshell - some players have been kneeling during their National Anthem to protest against so many black people being shot by the police.

The "face" of this protest is Colin Kaepernick and now Nike have now chosen him to represent them as a sporting hero in their adverts.

In protest, a few Nike owning individuals have protested by burning their shoes (apparently forgetting that they have already paid Nike). This guy in the pics was so incensed he forgot to take them off before setting them alight.

https://www.thepoke.co.uk/2018/09/04...hoolboy-error/

I'm beginning to think climate change has a side effect of making people more stupid, or maybe cell phones do cause brain disease?
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-18, 09:10 AM   #2
kaivalagi
Mega Poster

Default Re: another Darwin award candidate

It definitely explains how trump got so many votes...

Triumph and Suzuki owner
kaivalagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-18, 10:41 AM   #3
Bibio
Mega Poster

i cant stand all this "i'm black i deserve special treatment" pish. i dont give two spots on a teens face what colour you are, you should not be using it as a "weapon" against other human beings.

why do so many coloured people get shot by police in America... its not the colour or race its about uneducated police having guns.. simples. same is true for the public having guns. i really dont understand "gun culture". if you need a gun to "protect yourself" then your a fekin pussy. same goes for those that threaten people by using guns.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-18, 11:45 AM   #4
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

That's what's called blind obedience. None of us should be so closed-minded to think that what is already in place is automatically acceptable.

Bibs not sure I agree, after all, if it were just a problem of uneducated police, they'd be shooting folk in the same proportions as their colour/demographic/whatever. The western world still has a problem where being white and/or a man is seen as, to some extent, superior. Maybe it's because that's where most of the money is so self-perpetuating.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-18, 11:46 AM   #5
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
For the most part I agree with you but then stories like this next one leave me conflicted:

https://rideapart.com/articles/motor...oma-washington

We don't have a written constitution in the UK but in the US, from an early age, children are taught to respect, obey and have total trust in their Constitution. It's hard for an outsider to understand the depth of commitment Americans have to their Constitution which is why the 2nd Amendment (the right to bear arms) causes such controversy: people are being killed unnecessarily (which nobody wants) but the Constitution protects gun ownership (and it's sacrosanct).
we get road rage over here where women are involved... do they carry guns.. no. as the police are mostly a phone call away.

only reason guns are legal in America is that there is money to be made.. plain simple truth of it. without selling weapons America would be a third world country. there is no reason the have a gun in a city or large town..... ever.
Old 05-09-18, 12:14 PM   #6
Bibio
Mega Poster

as we all know America's welfare/healthcare system is one of the worst for a western country. America has a high population of coloured people of which a large population is unemployed... you dont need to be a rocket scientist to work out why a lot of coloured people get shot in America. Same goes for any colour of skin if your unemployed.. you need to eat, if you cant make money you turn to crime.

BTW its happening in the UK with an upsurge in gun crime being reported.

if there were no guns then nobody could get shot... if there were no weapons there would be no wars... people are greedy, they want what others have. some people will kill others to have what they want.
Old 05-09-18, 03:04 PM   #7
keith_d
Mega Poster

Hmm, if only these issues were as simple as politicians and campaigners paint them.

America has a cultural attachment to guns for historical reasons. We can't fix that in any sensible timescale. Pretty much any law abiding American can have one or more guns and lots of them do.

So if you're a (violent) criminal the first thing you're going to need is a gun to defend yourself from other criminals and/or threaten law abiding folks. If the police try to stop you, there's a fair chance you're going have that gun and use it.

This results in the police being hyper-sensitive to people reaching for what might be a gun. Given the number of officers who get shot on duty (about 1 death per week in 2018 ) you can understand why they might be that way.

There appears to be a link between violent crime and poverty, and in the US there's still a lot of black poverty. 25% black people are poor vs 10% white (2010 figures). This is a national average and in some areas it's much worse. So you can see why police officers might be more inclined to see a black person as a possible criminal, and therefore a potential threat.

So combine the hair trigger reaction of officers who are in real danger of being shot with the assumption that black people are more likely to be criminals and you're going to see a disproportionate number of innocent black casualties.

Black lives do matter, but I don't see any chance of it getting better without addressing the underlying issues. Kneeling for the national anthem, or burning your Nike trainers is irrelevant.

Just my thoughts,

Keith.
keith_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-18, 04:22 PM   #8
Bibio
Mega Poster

as always k_d writes it a bit better than me
Old 05-09-18, 04:24 PM   #9
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

They should not only have the right to bear arms but also the right to arm bears. No picnic'er would be safe in America then.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Old 05-09-18, 07:05 PM   #10
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
They should not only have the right to bear arms but also the right to arm bears. No picnic'er would be safe in America then.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thanks for lightening the mood
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote