SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-03-16, 01:16 PM   #1
macamxthe1st

Default New house new bike ?

We have just moved to a village in the North Pennines and it is absolutely stunning and we cant believe our good fortune. There is however one small downside, I no longer have a garage and my bike parking is on an inclined drive so my beloved Strom has become a bit of a handful. I feel the solution may be to change it for the new SV 650 virtually the same terrific motor but significantly smaller and lighter. Could anyone with comparative experience of both please give me me their views please.

Thanks.

Geoff.
Old 22-03-16, 02:31 PM   #2
yamrdtez

Default Re: New house new bike ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by macamxthe1st View Post
We have just moved to a village in the North Pennines and it is absolutely stunning and we cant believe our good fortune. There is however one small downside, I no longer have a garage and my bike parking is on an inclined drive so my beloved Strom has become a bit of a handful. I feel the solution may be to change it for the new SV 650 virtually the same terrific motor but significantly smaller and lighter. Could anyone with comparative experience of both please give me me their views please.

Thanks.

Geoff.
all i can say is if your a biker don't buy an house with a inclined frontage. no matter what bike you buy how are you going to maintain it. oil level ect

if you have a level back garden what is the point of this thread

sorry forgot to say, you have a storm if you mean firestorm, yes they are an handful. i will add the best waste of motorcycle history ever

Last edited by yamrdtez; 22-03-16 at 02:47 PM.
Old 22-03-16, 03:00 PM   #3
tom_e

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamrdtez View Post
all i can say is if your a biker don't buy an house with a inclined frontage. no matter what bike you buy how are you going to maintain it. oil level ect

if you have a level back garden what is the point of this thread

sorry forgot to say, you have a storm if you mean firestorm, yes they are an handful. i will add the best waste of motorcycle history ever
He's got a Strom not a storm
tom_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-16, 03:08 PM   #4
yamrdtez

thanks for the pointer Tom the DL strom ok, sorry about that but the rest of my reply still stands
Old 22-03-16, 04:01 PM   #5
ManMango

I'm house hunting at the mo and we are not buying unless it has a garage :P

On that note the wife has asked if I would consider if we could rent or buy a non attached garage on a block if it was just over the road for example. This I would consider. Perhaps see if there is anything close to you?

Also the backgarden point is valid. If its accessible of course even if you had to make some fence/gate changes would be worth it.
Old 22-03-16, 04:34 PM   #6
macamxthe1st

What I am looking for is anyone who has gone fro V Strom to SV or indeed the other way and their comparative views.

Geoff.
Old 22-03-16, 07:04 PM   #7
Balky001
Mega Poster

Not owned a Strom but did own a HD which was around 250KG. Because it was lower it was actually pretty easy to move about, sat on it or walking it. Anything with weight lower down should be easier to move.

I wouldn't move house again for the sake of it
Old 23-03-16, 12:38 PM   #8
L3nny
Mega Poster

I have an SV and a V-Strom 1000 and the SV isn't that much easier to move around, it's still pretty heavy. All you need to do is master the side stand spin and then just ride it up the slope.
Old 23-03-16, 02:53 PM   #9
macamxthe1st

Tried the "Side Stand Spin" once you get the hang of it, very easy. Problem solved. Very helpful. Many thanks.

Geoff.