SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-06-12, 08:57 PM   #1
peeterus

Default My Debrix emulator settings.

I got them in the group buy 2, thanks to Dipper. They felt ok with 7.5W fork oil and 2,5turns preload but whith 12.5W oil the handle bars were shaking with the minimum bump. the emulator spring (1,5mmwire, 9mm diameter and 8.5active coils)calculated rate gives almost 80 pounds per inch and that is more than normal.
in order to get rid of that harshness i drilled another bleed hole 2.6mm and preloaded the spring only one turn. after a short ride first impression is very positive. all this in 37mm forks with 0,95springs, 150mm airgap and 12,5W fork oil.
Old 05-06-12, 08:36 AM   #2
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Default Re: debrix mod

What has that extra bleed done to it on applying brakes? I thought making bleed bigger made squishy. Why so many changes at once, now you can't tell which bit of curve was giving harsh feeling.

What forks? GS500 or something?
Old 05-06-12, 12:17 PM   #3
peeterus

Default Re: My Debrix emulator settings.

i read somewhere new originals come with two bleed holes and two dimples for tuning them yourself and monkey...
lets see if i can remember well: its been 4 successive different emu settings with same fork spring, air chamber and sag:
1st with 7.5W oil and 2.5 turns , felt great finally icould see the bottles go up and down fast and no shakes on my handlebars, you could really off-road it but bit bouncy
2nd 12.5W oil, 2,5 turns it was again harsh little brake dive and a bit high on the turns
3rd 12.5W oil, 2 turns and one extra 2.5mm bleed hole, less harsh but still not that nice feeling no big brake dive
last one 12.5W oil, 1 turn and bleed hole enlarged to 2.6mm now it dives more but far from bottom and suspension not my arms starts moving, alltoghether better feeling.
EDIT: see: http://www.racetech.com/page/title/E...Tuning%20Guide or how spring preload controls brake dive and read also page 36 of
Race Tech's Motorcycle Suspension Bible from "One of the biggest misconceptions about compression damping is that the faster you ride, the more you need." on

next experiments with lower rate springs may yield different curves really.
its a 96 gpz500

Last edited by peeterus; 05-06-12 at 10:52 PM.
Old 09-06-12, 01:32 PM   #4
peeterus

lighter spring definitely is the way to go, i used two #33 springs (i simply warped 8 coils over a 5,5mm drill bit with 1 foot pieces of steel wire 1,2mm diam. also called piano wire) that i put on with 2 turns of preload. the front felt better right from the beginning in bumps and middle of the turn also (i guess because the suspension stays more on the middle of its stroke), far from bottoming in hard breaking(without bump), it dives but rather controlled.
ii may be that the #80 spring comes from the fact that those things are sold for a bike 300kg dry weight!
(I can not believe that of dozens of debrix users on this forum nobody talk of harshness using them with >10W oil)

Last edited by peeterus; 09-06-12 at 01:47 PM.
Old 09-06-12, 05:13 PM   #5
MJC-DEV

You have a GPZ500, the stock Debrix seems to suit the SV without being harsh (in my case). I use a (thickish)10W and wouldn't want to use anything heavier (in the SV).