SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-03-07, 02:39 AM   #1
Decken

Question Need Help (fast idle)

To make a long story short...My 2005 SV650s was stolen, a week later the cops caught the guy and I got my bike back in one piece. When I got it back it was running poorly, the idle wouldn't drop bellow 3,000rpm and he had overfilled the oil. I got it home changed the oil and filter. I also cleaned my k&n air-filter. I started it again the idle dropped to 2,500rpm but wouldn't go any lower even with the idle screw completely backed out. So I started taking things apart again thinking maybe my valves needed to be adjusted. They where well within the tolerances. I also checked my spark plugs which seemed to be fine. I don't what to take it into the dealer because I don't have enough money and they are backed up a month. I really would appreciate any help I could get.

It runs rough and the idle wont drop bellow 2,500 rpm and when I do rev it up it takes more time then it should to drop rpm's. I have a 2005 sv650s with k&n air-filter and a after-market slip-on I had no problems with the bike before it was stolen. Any ideas of what I should do next would be awesome.

I forgot to mention I did check for oil in the air-filter box, and completely drained the gas and and refilled it with new premium gas. I also made sure everything on the throttle bodies were moving freely and checked the throttle cables. The Throttle Cables are Adjusted Correctly I made sure that they were not pulling the throttle open slightly.

Last edited by Decken; 19-03-07 at 04:07 AM.
Old 19-03-07, 03:52 AM   #2
jamesobrady

Default Re: Need Help

Slacken off your throttle cables totally.... Id reckon they were "adjusted" too much, pulling the throttle open slightly, and giving you the higher idle.

There are two cables, the opening cable is the front one on the twistgrip housing, this is the one that may be lacking enough slack.

With your idle screw adjusted right "open", slacken off the throttle cable until your engine dies and wont run. The adjust your idle screw back in until the engine runs and adjust it to your idle of 15-1800 rpm or so. Then tighten your throttle cable back until the slack is gone.

Also check that the airbox rubbers are on tight to the throttle bodies etc.

Let me know if it helps.

Last edited by jamesobrady; 19-03-07 at 03:55 AM.
Old 19-03-07, 04:04 AM   #3
Decken

Thanks for the help I will double check the airbox rubbers but the throttle cables have the recommend amount of play in them and are not pulling the throttle slightly open.

Last edited by Decken; 19-03-07 at 04:24 AM.
Old 19-03-07, 06:08 PM   #4
Torn-Thorax

What what this guy doing. He pinches a bike then decides the previous owner wasnt caring for it properly? Maybe he only took it from you becuase he figured it needed more oil....
Old 19-03-07, 10:25 PM   #5
Decken

The guy was a complete moron he was riding my motorcycle around town with my licenses plate and expired tags. I have no idea what kind of oil he put in and then he took of one of my frame sliders and didn't put the bolt back so it was missing one of the engine mount bolts and spacer.
Old 20-03-07, 12:26 PM   #6
jamesobrady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decken View Post
The guy was a complete moron he was riding my motorcycle around town with my licenses plate and expired tags.
I wish all bike thieves were like that.......