SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-02-12, 11:27 PM   #1
salchichas

Default FI fast idle problem.

My head is melted - sorry for the long story but here goes. Bought a damaged 06 sv to build a cafe racer. I have mounted the rad under the seat as part of my attempt to help give the bike a retro look - I know,I know, it was a lot of extra work, but I'm hoping the finished effect will be worth the effort. The bike was runing ok before the strip down. Now after rebuild it starts ok but idel speed is 3.5 to 4K! with no change through the temp range. No code showing on display, TPS and STV units were not tampered with as part of the re-build. Engine temp showing on display so I figure it is sending correctly to the engine management unit. Can anyone save my marrage, my job and end two weeks of sleeples nights by suggesting a possible solution to this one?
Old 18-02-12, 11:38 PM   #2
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Default Re: FI fast idle problem

Stuck STV, bad routing/faulty throttle cables. Maybe a big air leak.

The first thing I would do is pull the tank and airbox and twist throttle, watch everything move (vroom vroom noises optional) and see if anything jumps out at you. This sounds like a problem which should be apparent.

Last edited by yorkie_chris; 18-02-12 at 11:39 PM.
yorkie_chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-12, 11:56 PM   #3
Bibio
Mega Poster

sounds like the tickover screw needs adjusting. it's only SV's with twin spark that have self adjusting tickovers.

or as YC has said its the throttle cables. i would make sure that they are seated in the throttle grip housing properly as they are a right pain.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-12, 02:48 PM   #4
salchichas

Thanks for the advice Guy's. Cables running free and throttle valves snaping closed so no obvious machanical problems. The STV cycles and sits at about one third open at switch on and then closes fully when the engine is started. How does the fast idle system work, electrical or mechanical? Could this be an electrical problem in that something is telling the management unit to send extra fuel to the injectors? Thanks for the support and taking the time to help. Just a reminder that I moved the rad - could an airlock in the system be causing this problem????
Old 19-02-12, 03:01 PM   #5
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Fast idle on early FI systems is handled by STV actuator. At low temps the STV actuator turns a teeny bit and pushes primary linkage open a dab. If the STV is opening and closing as normal, then check the linkage for smooth, full movement, (only a tiny opening is needed to raise engine speed a few thousand RPM with no load), and check adjustment of the fast idle setting screw that links STV actuator to primary throttle linkage.

There's only one temperature sensor, if the display is reading a believable number then a problem with the electronics is somewhat less likely than a physical setup/adjustment fault.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-12, 10:28 PM   #6
salchichas

Default Re: FI fast idle problem.

TP output checked and correct. All cables and linkages lubed and runing free. Now idels at 3k from start up and gradually increases to 4k as temp rises - is it possible for a motorcycle to be cursed?????
Old 19-02-12, 11:08 PM   #7
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

TPS isn't the problem, fault is far more likely with either STV or linkage/fast idle adjustment.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-12, 10:33 PM   #8
salchichas

Success - or at least I hope so cos I cant work how this was the problem. Long story short - checked all linkages and all working fine. Then I started the bike (still runing at 4k idle speed) and removed the Air Temp sensor plug - no affect. I then removed the Air pressure sensro plugr (IAP) - no affect. Then more out of fristration than intent I bliped the throttle and to my supprise the engine settled to normal idle. If I refit the IAP plug and start the engine the bike now idles as nornal but if I blip the throttle, she returns to 4k idle???-when I remove the plug she settles to normal idle again.
Gona fit a new IAP sensor and I will post the outcome. Thanks for taking the time to give all that sound advice. I just hope this sensor is the cause of my problem. Anyone care to offer a view on why the IAP could cause this fast idle problem?